Official Ice Cream Sandwich/Galaxy Nexus Unveiling Thread

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem, I'm just your friendly neighborhood Modder-Man, here to help when I can.

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I can finally upgrade from my OG Droid!

Wonder if ICS will get ported to the Droid?

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm Jeff and I am a nexusholic. Wow felt good to get that off my chest.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
That'd be crazy! Would hardware acceleration work? I don't know much about it.
It probably would if you did some hacking to make it work. You would probably have to do some optimizations to make it fit on the droid though.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That'd be crazy! Would hardware acceleration work? I don't know much about it.

Whoa, dude.... that was a totally weird moment. It was like you walked into the room with a completely different hair cut and color, sun glasses, and a fake mustache. I didn't recognize you with the new Avatar. I was so thrown for a second there.

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Whoa, dude.... that was a totally weird moment. It was like you walked into the room with a completely different hair cut and color, sun glasses, and a fake mustache. I didn't recognize you with the new Avatar. I was so thrown for a second there.

Haha, I figured it was time to retire Optimus since Prime is most likely not the name of this device. If that changes, he will be back, don't worry.

That, and this whole Nexus business is giving me a personality disorder ;)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

hydro556

Reaction score
Maybe some of you advanced types can help a simple man out. I am looking at all the opinions on the web about the currently leaked specs and am seeing some indicate disappointment with the 1.2 mhz processor and the GPU. One even stated that the GPU is the same one used in the original Nexus phone from like 2007 and that doesnt sound too cutting edge to me.

I am trying to figure out if this is A- True and B- something that I will even notice.

I wasnt too upset about it being a 1.2 processor because I honestly couldnt tell much difference in my HTC Incredibles processor and the one in the Bionic I returned (partially because I wanted this Nexus instead).

Just curious because I am not seeing much in this thread or others here about this being a big deal, and I would think this board would be blowing up if there really was a very dated GPU in what is supposed to be a bleeding edge device.

In the article I was reading, they were basically saying that this Nexus was supposed to be the new IPhone killer (I couldnt care less, just want a good phone to last me til next upgrade)and that even with this bad ass screen, it wouldnt be able to utilize its power because of the GPU mainly, but also because of the processor.

I am likely to get this nexus, or one of the other phones releasing in the next month or so, but am hoping some of you can clear this up for me. Also, there is the possibility that this is still speculation as the "official" specs arent announced, right?

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maybe some of you advanced types can help a simple man out. I am looking at all the opinions on the web about the currently leaked specs and am seeing some indicate disappointment with the 1.2 mhz processor and the GPU. One even stated that the GPU is the same one used in the original Nexus phone from like 2007 and that doesnt sound too cutting edge to me.

I am trying to figure out if this is A- True and B- something that I will even notice.

I wasnt too upset about it being a 1.2 processor because I honestly couldnt tell much difference in my HTC Incredibles processor and the one in the Bionic I returned (partially because I wanted this Nexus instead).

Just curious because I am not seeing much in this thread or others here about this being a big deal, and I would think this board would be blowing up if there really was a very dated GPU in what is supposed to be a bleeding edge device.

In the article I was reading, they were basically saying that this Nexus was supposed to be the new IPhone killer (I couldnt care less, just want a good phone to last me til next upgrade)and that even with this bad ass screen, it wouldnt be able to utilize its power because of the GPU mainly, but also because of the processor.

I am likely to get this nexus, or one of the other phones releasing in the next month or so, but am hoping some of you can clear this up for me. Also, there is the possibility that this is still speculation as the "official" specs arent announced, right?

Join us all tonight for the official announcement. All the speculation should be laid to rest.

My personal opinion and gut feeling is that this device will not disappoint us. This phone will be an absolute beast.

jcardona1

Reaction score

Or you could just wait 4 hours for the official word ;)

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Your last sentence pretty much answers all of your questions. Come back to this thread this evening and all these questions will definitely be answered and you will probably be fairly entertained as well.

But I will comment about the 1.2 Ghz processor... I think you will be hard pressed to see a difference between a 1.0, a 1.2 and a 1.5 Ghz processor under most "typical" conditions and uses. If you are a power user and really load your phone down, you may see a bit of a performance increase at the top end as well as a quicker battery drain, but those are just my guesses.

hydro556

Reaction score
Oh, I am a phone geek, I will definitely be here and watching all over the web. Part of the reason I returned my Bionic was because the screen lacked any WOW factor and that is a big deal to me (The main reason was the horrendous camera)

So, I was hoping that the screen is really bad ass, even better than retina. And I imagine it will be and this GPU talk will be something I wont even be able to notice, but since I saw it mentioned, I figured I'd ask.

The other thing I am excited about is the fact that the Nexus went with a 5mp camera instead of just trying to max out the mp number to trick people into thinking more means better. I am hoping this 5mp camera is an indication they went for a quality sensor as opposed to the quantity factor.

Time will tell

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your last sentence pretty much answers all of your questions. Come back to this thread this evening and all these questions will definitely be answered and you will probably be fairly entertained as well.

But I will comment about the 1.2 Ghz processor... I think you will be hard pressed to see a difference between a 1.0, a 1.2 and a 1.5 Ghz processor under most "typical" conditions and uses. If you are a power user and really load your phone down, you may see a bit of a performance increase at the top end as well as a quicker battery drain, but those are just my guesses.

And to add to this, regardless of what gpu they stick in this phone, you gotta assume it will be optimized to meet/exceed our expectations. I doubt they would skimp on this.