Official F.A.Q for CyanogenMod

Discussion in 'Cyanogenmod' started by 1up, Apr 16, 2010.

1. 1up

1up New Member

Hello CyanogenMod Users:

I appreciate what Koush and Co have done with CyanogenMod for Droid. The least I/we can do is help by contributing to this F.A.Q to ease their life. We would much rather have them pimp out our Droids than to sit here and reply to simple questions we could of done. Feel free to contribute, and correct me if I'm wrong on any steps. Try not to post in here unless it's a Q&A.

Again, don’t forget to donate to
    Koush for helping us port this over to Droid, Cyanogen for creating the base of this ROM, and any Dev who put their heart into making this happen. Without them, we wouldn't have this awesome ROM.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The Basics
    :
    CyanogenMod Main Homepage
    : CyanogenMod
    CyanogenMod Release Thread: CyanogenMod Forums
    mIRC Support
    : #Koush on Freenode Web IRC
    The REAL Deal:
    Introduction
    : Basic facts about CM/Koush (Courtesy of PDR447)
    Borrowed from CyanogenMod Forum: Official Faq: Read First (Courtesy of PDR447 and contributers over at CyanogenMod Forum)
    CyanogenMod Installation: Installation Guide & Tutorial using ROM Manager and Clockwork Recovery

If you can't find your answer here, search the forum here or over at CyanogenMod Forums for Droid
    F.A.Q:

Rooting & Installing:
    Question: Do I need to be Rooted to install Cyanogen Mod?
    Answer 1
    : Yes. See Big Lou's Guide on how to Root (Dummy Proof): Rooting Guide
    Answer 2
    : This is also a good guide by Matth3w: Matth3w's Guide

Question: How do I know if my Droid is Rooted?
    Answer: You'll see 'Superuser Permission' in your Droid Menu.

Question
    : How do I Root if i'm on the official 2.1 released OTA?
    Answer
    : Thanks to [mbm] from Droidmod: 2.1 SBF Recovery

Question
    : How do I install CyanogenMod now that I've Rooted my Droid?
    Answer
    : See Koush's post: Installation Guide

Question
    : How come I don't have any Google Apps upon boot-up? (Maps, Market, Etc)?
    Answer
    : You forgot to select 'Google Apps' when downloading the ROM. You need to download the Google Apps separately. See below for manual install or the Installation Guide
    Manual Install: Google Addon: EPE54B - Download: gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip

Question: What's this baseband radio update and where can I update it?
    Answer: It updates the firmware (software that controls the CDMA radio). This can lead to increased call quality, fix connectivity issues, and increase battery life. (Thanks zortec)
    The latest Baseband is: C_01.3E.03P. To check your version go-to Settings > About phone> See 'Baseband version'. If you decide to update keep reading on how-to apply the newest Baseband: ROM Manager > Download ROM > CyanogenMod > Radio Update

Overclocking and Kernels:
    Question: What Kernel should I use? Which one is the best?
    Answer
    : (As of 04/16/2010) Bekit and P3Droid are the only official Kernels for CyanogenMod through ROM Manager. Jake has also jumped in and made his kernels compatible with CyanogenMod. You can find his Kernel's directly from his site: NinebySix - Droid Dev. (Jake, throw your kernels onto ROM Manager!) No one can tell you which kernel is best for you, you test and decide what works best for your phone. What works for me, probably won't work for you. If you're worried, keep the default Kernel included with the ROM.

Question: Crap, how come all the Kernels on ROM Manager are disabled/greyed out?
    Answer: ROM Manager > Select Menu > Enable ->'Developer Mode' This will unlock the Kernel download option inside ROM Manager

Question: I downloaded XXXXXX's 1GHz Kernel, but SetCPU is stuck at 550MHz or 600MHz, what's the deal???!!!?!?!?
    Answer: Make sure you select 'Autodetect Speeds Recommended' on SetCPU, accept & remember Root, then adjust your speed and remember to check (enable) 'Set on Boot'

Question: After flashing a new Kernel, i'm now stuck in a boot loop, what's the dealio?
    Answer: Thumb of rule: Prior to flashing a new kernel; backup (see backup), goto SetCPU and set your clock speed to 550MHz and also uncheck (disable) 'Set on Boot'. Ok back to the subject, if you're stuck in a boot-loop after flashing a new kernel then try a different kernel - Lower speed or install different Voltage. If this doesn't work, this is where you'll restore back to your last working setup and seek help.

Upgrading:
    Question : I'm coming from a different ROM other than Cyanogen, do I need to wipe?
    Answer: It IS highly recommended that you wipe prior to installing a Cyanogen type-ROM unless the build is based off of Cyanogen's Base, then no need.

Question : I'm upgrading between builds, should I wipe?
    Answer: 98% of the time, you do NOT need to wipe. Occasionally you may need to wipe, so you should ALWAYS check the Changelog prior to installing to see if it's mentioned. Don't forget to check Google Apps when updating through ROM Manager either! See CyanogenMod Changelog

Tethering:
    Question : Where's my Wireless Tether?
    Answer: If supported by the Kernel of your choice, you can download the latest version here (Thanks Dev's):
    Android Wireless Tether Hub - Goto Menu > Setting > Wireless & networks > Enable or Disable 'Wi-Fi'

Question
    : I can't seem to find where this so-called Wired Tether is?
    Answer: Goto Menu > Setting > Wireless & networks > Enable or Disable 'Internet tethering' -- You must have the Motorola USB Drivers installed (Download here)

UI/Themes:
    Question : Where can I find themes for CyanogenMod?
    Answer: Most CyanogenMod Themers release their work through ROM Manager, alternatively you can go to CyanogenMod Theme Forum to see screenshots or see others not listed in ROM Manager

Question
    : Is it recommended to switch from theme to theme?
    Answer: NO, you should always keep a backup of your stock phone prior to applying themes. This way you can switch around. Some Theme Dev's theme differently than others, and if one Dev doesn't theme one portion correctly and you apply one over....it will look funky. So keep a backup before you play with this.

Question: Why did the Wallpaper from my previous ROM carry over?
    Answer : If you used Apps2SD on your previous ROM, it will carry most if not everything over that is still on your SD Card(SD-Ext).

Question: (As of 04/17/2010) Helix Launcher2 downloaded from the market keeps Force Closing, is it compatible?
    Answer: Yes, Helix2 is compatible with CyanogenMod 5.0.6 - You will need to download the Beta version (0.7BETA2) directly from the Dev's site. HelixLaunchers Repo

Apps2SD & JIT:
    Question : Do I have to use Apps2SD to use Cyanogen?
    Answer: NO, this is entirely up to you. If you do use it, however, you must enable it. From your Droid: Menu > Settings > Applications > Enable or Disable 'Apps2SD'

Question: How do I use Apps2SD, and do I need to back-up everything on my SD Card before I partition my SD Card and utilize Apps2SD?
    Answer: If you care; prior to partitioning your SD Card (if you want) you should back up Music/Ringtones/Pictures/Videos and anything you want to keep before you do this. Read more here: Official Apps2SD Thread @ CyanogenMod Forum, Official Apps2SD Thread @ Droidsforum and How to partition

Question
    : I already have Apps installed prior to enabling Apps2SD, how do I move them to my SD Card?
    Answer: Goto Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications > Open your Application and click Move. Your 'Install Location' should say SD Card

Question : How stable is JIT?
    Answer: This is really a hit-or-miss type of deal. Somedays it works amazing, somedays it just sucks. I say use at your own risk. I personally wouldn't touch it with a 45 foot pole.

Backup & Restoring:
    Just a FYI, normally I do a nightly Backup of my Current ROM in-case something happens. Koush mentioned he is working on a automatic-backup of current ROM that will run daily/nightly. Sweeeet! (04/18/2010 - wow koush is fast! automatic backup is now part of the new Clockwork/Rom Manager)

Question: I've used Titanium Backup / MyBackup and now some of my Apps are FC'ing like no tomorrow! What to do?
    Answer: Try this: Goto ROM Manager > Fix Permissions - if this doesn't fix it. You may need to re-install the App. If that doesn't work, your App may not be compatible with Cyanogen (unlikely) But in the case it's true - the App might be at-fault. Seek others opinion and post a report to see if anyone can reproduce your error. We'll go from there. Remember it is not recommended to restore Apps if your coming from a ROM other than CyanogenMod. You may just need to bite the bullet and wipe clean and reinstall manually.

Tweaks:
    I'll remove these if it ever becomes part of the ROM (Use at your own risk)

YouTube HQ Hack: You'll need to download a hacked 'Youtube.apk' and replace the one currently in your /system/app (Credit Xeudoxus)
    Workaround 1: Using Root Explorer - Download YouTube.apk (1.5.20) here (Credit reddv1)
    Workaround 2: Using ADB Push - Download YouTube.apk (1.5.20) here (Credit bill1253)
    Workaround 3: Using Recovery - See Post #15ish (Credit DA6)

Removing Unnecessary (Barebones) Apps - How to safely remove apps you do-not want on your phone
    Workaround: Using ADB -
    See -> Barebones Guide

I'll try my best to keep this up-to-date with new changes and issues whenever I’m available. Don't count on me though :icon_ banana:
    -----------------------------------------------------
    This is compiled from the community for the community. Credits to all who helped contribute or who I kang'd the info from. Feel free to add, edit, and adjust.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  2. dmacleo

dmacleo Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

I would add something about being overclocked when flashing, mention that is using setcpu its good idea to set it to stock speeds before doing anything.
  3. tdallmann

tdallmann New Member

Hello! First post on this forum (though I've been having a blast with my Droid over the past month!). A F.A.Q. is a GREAT idea, but I have to wonder (as a computer architect in the "real" world) whether a WIKI would be a better format for this. I've often thought that a central place is needed for all the "facts", removed from the conversations of the forums, where the community itself can keep the content fresh.

Thanks for getting this started - I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes...
  4. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

How do we get a customized framework-res working?
    MetaMorph wont do it, but will MM work for other APKs in the system/app?
  5. PDR447

PDR447 New Member

nice work! better than I've done at the CM forums... lol. I guess I just prefer doing the real-time support in IRC even though I've probably answered the same questions MULTIPLE times. real-time interaction is just easier/more satisfying I guess.

*I may borrow a few things for the CM forum...
  6. Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0 New Member

im still having a problem with installing new kernal. it isnt boot looping or anything but i followed all instructions and it still wont install properly. i keep installing 1.2ghz kernal...goes through recovery installation and everything....but when i reboot it is still a 1ghz kernal. :mad:
  7. PDR447

PDR447 New Member

Is this a P3Droid kernel? I've seen others report that his labels on rom manager are incorrect. he needs to fix that. try bekit's and report back.
  8. loop4zil

loop4zil New Member

I am in developer mode...I have the premo version. I cannot see the kernels for overclocking. Are they some where else other than "Download Rom"
  9. PDR447

PDR447 New Member

kernels are "inside" the cyanogen section. you'll see p3droid and bekit.
  10. loop4zil

loop4zil New Member

Thanks dude...so obvious that I could not see it
  11. Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0 New Member

it was indeed a P3Droid kernal...changed it bekits and we are good! thanks man
  12. phreek

phreek New Member

I'm not seeing this option :/
  13. atticus

atticus New Member

this is greatly outdated. I don't know what you're trying to do, but try check marking the box "advanced mode".
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  14. phreek

phreek New Member

I did enable advanced mode. I'm trying to access the other kernels for CM in Rom Manager.
  15. Unknown2U

Unknown2U New Member

Cyanogen on DroidX?

Sorry if this is a noob question, but does Cyanogen work on the Droid X? I see this says Droid. Just want to make sure.
  16. Jonpwn

Jonpwn New Member

Hi, ever since installing cyanogen on my droid 1, I am experiencing extremely annoying signal loss problems. In my house, I have very poor signal. My phone will enter 1x with 2 bars. When I leave my house and try to make a phone call, the call timer won't even start counting and my phone could no longer be used as a phone. i have to reboot it, and it will be back to normal 3g and I can make calls.

Furbearingmammal suggested that I reflash the rom. After I did, it seemed okay for a few days and i did not experience the aforementioned signal loss. However inthe past few days, it started happening again and I am wondering what I can do to fix this horrible issue.

I am running cyanogen 6.1.2

thanks in advance!
  17. pdroid

pdroid New Member

There are no releases for the Droid X at this time.
  18. pdroid

pdroid New Member

did you try *22899

other than that, don't know what to tell you
  19. Jonpwn

Jonpwn New Member

I tried the other one, i think *228? it was three digits.
    But both were activations of the phone. I just did the 22899 one and we'll see what happens.
    thanks for the tip
  20. hpNYR

hpNYR New Member

anyone know why there are no twitter/yutube widgets?
Search tags for this page
baseband cyanogenmod
cyanogen faq
cyanogenmod baseband

cyanogenmod faq

cyanogenmod faqs
cyanogenmod for dummies

cyanogenmod radio update

cyanogenmod restore apps
cyanogenmod update radio
google apps apk cyanogen
how to update radio cyanogenmod