OFFICIAL FRG22D OTA patch is here. DOWNLOAD NOW!

xmguy

Reaction score
Yea, unfortunately having root without having a custom recovery means you cannot backup it up, you cannot load other leaks or ROMs, and you cannot prevent an OTA from overwriting your rooted environment. It's sort of risky. Backups, and the ability to restore them, are what makes hacking these phones fun instead of frightening.
And safe. Don't forget the safe!

Twenty minutes to back where you were instead of almost an hour reloading everything and putting everything back right where you had it, and then days of remembering everything you'd forgotten. I'll take that.

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!!! I tried to install a ROM on my Windows Mobile Omnia a few years back. Since it wasn't android and I had no backup persay . I lost all apps and files. I wouldn't own a Android phone that I could not have a Nandroid backup of EVERY step. I have the following Nandroid backups as of now.

2.1 Unrooted.
2.1 Rooted
2.2 Unrooted
2.2 Rooted
2.2 Custom Rom.
2.2 Custom Rom with add on goodies

Plus more backups than I can shake a stick at. I'd have a BRICKED D1 6 ways over if I hadn't had backups. I know.

I tried to get STOCK 2.2 on my phone to test some issues.

When I tried to reinstall SPRecovery I forgot to restore to 2.0.1 first and bricked the phone. Luckily I got SPR installed and restored a Nandroid. The phone wouldn't boot even with a STOCK 2.0.1 and SPRecovery installed. It took a restore to get the phone working again.

Nibbz

Reaction score
I forced it on my moms phone but the build is still FRG01B and flash still isnt in market...

Nibbz

Reaction score
disregard my last post, i feel stupid, i installed the old update by accident lol

usranger80

Reaction score
I forced it on my moms phone but the build is still FRG01B and flash still isnt in market...

Trying the force on my wife's phone right now, taking extra long to boot up but will let you know if everything works.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
usranger it will be a long boot.....

dwoid

Reaction score
I can tell you what I do, it hasn't failed me yet...

I do a Clockwork (Rom Manager) a few times a day depending on how many updates I get.

Once a day I also do a RenWare MyBackup Pro backup in case there's something I want to restore without doing a complete image restore.

Once a day I also do an application backup from Linda Manager, same reason.

Once a day after doing all three of the above, I copy everything on my SDCard out to my PC's hard drive.

Once a week, after doing all four of the above, I copy this SDCard copy out from my PC's hard drive to a spare SDCard that I carry with my phone.

So, at any time, if my internal SDCard is functional, I can restore anything I want from it. If my internal SDCard fails, I can either re-create it from my PC and pick up from there, or I can put the spare SDCard in and restore within a week of where I was.

Yea, I'm a system manager at work. Backups are my business. dancedroid

This may sound like a stupid question. I rooted with Easy Root, then loaded a kernal to overclock and got SetCpu, then got Rom Manager and used it to back up things whenever I get a stable device.

Right now I have three backups (and titanium backup).

Should I be moving these to my computers hard drive just in case? If so how can I do that?

usranger80

Reaction score
usranger it will be a long boot.....

Yeah, I think I read that somewhere before too, took about 2 mins on the droid eye then booted up, showing FRG22D and Flash Player showed up right away in the market, didn't need to clear the cache.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
great news usranger......enjoy : )

Nibbz

Reaction score
got it, didnt take too long to boot, then again my mom doesnt have many apps on her phone at all.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
How do you go about copying all of the contents of your SD card to your hard drive?

I can tell you what I do, it hasn't failed me yet...

I do a Clockwork (Rom Manager) a few times a day depending on how many updates I get.

Once a day I also do a RenWare MyBackup Pro backup in case there's something I want to restore without doing a complete image restore.

Once a day I also do an application backup from Linda Manager, same reason.

Once a day after doing all three of the above, I copy everything on my SDCard out to my PC's hard drive.

Once a week, after doing all four of the above, I copy this SDCard copy out from my PC's hard drive to a spare SDCard that I carry with my phone.

So, at any time, if my internal SDCard is functional, I can restore anything I want from it. If my internal SDCard fails, I can either re-create it from my PC and pick up from there, or I can put the spare SDCard in and restore within a week of where I was.

Yea, I'm a system manager at work. Backups are my business. dancedroid

This may sound like a stupid question. I rooted with Easy Root, then loaded a kernal to overclock and got SetCpu, then got Rom Manager and used it to back up things whenever I get a stable device.

Right now I have three backups (and titanium backup).

Should I be moving these to my computers hard drive just in case? If so how can I do that?

diverken

Reaction score
Installed on my "un rooted" Droid, all went well. Takes forever to boot up after reset, stuck on the EYE for the longest minute.

dwoid

Reaction score
That's good news Wezil, glad the apps are all showing up. Mine are too; like you I suspect Market was updating and a little behind.

Interesting about the kernels being different, I missed that because I loaded my favorite Chevy flavor at the same time as I loaded P3's FRG22D.

I don't think anyone with this FRG22D download release from Google's site has rooted yet. It's going to require stock (stock-recovery) FRG01B in order to install. Then the rooting and custom recovery business would be needed. The quick rooter tools don't work with it yet, and at least at this moment I've not seen any developers talking about a release.

Due to all the steps that will be required to root this puppy, I suspect that P3's FRG22D is going to be the standard stock version for rooters for a while.

So just an update from the thread regarding P3's leak/OTA that I was discussing with Dwoid and other last night. My protected apps are now available in the market not that this OTA is official. Makes me think that it was just the Market that we needed to wait on. Will be interesting to see if I ever get an OTA for this.
The only difference I can see so far is that the my kernal version # is slightly different. I wonder is anyone that has the new OTA and Root can see if the can OC to 800Mhz with the stock kernal.

usranger80

Reaction score
That's good news Wezil, glad the apps are all showing up. Mine are too; like you I suspect Market was updating and a little behind.

Interesting about the kernels being different, I missed that because I loaded my favorite Chevy flavor at the same time as I loaded P3's FRG22D.

I don't think anyone with this FRG22D download release from Google's site has rooted yet. It's going to require stock (stock-recovery) FRG01B in order to install. Then the rooting and custom recovery business would be needed. The quick rooter tools don't work with it yet, and at least at this moment I've not seen any developers talking about a release.

Due to all the steps that will be required to root this puppy, I suspect that P3's FRG22D is going to be the standard stock version for rooters for a while.

So just an update from the thread regarding P3's leak/OTA that I was discussing with Dwoid and other last night. My protected apps are now available in the market not that this OTA is official. Makes me think that it was just the Market that we needed to wait on. Will be interesting to see if I ever get an OTA for this.
The only difference I can see so far is that the my kernal version # is slightly different. I wonder is anyone that has the new OTA and Root can see if the can OC to 800Mhz with the stock kernal.

Did they fix the issue with people getting the OTA notification for 01B when they loaded P3's 22D ROM?