OFFICIAL FRG22D OTA patch is here. DOWNLOAD NOW!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have read through this entire forum, as well as other forums over at DL, MDW, etc... and either I am just a little slow or I can't seem to find a definate answer for these questions, probably the first option.

1. I am rooted, running Pete's FRG22 from awhile back, can/should I install this, or am I DEFINITELY going to lose my root

2. If I do flash this and loose root, has a method been established to restore root and keep the update 22D?

3. When P3 released his leaked version of 22D there was some speculation about it and everyone said they were waiting to install it because something "wasn't right" , is that leaked version going to give me the exact same thing as this OTA release will if I flash it, or are we still debating over that leak?

I am sure these questions have been answered already but if someone can dumb it down in a nutshell that would be great, and I don't need anyone insulting my intelligence in a reply, I have already done that at the beginning of the post. Thanks in advance

1. No, you can't.

2. You won't lose root. SPRecovery blocked me and I tried to install it. SPRecovery gave a #fail message.

3. You'll have to try it and find out. I tried it and there were things missing in the Market. Then I got a fix for that and it changed it from FRG22D to something else. I never saw Flash in the Market.

usranger80

Reaction score
Thank you, if only everyone could answer questions in the way you just did, much obliged.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Any OFFICIAL OTA update will break root. Even if this is not true, assume it to be so. If you are rooted, you will want to wait till either it's proven otherwise or someone releases a rooted version of it. Be patient! :)

And Moto, I wish you'd caught that before I flared up over it... :blush::blush::blush:

But that just goes to prove the possibility is there, which furthers my point... If you're going to root, root now! You don't need the update and it gives you no benefit to have it -- in fact, if there's another update, it may well have a bootloader that we can't crack, making rooting even harder and riskier.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some reading to do to catch up on the current state of affairs... Suffice it to say that if you're rooted you probably don't want this update.

RJP3579

Reaction score
Just downloaded the update and installed on my unrooted Droid 1. All seems to be working including flash from the market.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Just downloaded the update and installed on my unrooted Droid 1. All seems to be working including flash from the market.

congrats...glad all the non-rooters are enjoying the Official release.

Makes me all warm and fuzzy : )

log

Reaction score
Good point -- but it's not the recovery they flash on that you have to worry about -- it's the bootloader. We can replace the recovery at will on the Droid as long as the bootloader cooperates. This update does also install an updated bootloader but I've not had a chance to take a look at it yet to see if it is 2C.7C again or a new one.

I'm going to run it "as is" onto my DEV phone and see what bootloader we get. The recovery doesn't worry me. Will report back shortly.

Woops. My bad. This update does not have an updated bootloader. I was looking at the updater-script out of the FRG01B OTA. This one just updates the boot image and the recovery image, but not the bootloader.

The update will also break your "su" on the phone if you're rooted because it changes the permissions on everything in /system/bin to 0755. The su file needs to be 6755 to work.

I haven't had a chance to go through it extensively, but it doesn't replace the bootloader and everything it does replace can get put back with a nandroid restore, so it's fairly harmless (which is not to say it won't mess anything up).

Thanks so much for your analysis here and also the FRS thread you have described in great detail. I'm also a "stock" FRG01B rooted user, and still have my original recovery image.

I also was poking around in the update file trying to determine first why so many applications were patched, and libraries as well. I'm new to the game so I have only a very high level understanding of whats happening in the updater-script, but I have learned the most reading your posts than I have gotten along on my own so thanks again :) I also noticed some permissions changes to bluetooth related files and this might be the 'security' fix they describe -- the one click root applications use some sort of exploit with hotplug drivers, and maybe this is the fix for that exploit, which could explain why someone reported EasyRoot did not work after the update.

In anycase, I'll stay tuned to your posts. Glad I have not yet applied this patch due to your findings -- but from what you have posted so far, there seems to be no track for getting updated without losing root and might have to bite the bullet eventually and finally flash a custom recovery if I want to stay current with root.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any OFFICIAL OTA update will break root. Even if this is not true, assume it to be so. If you are rooted, you will want to wait till either it's proven otherwise or someone releases a rooted version of it. Be patient! :)

And Moto, I wish you'd caught that before I flared up over it... :blush::blush::blush:

But that just goes to prove the possibility is there, which furthers my point... If you're going to root, root now! You don't need the update and it gives you no benefit to have it -- in fact, if there's another update, it may well have a bootloader that we can't crack, making rooting even harder and riskier.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some reading to do to catch up on the current state of affairs... Suffice it to say that if you're rooted you probably don't want this update.

If you try to load it, it won't work. That's the bottom line, SPRecovery will block it even if you try real hard!. :D

Monday my Droid 2 gets here. I don't care anymore.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your analysis here and also the FRS thread you have described in great detail. I'm also a "stock" FRG01B rooted user, and still have my original recovery image.
You're welcome. I don't think I could tolerate running with stock recovery. :)

I also was poking around in the update file trying to determine first why so many applications were patched, and libraries as well.
You may have already realized this, but in general they don't replace files, they use the applypatch method to take the old file, plus a diff file to mathematically come up with the new file. It makes the package smaller which is good for OTA.

I'm new to the game so I have only a very high level understanding of whats happening in the updater-script, but I have learned the most reading your posts than I have gotten along on my own so thanks again :) I also noticed some permissions changes to bluetooth related files and this might be the 'security' fix they describe -- the one click root applications use some sort of exploit with hotplug drivers, and maybe this is the fix for that exploit, which could explain why someone reported EasyRoot did not work after the update.
I think your observation is very insightful. I don't have a copy of EasyRoot, but I bet you're right. If so, that's pretty clever of them. Easy to get around, but clever.

In anycase, I'll stay tuned to your posts. Glad I have not yet applied this patch due to your findings -- but from what you have posted so far, there seems to be no track for getting updated without losing root and might have to bite the bullet eventually and finally flash a custom recovery if I want to stay current with root.
Eh, go ahead and apply it. It will give you some experience when you have to break back in to fix su. :)

Great first post (yours)!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

If you try to load it, it won't work. That's the bottom line, SPRecovery will block it even if you try real hard!. :D

Monday my Droid 2 gets here. I don't care anymore.
Woot. Whatcha want for the old one? :D

And if you rooted with Easy Root or that other one-touch root app kicking around you might not have SPRecovery or CW to stop the install. So stay away! AWAY I SAY!!!

Though I bet it'd root again really fast with those apps... Unless they need an update first.

dwoid

Reaction score
Yea, unfortunately having root without having a custom recovery means you cannot backup it up, you cannot load other leaks or ROMs, and you cannot prevent an OTA from overwriting your rooted environment. It's sort of risky. Backups, and the ability to restore them, are what makes hacking these phones fun instead of frightening.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Yea, unfortunately having root without having a custom recovery means you cannot backup it up, you cannot load other leaks or ROMs, and you cannot prevent an OTA from overwriting your rooted environment. It's sort of risky. Backups, and the ability to restore them, are what makes hacking these phones fun instead of frightening.
And safe. Don't forget the safe!

Twenty minutes to back where you were instead of almost an hour reloading everything and putting everything back right where you had it, and then days of remembering everything you'd forgotten. I'll take that.

SparkyXI

Reaction score
Yep, I was all stocky, and now I'm stocky and flashy. Nice work as always. Cheers!

dancedroid

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
This may sound like a stupid question. I rooted with Easy Root, then loaded a kernal to overclock and got SetCpu, then got Rom Manager and used it to back up things whenever I get a stable device.

Right now I have three backups (and titanium backup).

Should I be moving these to my computers hard drive just in case? If so how can I do that?

wezil

Reaction score
So just an update from the thread regarding P3's leak/OTA that I was discussing with Dwoid and other last night. My protected apps are now available in the market not that this OTA is official. Makes me think that it was just the Market that we needed to wait on. Will be interesting to see if I ever get an OTA for this.
The only difference I can see so far is that the my kernal version # is slightly different. I wonder is anyone that has the new OTA and Root can see if the can OC to 800Mhz with the stock kernal.