1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Official Martial Arts Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Sam, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

just wondering what you folks have practiced.. I have noticed a lot of people mention it so i figured I would ask..

i have done a little bit of TKD and kenpo, but most of my training is in Judo and Isshinryu
  2. lumpysherman

lumpysherman New Member

I have about 6 years of Tang Soo Do. I am back after taking 18 months off, just to take a break from burn out.
  3. Sam

I would like to give tang su do a chance, but I don't think there is anywhere around here that teaches it.

bump for kziwarrior ;)
  4. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

My daughter is a Black Belt in Hapkido and Fifth-dan in Kendo....
    As for Myself I stick with corp hand to hand and .45 ;)
  5. Sam

i just found out they are teaching shotokan near where i go to school... i might jump on that since my background in isshinryu is largely shotokan-based anyway..

black: i very badly want to do some hapkido, but the closest thing offered around here is fencing.. and it's an hour away.
  6. droider4life

droider4life New Member

I have been studying Brazilian jui-jitsu for 2.5 years and am getting ready for purple belt test (500 mat hours) its my life three nights a week.... Good stuff IMO...
  7. Sam

there is a gracie jui-jitsu place less than 5 min from my house.. i just have no interest.. should i? this one: graciebalance
  8. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

? How did I get brought into this, lol.
    My primary discipline is Ken Zen Ichii. I hold the rank of Godan and am one of the primary/senior instructors for our branch (BSR, sorry, site hasn't been updated recently, I've been busy with a few things, check back in a month or so). I also have extensive training in various Jiu-Jitsu systems and weapons.

I'll agree with Backnblack (I often carry, alternating between my .40 and .45). But my preferred weapons are knives and the walking-cane:wink:.

Great thread:icon_ banana:

And for selfless promotion:icon_ banana:
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  9. Sam

i saw you mention it somewhere and thought I would start a thread... we can actually blame all this on you. ;)
  10. droider4life

droider4life New Member

HaHaHaHaHaHaHa Sam!!! That studio would be like the holy Grail Man!!!! I myself am a Pedro sauer affiliate.. Pedro is the man I have been to one if his three day seminars he is amazing so for u to have a 1st degree black belt ( jorge jiminez) less than five min away.. u HAVE TO CHECK IT OUT!!! I have not personally heard of Jorge but if he is one of Pedro's students he is sure to be very technical. I can assure u that u wont be dissapointed!!! (There was my rant. I apologize) ;)
  11. Sam

oh I meant JJ in general... I loved watching gracie kick...everything..in mma, but I'm not much of a grappler, despite my judo experience. can I get away with not doing much of that?
  12. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

LOL, fair enough. I've been blamed for far worse, lol:icon_ banana:
  13. droider4life

droider4life New Member

That's some crazy s**t kziwarrior that video is badd bro. Much respect from me!!!!
  14. droider4life

droider4life New Member

Most all I do Sam is grapple. So if that's not something u enjoy maybe its not ur cup of tea.. its just amazing the different things u can do from one move to another once again IMO...
  15. Sam

I agree with you there.. I actually have the day off tomorrow so I think I'll go check it out.

Where do you guys get a gi altered? Any old alterations place? I have a shureido gi that needs to be more...tournament cut...
  16. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Go to a good tailor or find someone with a good (heavy duty) machine and heavy thread. Most tailors will not have the heavy thread needed so you'll have to wait an extra day or so. I broke down and bought a machine just because it's cheaper in the long run (even the ultra-heavyweight gi (16oz) will rip with heavy grappling and sparring).

But you may not need the gi as much as you think. Many Jiu Jitsu schools now only wear gi about half the time. Thanks to the proliferation of MMA many grappling schools are moving away from them because gi chokes/holds, while nice, aren't very useful (and often not practical) in the ring and/or street.
  17. Johnly

Johnly Guest

mucho respect to all that practice the disapline in the martial arts. My Dad is over 50 and trains in a mixed disapline. He is a MMA fighter and looks like chuck norris (literally)! Yeah my dad is not the one to rais hell too, ha ha, but he is ultra patient. He is psycho on his cardio too, like 50 miles a week. I, on the other hand, rely on good ol' "my crew is larger in numbers that yours!" Hey, isn't it about NOT having to fight? Just like Danial Larouso! OK, it is past my bed time:) Go Trans Martial Arts!
  18. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Thanks

That's my take. I'm good at it but I don't like/prefer it simply because I don't care for the 'chess match' element. Probably in part because I came from striking systems so I generally just stick to submission defense and ground and pound. It's rare I go for submissions, maybe I'm just sadistic but I prefer the fell of hitting someone instead of choking them:icon_ devil: plus (for me anyway) I keep much better control of my environment when not tied up with someone. I've seen a few Jiu Jitsu guys get f*&#'d up because they get caught up with one guy and forget about his buddies:icon_eek:. But there is a certain aspect about it that many people like and everyone should have at least a basic understanding of submission defense.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  19. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Yeah baby cakes!
  20. Sam

who's that?? is that you? your avatar is misleading.. ;)