OFFICIAL FRG22D OTA patch is here. DOWNLOAD NOW!

Josefius

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted, but when exactly is the OTA supposed to start distrobution?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
What???

I thought you downloaded it from Google's site just like everyone else...

Did you really get it by radio Over The Air from Verizon's server??? Do you really know anyone who has received this patch Over The Air from Verizon's server?

Since it's available on Google's site I agree it's not a leak. But has anyone received any FRG22D as a real Over The Air patch from Verizon's servers yet?

If so, I'd really like to see some names, dates, times, and see the actual received and signed OTA zip files.

Just to be explicitly clear here, no one on Web has reported receiving this as an actual phone-received Over The Air upgrade from Verizon's server yet.

Btw, if this patch comes over in the form of all the other OTAs, SPR and CWR will both prevent it from being loaded.

This is the way it was for FRG01B as well. Someone over at androidforums.com figured out the google link, and voila... 90% of the people that actually post on this forum got it that way before the OTA hit their phones. Then after a week or so, the OTA was hitting pretty much everybody's phone. If you agree that this is the official release, what's the big deal?

dwoid

Reaction score
In fact though, FRG01B has been sent out from Verizon's servers in at least two different forms during the run of its OTA. I received them both multiple times over a period of two days. Functionally they may have been the same, but they were extremely different in size, contents and installation processes.

The point I'm trying to make is that until the actual FRG22D OTA send from Verizon's servers is offically completed, we won't know exactly what form(s) this OTA will be in. Currently we see it as a patch. We may also see it as a complete send, or in some other form that we haven't imagined yet.

From previous experience, Verizon has proven itself to be free to send its OTA builds out in whatever form they choose. So insisting that this OP's version of FRG22D is the only way that Verizon is going to send it is at least premature, and may prove to be totally wrong altogether.

That doesn't mean this isn't a good FRG22D build. It is available on Google's website, and as such it has some validity. It just means that we don't know if it's the only FRG22D build, or even if it is one of the FRG22D builds that Verizon will send out in the actual OTA send. There is no crystal ball that can read that future.

This is the way it was for FRG01B as well. Someone over at androidforums.com figured out the google link, and voila... 90% of the people that actually post on this forum got it that way before the OTA hit their phones. Then after a week or so, the OTA was hitting pretty much everybody's phone. If you agree that this is the official release, what's the big deal?

lnxtinman

Reaction score
i just d/l and installed the latest 2.2d from this thread on my stock droid...i had 2.2 on it that i installed from the forums 10 days ago.....it installed and updated the latest with np.

mattg1

Reaction score
Just FYI I installed the update from the OP then for grins and giggles flashed the 2.2 SBF both seem to be exactly the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheOldFart

Reaction score
This has probably already been answered, but I really don't feel like reading through 220 posts. If the OTA is also called FRG22D, but it is different in some way than this one, will the system recognize that and still send the new file to my Droid? Does the Verizon system only look at the build number or is there some other code that it looks for?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This has probably already been answered, but I really don't feel like reading through 220 posts. If the OTA is also called FRG22D, but it is different in some way than this one, will the system recognize that and still send the new file to my Droid? Does the Verizon system only look at the build number or is there some other code that it looks for?

Your right, it has been talked about before. All you would have to do is go back a few pages and you would see that on the P3 Droid "official" FRG22D when you reboot your Droid you are prompted to load FRG01B. It's part of trying to understand how P3Droids FRG22 can be the same thing.

Now that they've released the OTA on FRG22 I imagine you can see Flash in the Market with what P3Droid put up. But I'm not going to bother with it, I'll just keep what I got until my new Droid 2 arrives on Monday.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Works great. Just don't name it update.zip. Name it update. This happens every time there is a patch and all the dorks have to tell you to name it update.zip because that's technically correct. You end up naming it update.zip.zip
Or better yet, seriously, in Explorer, go into Tools, Options, and set your options to look like this. I can't imagine running a Windows machine and not being able to see my file extensions. Honestly that default (hiding extensions) is one of the dumber things Microsoft has ever done.

If you don't hide your file extensions then you can follow proper directions without getting tripped up.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Poor battery life since 2.2? Uninstall task killer.

Home screen lag? Move apps back to phone from SD Card seems to help.