Official Martial Arts Thread

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree with you there.. I actually have the day off tomorrow so I think I'll go check it out.

Where do you guys get a gi altered? Any old alterations place? I have a shureido gi that needs to be more...tournament cut...

Go to a good tailor or find someone with a good (heavy duty) machine and heavy thread. Most tailors will not have the heavy thread needed so you'll have to wait an extra day or so. I broke down and bought a machine just because it's cheaper in the long run (even the ultra-heavyweight gi (16oz) will rip with heavy grappling and sparring).

But you may not need the gi as much as you think. Many Jiu Jitsu schools now only wear gi about half the time. Thanks to the proliferation of MMA many grappling schools are moving away from them because gi chokes/holds, while nice, aren't very useful (and often not practical) in the ring and/or street.

J

Johnly

mucho respect to all that practice the disapline in the martial arts. My Dad is over 50 and trains in a mixed disapline. He is a MMA fighter and looks like chuck norris (literally)! Yeah my dad is not the one to rais hell too, ha ha, but he is ultra patient. He is psycho on his cardio too, like 50 miles a week. I, on the other hand, rely on good ol' "my crew is larger in numbers that yours!" Hey, isn't it about NOT having to fight? Just like Danial Larouso! OK, it is past my bed time:) Go Trans Martial Arts!

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's some crazy s**t kziwarrior that video is badd bro. Much respect from me!!!!

Thanks

Most all I do Sam is grapple. So if that's not something u enjoy maybe its not ur cup of tea.. its just amazing the different things u can do from one move to another once again IMO...

That's my take. I'm good at it but I don't like/prefer it simply because I don't care for the 'chess match' element. Probably in part because I came from striking systems so I generally just stick to submission defense and ground and pound. It's rare I go for submissions, maybe I'm just sadistic but I prefer the fell of hitting someone instead of choking them:icon_ devil: plus (for me anyway) I keep much better control of my environment when not tied up with someone. I've seen a few Jiu Jitsu guys get f*&#'d up because they get caught up with one guy and forget about his buddies:icon_eek:. But there is a certain aspect about it that many people like and everyone should have at least a basic understanding of submission defense.

Last edited:
J

Johnly

[video=youtube;O5tKPeKbHnk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5tKPeKbHnk"]YouTube - Tran's Master's Club Bo Staff Form[/video]
Yeah baby cakes!

OP
Sam

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
who's that?? is that you? your avatar is misleading.. ;)

armeddroid

Reaction score
2nd Dan Black Taekwondo (Korea)
2nd Dan Black Hapkido (Korea)
1 yr Ninjitsu (Germany)
2 yrs in Muy Thai Kickboxing (Indoneisa)
Want to study more Muy Thai and Wing Chung.
:D

Guurzak

Reaction score
I study with Francis Fong in Atlanta... he's been teaching Wing Chun since 1976. The man is amazing. The school also teaches BJJ (Pedro Sauer affiliate), Muay Thai (Ajarn Chai affiliate), and Kali and Silat (Dan Inosanto affiliate).

All 4 of them get together and tour around the network of schools a couple of times a year. If you ever get a chance to see a "Train With The Masters" seminar, it's well worth your time.

droider4life

Reaction score
I agree with you there.. I actually have the day off tomorrow so I think I'll go check it out.

Where do you guys get a gi altered? Any old alterations place? I have a shureido gi that needs to be more...tournament cut...
Let me know what u think Sam....

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
Black Belt in Taekwondo. nothing special got it when I was younger, not active anymore sadly. Took some jujitsu freshman and sophomore year of college.

droider4life

Reaction score
That's some crazy s**t kziwarrior that video is badd bro. Much respect from me!!!!

Thanks

Most all I do Sam is grapple. So if that's not something u enjoy maybe its not ur cup of tea.. its just amazing the different things u can do from one move to another once again IMO...

That's my take. I'm good at it but I don't like/prefer it simply because I don't care for the 'chess match' element. Probably in part because I came from striking systems so I generally just stick to submission defense and ground and pound. It's rare I go for submissions, maybe I'm just sadistic but I prefer the fell of hitting someone instead of choking them:icon_ devil: plus (for me anyway) I keep much better control of my environment when not tied up with someone. I've seen a few Jiu Jitsu guys get f*&#'d up because they get caught up with one guy and forget about his buddies:icon_eek:. But there is a certain aspect about it that many people like and everyone should have at least a basic understanding of submission defense.

I agree kz, you have a lot if good points. I can't argue. I think its best to study multiple arts. I would for sure get into a striking art if I had one available... I took boxing for a little while. That's about it...

droider4life

Reaction score
2nd Dan Black Taekwondo (Korea)
2nd Dan Black Hapkido (Korea)
1 yr Ninjitsu (Germany)
2 yrs in Muy Thai Kickboxing (Indoneisa)
Want to study more Muy Thai and Wing Chung.
:D

I study with Francis Fong in Atlanta... he's been teaching Wing Chun since 1976. The man is amazing. The school also teaches BJJ (Pedro Sauer affiliate), Muay Thai (Ajarn Chai affiliate), and Kali and Silat (Dan Inosanto affiliate).

All 4 of them get together and tour around the network of schools a couple of times a year. If you ever get a chance to see a "Train With The Masters" seminar, it's well worth your time.
Good on u guys keep it up..
Black Belt in Taekwondo. nothing special got it when I was younger, not active anymore sadly. Took some jujitsu freshman and sophomore year of college.
We gotta get u back in the game :)

bacalao

Reaction score
I fight/teach muay Thai. I travel to Thailand to train/fight once a year, my gym just opened a second permanent location in Bangkok, Khanomtom 62. I train Jui-jitsu off and on, but my heart is with muay Thai. I supplement training with Crossfit.

More promotion lol: Tampa Muay Thai | Fitness Tampa, Mixed Martial Arts Tampa, Personal Trainer Tampa, Karate, Jiu jitsu, MMA Training, 808 N Howard Ave Tampa, FL 33606, (813) 393-8390

I just fought last weekend in Atlanta. I lost but was a very fun fight! I sure earned that money! Be sure to check us out if you ever in Tampa.

armeddroid

Reaction score
I fight/teach muay Thai. I travel to Thailand to train/fight once a year, my gym just opened a second permanent location in Bangkok, Khanomtom 62. I train Jui-jitsu off and on, but my heart is with muay Thai. I supplement training with Crossfit.

More promotion lol: Tampa Muay Thai | Fitness Tampa, Mixed Martial Arts Tampa, Personal Trainer Tampa, Karate, Jiu jitsu, MMA Training, 808 N Howard Ave Tampa, FL 33606, (813) 393-8390

I just fought last weekend in Atlanta. I lost but was a very fun fight! I sure earned that money! Be sure to check us out if you ever in Tampa.

How long have you been in Tampa? I think i have heard of you from another source in Orlando.
And the fights in Atlanta? Where are they? I just moved to GA...and im only an hr away from the "A".

bacalao

Reaction score
armeddroid,

Been in Tampa for almost 4 yrs now, and fighting for just as long. I fought at Bangkok Fight Night V, against the promoter's fighter and was the only Pro muay Thai on the card.
Bangkok Fight Night

The promoter is a good guy, Khunpon. KHUNPON: Atlanta's Muay Thai legend teaching Bangkok Boxing
Has his own website haha. I would check out his gym, it's inside Adrenaline Health Club; Great facilities! Side note: Every other road in ATL is named Peachtree something! Freaking confusing. haha.

lumpysherman

Reaction score
I have been studying Brazilian jui-jitsu for 2.5 years and am getting ready for purple belt test (500 mat hours) its my life three nights a week.... Good stuff IMO...

there is a gracie jui-jitsu place less than 5 min from my house.. i just have no interest.. should i? this one: graciebalance
A friend of mine teaches Gracie and has been trying to get me to train with him. The only problem his school is an hour from my house and the thought of making that drive on saturday mornings or during the winter months does not appeal to me. I went to one clinic he offered and I did enjoy it.