Official E-mail for Droid X Otterboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow, I honestly don't see what the hype is all about on those cases. Talk about a rip off... Who in there right mind would pay 50 bucks for a case? You kidding me??

My silcone case cost me 10 bucks and I've dropped it twice and let me tell you how great this thing works... Not a scratch on it. Save your money and buy something more usefull for your hard earned dollars people.

I would simply because it's Otterbox and I've owned 3 different cases for 3 different phones in the past. They are great cases.

My suggestion to you would be, don't buy one, lol. Apparently your silicone case has all your needs.

cpjr

Reaction score
Depends on how much you want to protect your phone.

Silicone cases dont do much more than keep the device from getting scratched. If you drop the device, it doesnt provide basically any extra protection than dropping the device with nothing on it.

So, it all bowls down to how you want to protect your investment, or wanna spend. Go cheap and get cheap results.

Big Fate

Reaction score
Depends on how much you want to protect your phone.

Silicone cases dont do much more than keep the device from getting scratched. If you drop the device, it doesnt provide basically any extra protection than dropping the device with nothing on it.

So, it all bowls down to how you want to protect your investment, or wanna spend. Go cheap and get cheap results.

Its all a marketing scheme... Another way to squeeze you for every penny you got. If you read my post I stated i've dropped it several times and not a scratch, mark or crack on my phone using the silicone cover. Now to prove your theory wrong about it not providing any extra protection than dropping naked, my co-worker dropped there phone with 'nothing' on and the front screen cracked.

As far as protecting your investment, thats what they make insurance for :)

cpjr

Reaction score
Comparing accidental drops is comparing apples to oranges.

But please, by all means tell me how a very thin piece of flexible silicone is going to protect your phone against something like concrete. And how silicone is even remotely as strong or stronger than a hard polycarbonate plastic.

I believe you that your phone has been dropped and is ok....hell, I dont even have a case at all and mine has been dropped and is perfectly fine, no scratches at all.

But like I said again....you get what you pay for.

As far as insurance, I personally think that is a rip-off, monthly cost + deductable is horrible and I'd much rather spend a few of those bucks for a better case. **knocks on wood** Ive never needed insurance in 10 years for a cell phone anyways.

PS- There is an outragious markup on any type of accessory for a cell phone or any other piece of electronics for that matter, you may have paid $10 for your case which probably cost $0.25 to produce, same as a $50 otterbox case that may have cost $3 to produce.

I have a friend that is the store manager for a Best Buy, he gets stuff for me at store cost.

I recently hung a plasma tv up in one of our rooms, the wall mount + 2 HDMI cables at best buy totalled $325, my buddy bought them at store cost, I paid $40 out the door....yeah, a $285 difference :icon_eek:

Last edited:

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Very well said cpjr.

I've heard stories of people dropping theirs with basic cases and their screen shattering. Along with the camera lense.

Now I'm not saying Otterbox is the save all of cases, to each his/her own. But this will be the 4th I've own on different model phones because I like them.

And everything is a marketing scheme. Its how people make money.

c]=[k(V)8's Droid X Tapatalk

OP
DJSketch

DJSketch

Reaction score
I have never owned a Otterbox case I don't see thenlm worth using on all phones. But for my X its really the only phone I have owned that I see is worth getting that extra protection

Sent from my DROIDX

Big Fate

Reaction score

But please, by all means tell me how a very thin piece of flexible silicone is going to protect your phone against something like concrete. And how silicone is even remotely as strong or stronger than a hard polycarbonate plastic.

I believe you that your phone has been dropped and is ok....hell, I dont even have a case at all and mine has been dropped and is perfectly fine, no scratches at all.

As far as insurance, I personally think that is a rip-off, monthly cost + deductable is horrible and I'd much rather spend a few of those bucks for a better case. **knocks on wood** Ive never needed insurance in 10 years for a cell phone anyways.

PS- There is an outragious markup on any type of accessory for a cell phone or any other piece of electronics for that matter, you may have paid $10 for your case which probably cost $0.25 to produce, same as a $50 otterbox case that may have cost $3 to produce.

I have a friend that is the store manager for a Best Buy, he gets stuff for me at store cost.

I recently hung a plasma tv up in one of our rooms, the wall mount + 2 HDMI cables at best buy totalled $325, my buddy bought them at store cost, I paid $40 out the door....yeah, a $285 difference :icon_eek:

The silicone may not be as sturdy as the carbonate plastic but what I'm saying is that’s not really necessary. The silicone protects it just fine. For someone who doesn’t have insurance on their phone you sure seem worried buying a heavy duty case.

And who pays a deductable? I don’t have any deductable on my insurance.

Yes alot of things are marketing schemes, but this one blows them out the water.

OP
DJSketch

DJSketch

Reaction score
Same here I don't have a deductible on my insurance either

Sent from my DROIDX

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

A thin piece of silicone can absorb the energy of a drop. Hard plastic just transfers the energy. The beauty of the defender case is a shock absorbing inner and a scratch resistant hard outer
While I don't suggest others try it, I used my Omnia camera more than once under water so to me the water protection is more important than drop protection
Support our troops!
slidered from a wifi monolith

kendubya

Reaction score
no integrated screen protector, no films covering the camera, speakers or mics, what's worth $50.00, or the wait?...bought a Rugged as a stop gap measure...waiting for Trident's Kraken...

It does have the integrated screen protector, according to the Q&A on the item.

Yeah, the defender covers the screen and camera....the case covers all the buttons. Did you not even look on their site?

Yeah, my bad about the screen protector comment. I guess I just got SO F^%K#&! IMPATIENT WAITING, I started looking for excuses not to give my MONEY to those THIEVES! I was blinded by rage, boys and girls...blinded by rage.

though the q&a did mention the camera and mics are left uncovered. any idea about the speakers?

EDIT: speakers are uncovered

from otterbox q&a:
Will the Droid X Defender case have filter material over the microphone holes and clear plastic over the camera like my Palm Centro Defender case?
2 weeks, 5 days ago
WalterG on DROID X by Motorola Defender Series Case
00Report inappropriate content
Answers
We have decided to remove these components from our current designs.
2 weeks, 5 days ago

snark

Last edited:

hoppyjr

Reaction score
Ordered mine.....a Commuter model for me, Defender for Dad....we'll see, but I'm guessing the will be nice.

FYI - I use OEM extended batteries with the standard battery doors, so the Defender will fit this way. I've had three DX phones and all work fine this way, no screen issues at all.

cpjr

Reaction score

The silicone may not be as sturdy as the carbonate plastic but what I'm saying is that’s not really necessary. The silicone protects it just fine. For someone who doesn’t have insurance on their phone you sure seem worried buying a heavy duty case.

And who pays a deductable? I don’t have any deductable on my insurance.

Yes alot of things are marketing schemes, but this one blows them out the water.

I do agree with you its not really necessary..........most of the time.

Only reason I bought that case is because I run 2 companies, we do fire/water damage restoration and I get into alot of situations where my phone could easily get a little wet or whatnot.

Now, first off my company is paying for it :) so I dont care about the price, and secondly.....as I had stated earlier....I dont currently use a case/cover because I really like going "naked".

So yeah, anyways....your right it is overkill 90% of the time....but I have used their cases in the past with my job and they have come in handy. I have dropped a phone into a puddle of water before and snatching it back out quickly the case kept it completely dry.

**knocks on wood** I am also VERY careful with my phones and have never damaged one to date **knocks on wood again**

See we can get along Big Fart.....oops, I mean Fate. - Just kidding bro ;)

Puchkey

Reaction score
one of the luckey ones.......

I won one of these cases in their giveaway today! I chose the commuter as I want to continue to store my Droid X in my front pocket! Hope I made the right choice. I have never had the otterbox products before, was consider checking them out, and then won one for free. So I can't go wrong! woo hoo!

OP
DJSketch

DJSketch

Reaction score
You lucky dog. Let us know how it is an if its worth having.

Sent from my DROIDX

Reaction score
anyone who ordered a case today...has yours been shipped? mine is still stuck on "being processed"

Status
Not open for further replies.