****Official FroYo Rollout Thread-Version2!****

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
isn't the 45mb the size of the original "patch" update, but the latest one closer to 76mb or so?

I don't honestly know - it seems like people are reporting both file sizes. I do know that supposedly, the 45mb file is sort of like a "service pack" where only files that have changed are included.

The 76mb one supposedly contains a zip of the entire /system folder.

I am uncertain how VZW/Moto are determining which download each individual phone requires. But I suspect it has something to do with whether or not the person is running the official ESE81 2.1 build to start with. I believe the 45mb patch is ONLY ESE81-->FRG01B and the 76mb patch will take ANY version up to FRG01B.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Ok I've seen this asked a few times and dont seem to see anyone answering it..

Has anyone gotten the OTA who DID the manual upgrade and is unrooted?

jlukes

Reaction score

I did the manual upgrade last week and did not get any new notification today. I did download the new 76MB Update.zip and manually installed that this morning. Worked flawlessly.

sajgel

Reaction score
Albany, NY
Got my update this morning, not sure what time since I didnt wake up this 10am
Specs are now:
Android Version: 2.2
Baseband Version: c_01.43.01P
Kernal Version: 2.6.32.9-g103d848
android-build@apa26 #1
Build Number FRG01B

Gallery is slow to update but I can deal with that

armeddroid

Reaction score

I did the manual update with the 79mb file and I am unrooted.
I am waiting to see if I get the new OTA if it even does come to me.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

I can answer this from a technical standpoint, but if folks choose not to believe me; I have no way to back it up because I haven't experienced it first hand.

There is no way anyone who manually updated to FRG01B with the update.zip from Google's servers to get an update notification; because there is nothing to be updated. A build is a build.... FRG01B is FRG01B, period. As long as it's a STOCK (meaning non-rooted, no build.prop edits, things like that) FRG01B system; it's going to be consistent across devices. A build cannot change mid-stream, otherwise it has to be re-built, and the build number will change. Like FRG22, for instance. It likely has very minimal changes from FRG01B, but simply because the project has to be rebuilt from the source to incorporate the changes, the build number must be different.

So if you're on the official, non-rooted FRG01B - no matter HOW you got there, you will not receive the OTA notification for any reason shy of a glitch on the update server.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Albany, NY
Got my update this morning, not sure what time since I didnt wake up this 10am
Specs are now:
Android Version: 2.2
Baseband Version: c_01.43.01P
Kernal Version: 2.6.32.9-g103d848
android-build@apa26 #1
Build Number FRG01B

Gallery is slow to update but I can deal with that

Good to hear from someone local to me (i'm a Schenectadian myself, much as I hate to admit it LOL)

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Thanks Dave, what I thought but wasnt sure. So in other words, people who manually updated ARE up to date.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
ADW installed, but cannot see it in the apps drawer. It's under settings/applications, but I can't find it. Strange.

ADW won't show up in the app drawer, it's a home launcher
Doh! That's right. How do I get it to run?

not sure how this ended up in this thread :)

settings/applications/manage applications

find the stock launcher (launcher2 maybe?), go into it and "clear defaults", then when you hit home again, ADW should pop up as an option

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, what I thought but wasnt sure. So in other words, people who manually updated ARE up to date.

Definitely should be. Although people running FRG22 should be on the lookout. I have read reports from folks who HAVE gotten the notification on FRG22 (with no build.prop market fix edits). So this update must be looking for both older AND newer build numbers and acting accordingly.

In the end, though, everybody should watch out for the notification JUST IN CASE I am wrong. After all, I don't think we know exactly HOW the update server makes its determination of who needs the OTA.

MotoMike

Reaction score
manual and OTA comparison

@ jlukes

Have you noticed any fixes in the OTA over the Manual from last week, namely a fix for Pandora?

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Well, if Schenectady is getting the OTA maybe the rest of NY isn't too far behind.
I am thinking of doing a factory reset when Froyo arrives and doing a fresh install of everything, since I will have to reinstall anything I want to move to SD anyway; going to also back up my SD card contents to PC, and do a little SD housecleaning.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk