smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
As we get closer to release (I know, a bit away) but we can use this thread to keep track of all of the cool accessories - cases, docks, etc!

Caesars

Reaction score
I just checked the website today (Samsung), it has the wireless charging backs and spare battery docks listed. Perhaps this has been available to some but today was the first time I've seen it at the website. I'm on the waiting list for the dock chargers and white spen.

On a related note, will the wireless charging back for the note 3 work on m QI wireless charger that I purchased for my nexus 4?

Galaxy S4 + iPhone 5

LillieBennett

Reaction score
On a related note, will the wireless charging back for the note 3 work on m QI wireless charger that I purchased for my nexus 4?

Good question and it will work since it's Qi but how well? We know the AC adapter is 5.3V @ 2A my Qi charger is 5V @ 1A. Obviously it won't charge as fast but is the Samsung pad any better? I can't seem to find any specs on the beast!

Lillie via LG Spectrum & tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Odds are that the phone's battery will be current limited by the phone or tablet and that limiting of current is often 1.1A max, sometimes even less. This is done to protect the battery from damage due to charging at too high a rate, which ultimately shortens the life expectancy of the battery. So you may see a slightly faster charge rate on a 2A charger versus a 1A charger, but it may be only nominally faster (i.e. c. 10%).

Theoretically the battery can be charged at rates which exceed their capacity in mAh, i.e 2,500mAh battery can be charged at a rate that's equal to 2.5A - also known as C1 (Capacity times 1), but a battery charged at that rate consistently may only last for dozens of charges rather than hundreds as they're spec'd to last. Conversely if a battery is charged at a slower rate, i.e. 750mAh for a 2,500mAh battery, or C0.3, it will last potentially far more than just a few hundreds, even potentially reaching toward or beyond 1,000 charges.

This is why manufacturers of phones put current limiters in the phones...to charge slower, thereby increasing the battery's life expectancy (number of charges). The goal is for the battery to last the usable life of the phone or other device (1.5-2 years).

LillieBennett

Reaction score
Good info! I wonder about all the contacts (2-5) that a wireless charging cover may connect with? Only 2 are needed for charging as most of the receiver card inserts use but what could be the purpose of the extra contacts?

Lillie via LG Spectrum (waiting for N3 DE) & tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
If the extra contacts are on the cover, it may be to be compatible with various models of phones which may have their contacts in different locations. If the multiple contacts are on the phone itself, some may be for testing purposes, i.e. contact test points, and the two you mention are for charging. It's true that a battery only needs a positive and negative to take a charge, however there can be additional contacts for testing of the battery/charging circuit either during charging (to see how the circuit and battery are performing), and/or after charge (to determine the state of charge or condition of the battery).

LillieBennett

Reaction score
Yeah and the main reason I want to stay with the oem charging cover.

Lillie via LG Spectrum (waiting for N3 DE) & tapatalk

BMWBig6

Reaction score
If the extra contacts are on the cover, it may be to be compatible with various models of phones which may have their contacts in different locations. If the multiple contacts are on the phone itself, some may be for testing purposes, i.e. contact test points, and the two you mention are for charging. It's true that a battery only needs a positive and negative to take a charge, however there can be additional contacts for testing of the battery/charging circuit either during charging (to see how the circuit and battery are performing), and/or after charge (to determine the state of charge or condition of the battery).

So would you not recommending purchasing a Qi-standard battery coil receiver with only 2 contacts for the Note 3? (Especially if it was just going to be left on a charging mat overnight and not monitored until morning?) Seems like smartphones would have other sensors or mechanisms for monitoring the charge amount but maybe that's what the 3rd contact is for.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
So would you not recommending purchasing a Qi-standard battery coil receiver with only 2 contacts for the Note 3? (Especially if it was just going to be left on a charging mat overnight and not monitored until morning?) Seems like smartphones would have other sensors or mechanisms for monitoring the charge amount but maybe that's what the 3rd contact is for.

Perhaps my comment was a bit misleading... the other contacts may be for production line testing or for testing when sent in for repair. I am quite confident that Qi is meeting all safety requirements to sell their product. To be sure, look for various independent laboratory certifications, such as UL (Underwriter's Laboratories), or;
Similar organizations[edit]

• Architectural Testing (ATI) — a competing testing laboratory, certification agency, and inspection agency based in York, Pennsylvania, USA
  • Baseefa — a similar organization in the UK
  • Canadian Standards Association (CSA) — a similar organization in Canada; also serves as a competitive alternative for USA products
  • Efectis — a similar organization in Europe, fire science expert, testing laboratory and certification body
  • ETL SEMKO — a competing testing laboratory, part of Intertek; based in London, UK
  • IAPMO R&T — a competing certification body, based in Ontario, California, USA
  • MET Laboratories, Inc. — a competing testing laboratory based in Baltimore, Maryland, USA
  • NTA Inc — a competing certification agency based in Nappanee, Indiana, USA
  • PEI Testing — a competing certification agency based in Goshen, Indiana, USA
  • Sira — a similar organization for the UK/Europe
  • TÜV — a similar German approvals organisation

That's not to say that if they don't have one of the above it makes them unsafe... Again, any mention of safety or justification of same would (should), be on the packaging and/or on the website. Still, CYOA (cover your own a..), is the default disclosure here...