OFFICIAL: Droid 2 Pre-Release thread

soba1

Reaction score
CK
Thanks for starting this thread.
Moto Droid2 with a 4.3" screen
I'm all over it. Also if u don't know
it. A rooted Moto Droid aint no Joke.....:)

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting I just read an article on gizmodo that they think the shadow is the "droid 2".

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

Darkseider

Reaction score
Interesting I just read an article on gizmodo that they think the shadow is the "droid 2".

They also thought that they wouldn't be criminally prosecuted either. :icon_eek:

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I wish I didn't even know about these leaks! I got the Droid on it's release day and am already lusting over the second version of it. The only good thing about knowing all this information is that I am no longer jealous of the Incredible! Give me a physical keyboard or give me death!

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

Shadow no keyboard

Droid 2 keyboard

Gizmodo or Endgadget, forgot which one, was calling the Shadow the possible Nexus 2 lol.

For the gamers here's some games running on the OMAP

Mobile Graphics - Game Demos

Chumley

Reaction score
So if the shadow is to be released in June shouldn't we start seeing reviews pretty soon? Didn't the incredible end in the hands of reviewers like cnet and gizmodo several weeks before it was released? Also how far in advance do they announce the release of a new phone? I guess I'm just antsy as this will be my first smartphone. I have my NE2 ready to go and I was all set to get the incredible but then heard about this and the battery problems. All that techy stuff you guys are talking about is way over my head but from what I can tell the shadow should be faster and better with battery life than the inc and hopefully have as good if not better signal and call quality.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Depends on when in June the release is. If it is late June then expect something within the next 2 weeks. Otherwise it probably won't be out in June. As for the Incredible and battery problems I don't know what to tell you. My Bro-in-Law, cousin and friend all got one and none of them are *****ing about battery. Particularly my brother in law. He uses the hell out of it and he is happy as a clam.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
After reading up on those specs on the 3630 OMAP this leaped out at me:

45-nm CMOS process (an industry first)
Now if that relates the same way it does for PC chips and the Xbox 360....oh my....I got a 360 with the Jasper board in it for that reason alone (me and the ENTIRE Xbox 360 community LOL!!).....and the Jasper's had 65nm technology.....oh my.....

(for those that dont know about this, when the nm number got lower in the Xbox 360, the less power it used. This also helped it generate less heat. This was supposedly a fix to the Red Ring of Death issues ppl had. That still remains to be seen, but u can just put your hand behind and on a 360 with the lower nm tech inside and feel the difference from one with a higher nm tech inside) I actually had a launch unit just die on me 2 years ago. I survived the RRoD curse. I still got a 360 with the Jasper anyway tho....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_hardware

Now that I read the specs in deep detail....its really interesting looking at whats out now....

I think I'm definitely gonna pay retail for these next wave of phones.....yes most definitely. I might get BOTH the Shadow and Droid 2....its that serious ppl.....

Darkseider

Reaction score
After reading up on those specs on the 3630 OMAP this leaped out at me:

45-nm CMOS process (an industry first)
Now if that relates the same way it does for PC chips and the Xbox 360....oh my....I got a 360 with the Jasper board in it for that reason alone (me and the ENTIRE Xbox 360 community LOL!!).....and the Jasper's had 65nm technology.....oh my.....

(for those that dont know about this, when the nm number got lower in the Xbox 360, the less power it used. This also helped it generate less heat. This was supposedly a fix to the Red Ring of Death issues ppl had. That still remains to be seen, but u can just put your hand behind and on a 360 with the lower nm tech inside and feel the difference from one with a higher nm tech inside)

Now that I read the specs in deep detail....its really interesting looking at whats out now....

I think I'm definitely gonna pay retail for these next wave of phones.....yes most definitely. I might get BOTH the Shadow and Droid 2....its that serious ppl.....

If you think the 3630 is impressive then I suggest you check out the 44XX series here OMAP™ 4 Platform - OMAP4430/OMAP4440 We won't be seeing those in phones until the middle of next year but it will be WELL worth the wait. This is why I will be holding on to my Droid.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm officially gonna be sick now.........

I'm going back to regular cellphones...wheres my E815 at???

But seriously, even looking at that, it aint too much of a difference. Thats why I said its real interesting looking at whats out now: the phones out really have similar technology to each other.

But these 2 new OMAP's.....is something to seriously drool over. My Droid got outdated b4 I had a chance to break it in.....

EDIT: Actually I take that back. I think I might just wait til my contract is up. That OMAP 4 tech is sick......dual core....heh heh heh.....faster UI's and even less power use.....

YALL KILLING ME!!!!! I KEEP EDITING MY POSTS!!! STOP IT!!

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
jroc you will be blown away : )

These new Moto devices will wield some ungodly power and speed : )

Darkseider

Reaction score
As an FYI. Seeing a dual core Cortex A-9 in action is a thing of beauty. A quick example would be this. A dual core A-9 clocked at 800 Mhz is approx. 3X to 3.5X the performance of a 1 Ghz Snapdragon with equal or less power usage than the Snapdragon. There is also a single core Cortex A-9 as well and clocked at 1 Ghz is approx. 2x the performance of an equal clocked Cortex A-8 SoC with lower power consumption.

EDIT: There are also going to be Smartbooks based on the Cortex A-9 which will more than likely be of quadcore design. Whether or not they make it from ODM to OEM is to be seen but they are in the works.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wait you mean this Junes right? not next year? lol
Yes this June my bad : )

And I have a hard time believing that VZW would release a phone in a month that would be better than the Incredible. It just seems like it's far too soon. October/November yeah I can see it, but June?

And of course if these new phones don't release on VZW, then I really don't care about them...
Yes they will both be released on VZW and yes it will be better than the Incredible (from what bill23 has been saying "Fact" not "gossip")

Welcome to the world of tech : )

Keep in mind our current devices are still great and will remain relevant for a while but this is the trend. A better, faster, more feature rich device is ALWAYS right around the corner. You'll never stay in front of it. Unless of course you pay for it. Which can get quite expensive.

Times are changing. People are becoming more and more dependent on smartphones than ever before. This is a HUGE market. Smartphones have evolved into mini-portable computers.

That part right there is where Smartphones are going and FAST. By Q2/Q3 of 2011 we will be seeing dual core Cortex A-9 based units using new Lithium Sulfide batteries which have 3x to 4x the mAH capacity in the same space as current Lithium Polymer batteries. This is a VERY exciting time in the mobile space!

Also, there is currently work being done that will blow your minds. Imagine a current smartphone with a docking port similar to that of a laptop only smaller. Now imagine a dock with it's own A/C, video out, USB, bluetooth, additional processors AND memory as well as fixed media (SSD). Plug phone into dock and the phones OS immediately recognizes and scales up and recognizes the new processors, memory, storage and devices. Switches the display to the 21" or whatever sized LCD you have hooked up. It will essentially BE your PC. You can drag and drop docs between the fixed storage and the mobile storage. When done. Undock. Your work is done, you're on the go with what you need and it is a smartphone again. :icon_ banana:dancedroid:icon_ banana:

Just remember you heard it from me first. :)

I NEED to pre order this phone!! I want and i am willing to pay full retail :) :icon_ banana:

Droids

Reaction score
These new Moto devices will wield some ungodly power and speed : )
Motorola is BACK!! Not just back from the brink of death, but going straight to the top with plans to stay there. As Winston says, I like Moto.

Now there's talk of Droid2 and Droid Pro not being one and the same. I think Droid Pro must be the Godly.