Official DroidForums.net Top Android Smartphones for 2013; Name Your Favorite [POLL]

Name your favorite Android smartphone of 2013

• Motorola Droid (Ultra) MAXX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Google's LG Nexus 5

• HTC One

• Samsung Galaxy Note 3

• HTC One Max

• LG G2

• Samsung Galaxy S4

• Sony Xperia Z1

• Moto X

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droidforums-top-2013-android-smartphones.png

The end of the year is fast approaching, and as we move forward, we like to cap off the previous year with a "best of" round-up. This year we are doing it a bit different. Rather than inundate you with Editor's opinions, this year we simply want to hear from you which device was your favorite. To that end, the following is our Top Android Smartphones Master List of 2013.

It doesn't include every phone that launched this year, but covers the primary flagship devices in various categories. Some of these devices have been around for most of the year, while a few didn't hit the retail store shelves until the last part of the year. After the list we will have a poll which will determine what you guys think was the top Android smartphones of the year. Please vote in the poll and sound off in the thread with the reasoning behind your choice. Also, if the phone you liked the most for the year wasn't on this list, please vote other and let us know why you liked it the most in the thread.

Here's the list we compiled in no particular order:

• Motorola Droid MAXX - We chose this one for the list over the Droid Ultra simply because it is the same thing as the Droid Ultra only it includes a superior battery. It's hard not to be enamored by the fantastic battery life and incredible power of this device.

• Google's LG-Made Nexus 5 - The next Nexus device from Google didn't disappoint, other than the fact that it didn't come to Verizon. It has some of the most powerful specs available, including the Snapdragon 800, Adreno 330, and a gorgeous 5-inch display. It also included the first version of Android 4.4 KitKat. What's not to love?

• HTC One - This one came out at the beginning of the year in an attempt to trump the Samsung Galaxy S4. In most respects it did exactly that. With premium build quality, gorgeous aesthetics and impressive front facing speakers, many users fell in love with this device.

• Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - This one may be a phablet, but that certainly didn't detract from its popularity. With a beautiful huge display, functional S Pen and several other enhanced features, the GNote3 is the pinnacle of the Note series. Good luck prying this amazing device away from them.

• HTC One Max - Speaking of phablets. The HTC One Max was introduced at the end of the year as HTC's answer to Samsung's GNote series. It offers up similar quality to the HTC One, and even includes a fingerprint sensor. It wasn't a huge hit in the retail channel, but we suspect fans of this device will defend it vehemently.

• LG G2 - LG's Nexus 5 wasn't the only premium device they launched this year. In fact, they had three. One was the Optimus G Pro, but later on in the year, they trumped themselves with this gem of a device. The G2 was the most advanced smartphone on the planet during the time of its launch. It still offers a tremendous value even now.

• Samsung Galaxy S4 - There's not much to say about Samsung's newest iconic Galaxy device that hasn't already been said. With advanced software features and the massive cache that comes with the Samsung brand, it was the top selling Android smartphone of the year.

• Sony Xperia Z1 - This one didn't see a great deal of popularity outside of Europe and Asia, but don't let that diminish its standing in your eye. With impeccable design and very advanced features including water and shock resistance, it definitely belongs on this list.

• Moto X - Despite this one not quite getting the traction that many of us were hoping for, the Moto X turned out to be the darling of the tech-blog industry. In wasn't as flashy as the others, yet it includes some truly innovative features and pushes the tech envelope further.
That's our list of the top Android smartphones of 2013. We didn't put them in any order because we want to find out that from you guys. Please vote in the included poll so we can name the top dogs of the Android smartphone world. Again, if you didn't see the one you like on the list, be sure to add it to the thread.

veraderock

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Although I don't have one, the HTC One tops the list for me, if only due to my constant frustration with rear facing speakers!

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, I think the One is a top choice for this years Top Phone.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I voted on the X. I love the features that are actually useful, not ridiculous. Did someone just say "waving your hand over the screen to scroll" Yeah I agree

HTC One is my favorite build quality while the Droid MAXX would be my second choice for best smartphone

rctp10

Reaction score
I completely disagree there is no way that the HTC One is the best smartphone for 2013. I don't think you could name a top smartphone any more without having categories. Top phone spec wise is without a doubt the Note 3 long battery life most powerful specs including a 3 gig ram, also it is loaded with twice the features of any smartphone out. Ok now most practical phone for the year is hands down the moto x, no one can argue that. It is the right price and does exactly what it needs to do with no hiccups. But spec wise it doesn't compare to half the phones on the list, **** not even 75% of them. For the Nexus lovers I hate to say this but I don't think the nexus 5 deserves to be in the top 3. the only thing it had going for it was KITKAT.

My top 3 would have to be:
1. Moto x: Because it does what it needs to and has no hiccups. (first android phone to ever run the os properly)
2. Note 3: I think that this phone is by far the best phone out this year but i like big phones. The size of the note 3 will really hurt it in any top phone of the year award. Even though this is the best phone out right now.
3. Galaxy S4: Best selling phone of the year need I say more.

They are all great phones don't get me wrong.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I agree, I think the One is a top choice for this years Top Phone.

Well, I haven't played with a ONE, and so I can't speak for it. Frankly most members will be working from a limited knowledge of most of the phones on the list and will either choose based on market sentiment or their own experience with one or a few different models. I am a perfect example... I had the S4, battery was a big problem, and so I "upgraded" to the MAXX using the FLEX plan. Besides that S4, as for phones in 2013 I only have the personal experience with the MAXX. I know a LOT of attention is being gained by the X, but the rest would be a pure specs/market sentiment play. So, you guessed it...I voted for the MAXX.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well, I haven't played with a ONE

If you haven't yet, you definitely should!

Frankly most members will be working from a limited knowledge of most of the phones on the list and will either choose based on market sentiment or their own experience with one or a few different models.

Truedat. I voted for the One, as it blows me away, e.g., yeah I'm a light user, but most days I get home with > 80% battery. GPS locks BEFORE I start Maps (LOL). Never ONCE seen a slow display refresh. The feel in the hand. And the screen....oh, that screen. I could go on and on. But since there's also an X in our household, I would have given it second place. rctp10 nailed it, the X "does what it needs to and it has no hiccups." And now that the X has been upgraded to 4.4, I'm pretty jealous of the new hands-free talk-to-it-across-the-room feature. Very, very cool.

-Matt

rctp10

Reaction score
Truedat. I voted for the One, as it blows me away, e.g., yeah I'm a light user, but most days I get home with > 80% battery. GPS locks BEFORE I start Maps (LOL). Never ONCE seen a slow display refresh. The feel in the hand. And the screen....oh, that screen. I could go on and on. But since there's also an X in our household, I would have given it second place. rctp10 nailed it, the X "does what it needs to and it has no hiccups." And now that the X has been upgraded to 4.4, I'm pretty jealous of the new hands-free talk-to-it-across-the-room feature. Very, very cool.

-Matt

I really wish I could of gotten over the fact that the one had HTC's Sense on it. I just can't come to use it. Although I do agree with you that the chassis is amazing and i am glad that HTC built this phone to give other manufactures a standard to strive for. This is such a toss up for a poll just because the fact that all these devices were/are great at what they were intended for.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
My vote goes to the G2, which is definitely going to be the underdog in this race. At first I almost went with a Samsung phone, as they're the only ones anymore that seem to use SD cards, and we're still a ways off from being a totally cloud based tech society. But aside from the SD card slot and the removable battery, Samsung doesn't have anything really useful going for it except the billions they sank into advertising to convert the Apple fan boys.

I tend to go out and play with the new hand sets at our Verizon store when they're available, and I put everything off this year as I waited for the G2 to come out. And playing with one in the store was totally worth the wait. Knock On/Off is my favorite feature hands down, never having to touch the actual hardware buttons.

And I know people think it's weird that the buttons are on the back, but that frees up a ton of room on the side, allowing them to make the bezel on the phone crazy small.

Q-Slide apps are a great idea, but needed to be implemented differently. Even so, LG gets my vote because it's a step in the right direction as far as utility goes, and hopefully next time around they'll figure how to make it less intrusive and more pretty.

Another really cool feature I like is the ability to focus on particular sounds during video recording. I don't use it often, but it's great for capturing the Audio I care about in noisy environments when I do need to use it.

And the final thing that really turned me on to the G2 was the Q-Remote app specifically. I didn't get to try the S4's IR app, but I did use the One's. And LG has a way better software implementation. Unfortunately, they also built the weakest IR blaster, which makes the entire system not very practical unless you sit close to your devices.

But overall I'm stupid happy with my phone. And I think it's more than capable of seeing me through for another two years when I get my next carrier upgrade.

Sent from CAMACHO, my Verizon G2 (VS980) running PAC ROM 4.3.

benb1974

Reaction score
I vote G2. Every device I pick up, I try to knock on from habit. It's crazy how fast you adapt to that.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Droid maxx dominates the field in two most important categories, therefore I chose it as a winner.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Note 3 FTW !! HAHA ...y'all have some great phones on this list....Not one has a step up on my beloved N3... good try to all the second place winners!!! LMAO !!

Now if you take away the N3 out of this competition (which you should bc it's not fair..haha)

G2 would be my choice....

HTC One MaXX ..it's not even an upgrade to original...= fail

Sony = I wish I could test drive...not enough info

Moto ...great job ..great radios....Maxx over X IMO why get the smaller one...

N5 = I'd like to test drive....G2 looks better to me spec and battery wise...2nd place !!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Droid maxx..lg g2 and note 3

MAXXED OUT!!!!!