[Official]LG G3- Who is Going to Buy this Phone

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
LTE-A implements, among other things, carrier aggregation. This allows the combination of multiple, different bands to create more bandwidth. LTE-A also implements VoLTE, which in theory will be better than current voice services offered today.

If Thailand uses the same bands, it couldn't hurt to try if you have the urge. You can always sell it.

jspradling7

Reaction score
I find the M8 comfortable and supposedly the G3 is right there with it ..

I get along with the M8 alright too because they kept it narrow so it fits on my belt well. It is longer because of the speakers but the length is not as prohibiting as devices as wide as the Note 3 or G3.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Thailand uses the same bands as the US. I intend on getting the G3 or G3 Prime when released here.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
The G3 will be available in many countries in the next week or two. Why bother with the Korean variant when you can get an unlocked version that is 100% compatible with the US.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I used to be "That Guy" who had the latest Android phone and snickering at my peers as they had to wait another year for the iPhone to catch up.

No more. I bought a Moto X from AT&T on contract because I broke my beloved S3. Once I had the cash, I shelved the Moto X and bought a Nexus 5.

While I watch the latest releases of mobile devices when I have time to pay attention to them, I no longer have the desire to spend anywhere from $500 to $800 on the next big thing. Sure there are phones I would love to get my hands on, I just don't have the time to fiddle and play with them like I used to. I need a hone that works out of the box without issue, and I want to be able to root it.

The LG G3 looks to be an awesome phone. The Nexus 5 isn't a bad device either. But IMO, there is no reason to purchase a device that doesn't support all of the available bands your carrier uses. Two weeks to a month (sometimes more) is not too far in the future to wait for your desired device.

That being said, while the US gets most, if not all, of the major handset releases for flagship phones, not all countries are afforded this luxury. If you know your carrier will not release a device in your country, then it wouldn't be so bad to look for one compatible with your carrier but sold in another country.

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
The thing is it will be available in the US and sure the device can be rooted in the current state of Android 4.4.2. But, this device really should have launched with version 4.4.3 and I just know that this next Android update is going to close Root. Having an international device there really is a better chance that root will be restored, US versions are very difficult to discover new root exploits, it's just the way things are. This is also a reason why I would only consider purchasing a Developer device of the G3 in the US, but is highly unlikely that Prime G Developer device would be released.

Believe it or not, but I'm actually starting to get turned off by this device. :frown:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Well said froggie. Here in Thailand we do not have carrier subsidised phones. We pay full boat. All phones are factory unlocked, some have unlocked bootloaders as well.
Since Asia is such a huge mobile phone market used phones can be a good value. The average person can not afford to pay $7-800 for a phone and buy from the used resellers. In fact, our Malls have complete floors of retailers selling both new and used phones. Today you can buy a used or demo S5 for 450-500.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
The thing is it will be available in the US and sure the device can be rooted in the current state of Android 4.4.2. But, this device really should have launched with version 4.4.3 and I just know that this next Android update is going to close Root. Having an international device there really is a better chance that root will be restored, US versions are very difficult to discover new root exploits, it's just the way things are. This is also a reason why I would only consider purchasing a Developer device of the G3 in the US, but is highly unlikely that Prime G Developer device would be released.

Believe it or not, but I'm actually starting to get turned off by this device. :frown:
What does the device have to do with it. You will be presented with the same issue on any device running 4.4.3 or any future OS update.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I get along with the M8 alright too because they kept it narrow so it fits on my belt well. It is longer because of the speakers but the length is not as prohibiting as devices as wide as the Note 3 or G3.

Yup it's longer but I've gotten used to it already ..especially with LMT one handed action is a breeze ...

I'd wait for the AT&T version I'm one I don't want to run a phone that gets most bands ..why not get the one that runs perfectly ..if traveling then yes I'd consider ..

M8 tap'd

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
What does the device have to do with it. You will be presented with the same issue on any device running 4.4.3 or any future OS update.

Carriers have everything to do with a device. Essentially from our point-of-view there's a couple of devices there's Verizon's, AT&T's, Sprint's, T-Mobile's, and pretty much everything else for the most part is viewed as International. While I don't think it is the best point of view, it just seems that most people are only interested in what is offered by their carrier and pay little attention to anything else. From a Development standpoint carriers like Sprint and T-Mobile have been known as the least restrictive and carriers like AT&T and Verizon are heavily restricted. Verizon most often has a larger Development audience, but this has been changing. While I say International devices, these usually not bound by carriers as the US system functions there is less control, the Unlocked devices if they function more regularly on particular US Network are more attractive to buyers that can pay out right for them. As I was saying with the 4.4.3 update the US Carriers will initiate the updates on their servers, which the updates are carrier specific, Verizon will have it's own 4.4.3 Update as T-Mobile will have it's own 4.4.3 update. Which more than likely the Root Exploit from 4.4.2 will be closed thanks to the carriers firmware. As for those that own the LG G3 F400s, I'm sure they will extract the firmware and radio from the download package test both out and find out what works best to install. The difference here is that on one side you have carriers that control the devices and on the other hand you really have the manufacturer that controls the devices. The Android 4.4.3 update will come from LG which I would imagine it goes directly to the Korean devices and certainly the other devices that are unlocked or not linked to carrier, for those G3 devices that are in fact linked to a carrier then the 4.4.3 update would go to the carrier, it would then be at the carriers digression whether to push out the update or to change or modify the update to the carriers specification.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
In the US, VZW and AT&T prefer the bootloaders to be locked. One can speculate as to why, I have my theories, though I am not sure any carrier has specified why. If it is branded, it is likely going to be locked. This is not exclusive.

For carriers selling the international version, they may opt to lock them or not. I am not too familiar with them. The US usually gets different models, while for the most part, the European versions tend to share the same or similar model numbers. Often times, hardware is also different.

You can almost bet a VZW or AT&T phone will have a locked bootloader. That does not explicitly mean that root cannot be established, if I am not mistaken. However, IMO, it is preferred to be able to "fastboot oem unlock" than to have to use Odin or RSDLite a file to get the bootloader unlocked. I want the option there to do so when I please.

If an international, developer or GPE device is offered, I will pay cash for it. I only recently took a Moto X on contract with AT&T because I killed my phone. It is a great phone, but I take frequent nandroid backups of my phone and store them. Without a custom recovery, it isn't possible.

Sometimes, IMO, it isn't worth the hassle to buy a carrier branded phone. They also tend to receive updates significantly more slowly than the non-carrier branded versions because once it goes from Google to OEM, branded phones then have the carrier messing with settings.

/end

I think...I am mostly babbling in the attempt to show a different viewpoint which may not be applicable to all readers.

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
I think...I am mostly babbling in the attempt to show a different viewpoint which may not be applicable to all readers.

Wait I thought I was just babbling...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Wait I thought I was just babbling...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The collective thoughts in my mind sometimes make their way out. Sometimes it is informative and sometimes not. I try to curb the useless thoughts. They do slip out though.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Here is something interesting. LG has announced the UK and Thailand G3 model number. D855. This happens to be the 2g/16. No news for the 3g/32 or Prime at this time.
What's interesting is the radio.Quite a difference from the Korean variant.

2G (GSM/EDGE), 3G (HSPA+42Mbps/HSPA+21Mbps), LTE (SVLTE, CSFB, CA, VoLTE RCS, MIMO)

They are offering the Circle Case and Wireless Charge as a promotion for $30.
Unfortunately, the retailers don't have the phone yet. lol

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Both versions of HSPA and multiple different LTE protocols (or features or whatever they are called). Does it tell the specific support frequencies?