Official OTA Fails If You've Downloaded a Leaked Update

mlfca

Reaction score
It has been discussed that ota is the same as the leaked version. I updated with the leak about a month ago and I have not been able to get the ota because I already have it. Phone has been working great sine I did the update.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No then I don't have that download. I know I download it and the download completes, then it goes into the reboot while it installs, then when it starts back up, it'll say the install failed.

I know when I went back to .886 it didn't change the radio or kernel. I've read numerous times that those can't be reverted back. I just thought since this OTA is supposed to be the same as the leaked one, it would let me install it. And I can't. I just tried to reinstall the leaked version from http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...-update-file-str8-moto-no-root-necessary.html, but that link is now dead. So I'm kinda at a loss as to what to do next.

I've read that the 5.8.894 is going to be the final update prior to Ice Cream Sandwich being pushed and that 5.8.894 will update everyone's phone without regard to where you are on the update path. So you just need to be patient and wait for that update to be pushed.

Tonik

Reaction score
It has been discussed that ota is the same as the leaked version. I updated with the leak about a month ago and I have not been able to get the ota because I already have it. Phone has been working great sine I did the update.

Exactly. If you can't update because you applied the leaked update, relax you are already updated. It ain't broke, don't fix it.

dannyxiii

Reaction score
Same Boat

Hey, I'm currently in the same boat as well (updates failing).

I found a post somewhere on this website where people allegedly posted up links to the update file directly from their phone... (i didn't really trust it, but installed it any way) it worked, however i felt i needed to install it fresh from verizon as they intended with the download from their servers, and the phone installing it itself without me having to go into recovery and installing a download from another source.

So now i just did a recovery with Released root & forever root and am going to be trying to get this to work. Ill try to help you out if i find out anything :)

may i ask if under "about phone" you have "webtop version unavailable", or something else?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
mine says unavailable, but im still on one of the leaks, and ive never used webtop..

andjarnic

Reaction score
Update failing, not rooted...

Hey all,

I've read the replies here.. I am not finding a solution to my issue. I've got an unrooted bionic, on rom .886. I download the update, but every time I install it then reboot (it reboots on it's own), it says failed. What gives? Is there some special way to update now? I see from other google searches many others are having the same problem.. unrooted and update is failing.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Hey all,

I've read the replies here.. I am not finding a solution to my issue. I've got an unrooted bionic, on rom .886. I download the update, but every time I install it then reboot (it reboots on it's own), it says failed. What gives? Is there some special way to update now? I see from other google searches many others are having the same problem.. unrooted and update is failing.

it really has nothing to do with root, you can flash leaks without rooting.
if you truly have done nothing to the phone since you bought it, no root, no roms, nothing... then it should work
im assuming when you say "downloaded" you got the ota and didnt download the file from the forums.
if that is the case and your phone is out of the box stock, you could try to flash it with rsd.

i really havent read of anyone having issues where they didnt cause them..... could be just me... i live under a rock lol

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've read of folks in the same situation and they did a factory data reset and were able to install the update.

Good luck.

cbrmike

Reaction score
I gotta say it.... this is BS if we did not have all the data drop issues and if moto/vzw did not drag their feet with the OTA we would not be in this boat, and now they make it so that you cannot get the pushed update because you just wanted your phone to work by trying a leaked version. What a joke, I'm just glad that my leaked 5.7.893
works fine for now.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I gotta say it.... this is BS if we did not have all the data drop issues and if moto/vzw did not drag their feet with the OTA we would not be in this boat, and now they make it so that you cannot get the pushed update because you just wanted your phone to work by trying a leaked version.
works fine for now.

+ infinity lol,
we are with you and equally ready to go postal with you lol

Verro84

Reaction score
Im also having that issue I downloaded the update tried to install then it says it failed to install. I used fastboot restore and tried again and it still fails any ideas?

cbrmike

Reaction score
+ infinity lol,
we are with you and equally ready to go postal with you lol

LOL I'm not going postal here I just think that if someone wants to go with the pushed update after trying a leaked version it should be allowed considering all the issues this phone had at launch thats all.