~OFFICIAL: FRG01B FroYo Issues/Solutions Thread~

madooch

Reaction score
since froyo update my battery has started dying very quickly never had problem before update called verizon they are sending me new battery said if doesnt work then its the phone they we send me a new one but i dont think its the battery or the phone i think it is the the update!

Goosetowner

Reaction score
Android 2.2 Update

Now that I have the 2.2 update, just what does it do for me? I have two additional screens and some steady icons for the phone and browser, but can I view flash video and will pictures now be embedded and not show up as downloads at the bottom of an email?

harlock

Reaction score
Just finished more testing to resolve this annoying issue. Really, I haven't noticed any other problems with the update - just this frakkin avatar/messaging bug.

Here's what I did today:

I tried adding myself as a contact. Since everyone else's facebook avatar is getting pulled over that way, I figured it might actually work. Adding myself showed me in the CONTACTS section (I wasn't there before), but still no avatar. This was interesting though, when I would go to edit that newly created contact, it would bring up two account - the one I added & another (I'm guessing the ME account - but I can't see this under CONTACTS). So, this did not work.

Then I tried this:

I downloaded another messaging app from the marketplace - CHOMP. It had decent reviews & was capable of showing avatars as well. Upon cranking up CHOMP, once again, everyone else's facebook avatar showed up except for mine.

I tried rebooting again as well, but nothing changed.

This is REALLY beginning to annoy me & I feel as if I'm developing an OCD with this now!

Is anyone else experiencing this avatar/messaging issue since the 2.2 update???

lovethesinner

Reaction score
3G Issues since DLing FroYo.

I'll be cruising mobile sites, then all the sudden the next site wont load, I have no 3G. No internet connection. I turn my phone off then turn it back on and it's fine, but it's done this several times... Is there a way for me to turn 3G on without turning the phone off then back on, and is anyone else having this issue since the update?

Jer

Reaction score
For those running Froyo and having issues w/Google Maps FC

I posted this as a response to another thread but thought I would start a new thread as the topic so others may see it that weren't subscribed to that thread and having issues. Please feel free to post if this helped anyone or not and discuss:

I've been running BB v0.4 since it came out and have never had an issue w/Google Maps... until yesterday. It happened when I was an hour or so away from home and tried to launch Maps to navigate to a location nearby. I noticed that it would launch, tried to draw map where it was last and as soon as GPS enabled and it attempted to place my current location it would force close. I tried several times and it was the same thing each time. Reboots and battery pulls didn't seem to do a single thing to help. When I returned home (closer to where maps had me last) it loaded just fine w/o any other changes.

So, as a possible fix for those having issues... try disabling GPS so that Google Maps uses the cell phone tower triangulation method to get your location close. Then enable GPS and see if that helps. I didn't have an opportunity to test this myself since it appears to be fine now but it's worth a shot if you're having issues.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I posted this as a response to another thread but thought I would start a new thread as the topic so others may see it that weren't subscribed to that thread and having issues. Please feel free to post if this helped anyone or not and discuss:

I've been running BB v0.4 since it came out and have never had an issue w/Google Maps... until yesterday. It happened when I was an hour or so away from home and tried to launch Maps to navigate to a location nearby. I noticed that it would launch, tried to draw map where it was last and as soon as GPS enabled and it attempted to place my current location it would force close. I tried several times and it was the same thing each time. Reboots and battery pulls didn't seem to do a single thing to help. When I returned home (closer to where maps had me last) it loaded just fine w/o any other changes.

So, as a possible fix for those having issues... try disabling GPS so that Google Maps uses the cell phone tower triangulation method to get your location close. Then enable GPS and see if that helps. I didn't have an opportunity to test this myself since it appears to be fine now but it's worth a shot if you're having issues.

Thanks for the information, we are trying to keep the Froyo threads down to a minimum. I've merged your post over here.

Jer

Reaction score

Thanks for the information, we are trying to keep the Froyo threads down to a minimum. I've merged your post over here.

It wasn't a Froyo thread so much as a Force Closing issues with Google Maps thread. That's why I started a new thread because not everyone is subscribed to this thread and there are LOTs of people who will be having this issue looking for a possible fix. In fact there's going to be lots of people who are now having FC with Google Maps that don't even know what 'Froyo' means.

Palantirion

Reaction score
Well, unless you have a task killer installed or are using anitvirus there is definitely an improvement in speed. If you have either one of those, remove them.
-Are you saying that task killers rob speed? I have Advanced Task Killer and it seriously speeds up my phone's speed when I use it to close unwanted background programs. Please clarify your statement...

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, unless you have a task killer installed or are using anitvirus there is definitely an improvement in speed. If you have either one of those, remove them.
-Are you saying that task killers rob speed? I have Advanced Task Killer and it seriously speeds up my phone's speed when I use it to close unwanted background programs. Please clarify your statement...

The best explanation I've read:

Written by Martin030908
Android was designed from the ground up as an operating system (OS) for mobile devices. Its built-in application and memory-management systems were engineered with battery life as one of the most critical concerns.
The Android OS does not work like a desktop operating system. On a desktop OS, like Windows, Mac OS X, or Ubuntu Linux, the user is responsible for closing programs in order to keep a reasonable amount of memory available. On Android, this is not the case. The OS itself automatically removes programs from memory as memory is needed. The OS may also preload applications into memory which it thinks might soon be needed.
Having lots of available empty memory is not a good thing. It takes the same amount of power to hold "nothing" in memory as it does to hold actual data. So, like every other operating system in use today, Android does its best to keep as much important/likely-to-be-used information in memory as possible.
As such, using a task manager/killer to constantly clear memory by killing apps is strongly NOT RECOMMENDED. Generally speaking, you should only "End" applications if you see one which is not working correctly.

Palantirion

Reaction score

Written by Martin030908
Android was designed from the ground up as an operating system (OS) for mobile devices. Its built-in application and memory-management systems were engineered with battery life as one of the most critical concerns.
The Android OS does not work like a desktop operating system. On a desktop OS, like Windows, Mac OS X, or Ubuntu Linux, the user is responsible for closing programs in order to keep a reasonable amount of memory available. On Android, this is not the case. The OS itself automatically removes programs from memory as memory is needed. The OS may also preload applications into memory which it thinks might soon be needed.
Having lots of available empty memory is not a good thing. It takes the same amount of power to hold "nothing" in memory as it does to hold actual data. So, like every other operating system in use today, Android does its best to keep as much important/likely-to-be-used information in memory as possible.
As such, using a task manager/killer to constantly clear memory by killing apps is strongly NOT RECOMMENDED. Generally speaking, you should only "End" applications if you see one which is not working correctly.
-Very cool explanation. Thanks!

So how come my Droid runs much faster (menus, games, etc.) when I use my ATK widget to close programs and "free" appx. 60Mb of memory - if holding empty memory slows down the phone as much as that memory being used by programs? Also, I've noticed less battery drain when I use ATK to clear programs prior to putting the phone into standby.

Are you saying that my Droid would run faster still if ATK wasn't installed? Does it override the Droid's stock management efficiency?

Snoking

Reaction score

Written by Martin030908

So how come my Droid runs much faster (menus, games, etc.) when I use my ATK widget to close programs and "free" appx. 60Mb of memory - if holding empty memory slows down the phone as much as that memory being used by programs? Also, I've noticed less battery drain when I use ATK to clear programs prior to putting the phone into standby.

Are you saying that my Droid would run faster still if ATK wasn't installed? Does it override the Droid's stock management efficiency?

No it just fights with it. 2.2 opens something ATK closes it and around ane around they go, pulling the battery down with them. Chris

Palantirion

Reaction score

Written by Martin030908

No it just fights with it. 2.2 opens something ATK closes it and around ane around they go, pulling the battery down with them. Chris
-Gotcha. I'll uninstall ATK and see how things run. Thanks for the clarification.

brian_g

Reaction score
Well, here's a quick update and another problem! Now it seems that when I get a text (with the sound alert on) it stops the music, then after I swipe to unlock it starts the music again, although it starts the song playing all over again. An improvement, but I can only listen to Ace Of Base's "All That She Wants" so many times in a row lol...But here's another HUGE problem...was talking to my mother on the phone and I got a text while on the phone with her and then her sound dropped out! And it happened again later! So freaking annoying.

metnvols1

Reaction score
Droid 2.2

I would like to know if there is a way to reverse the update to 2.2? I have way too many problems with it and want to go back to the original version.