OFFICIAL: Droid 2 Pre-Release thread

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

papy72

Reaction score
What is "HoFo"?

And I have a hard time believing that VZW would release a phone in a month that would be better than the Incredible. It just seems like it's far too soon. October/November yeah I can see it, but June?

And of course if these new phones don't release on VZW, then I really don't care about them...

Darkseider

Reaction score
What is "HoFo"?

And I have a hard time believing that VZW would release a phone in a month that would be better than the Incredible. It just seems like it's far too soon. October/November yeah I can see it, but June?

And of course if these new phones don't release on VZW, then I really don't care about them...

I don't see a problem with Verizon dropping multiple Android handsets with near equal specs. I think it is the best move that they could make to be honest. Especially with the impending release of the iPhone 4G on AT&T. Why not give customers the option of Eris, Devour, Droid, Incredible, Ally and Shadow by June? This way come year end they can drop the Aloha, Droid 2 and Galaxy S. This would give Verizon a stellar smart phone lineup from low end all the through high end in multiple form factors.

Same goes for Sprint and T-Mobile. Between the Cliq, G1, Hero, Moment, MyTouch 3G, MyTouch Slide, EVO 4G and Nexus One they will have a great line up by June as well. Also note that US Cellular is getting the Desire which can be used on the Verizon network. Great move all around by all carriers to not only push Android to the top but to try and knock the wind out of the iPhone.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

Probably next June.....

can't believe summer is already knocking at the door.

Wait you mean this Junes right? not next year? lol
Yes this June my bad : )

Yes they will both be released on VZW and yes it will be better than the Incredible (from what bill23 has been saying "Fact" not "gossip")

Welcome to the world of tech : )

Keep in mind our current devices are still great and will remain relevant for a while but this is the trend. A better, faster, more feature rich device is ALWAYS right around the corner. You'll never stay in front of it. Unless of course you pay for it. Which can get quite expensive.

Times are changing. People are becoming more and more dependent on smartphones than ever before. This is a HUGE market. Smartphones have evolved into mini-portable computers.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Probably next June.....

can't believe summer is already knocking at the door.

Yes they will both be released on VZW and yes it will be better than the Incredible (from what bill23 has been saying "Fact" not "gossip")

Keep in mind our current devices are still great and will remain relevant for a while but this is the trend. A better, faster, more feature rich device is ALWAYS right around the corner. You'll never stay in front of it. Unless of course you pay for it. Which can get quite expensive.

Times are changing. People are becoming more and more dependent on smartphones than ever before. This is a HUGE market. Smartphones have evolved into mini-portable computers.

That part right there is where Smartphones are going and FAST. By Q2/Q3 of 2011 we will be seeing dual core Cortex A-9 based units using new Lithium Sulfide batteries which have 3x to 4x the mAH capacity in the same space as current Lithium Polymer batteries. This is a VERY exciting time in the mobile space!

Also, there is currently work being done that will blow your minds. Imagine a current smartphone with a docking port similar to that of a laptop only smaller. Now imagine a dock with it's own A/C, video out, USB, bluetooth, additional processors AND memory as well as fixed media (SSD). Plug phone into dock and the phones OS immediately recognizes and scales up and recognizes the new processors, memory, storage and devices. Switches the display to the 21" or whatever sized LCD you have hooked up. It will essentially BE your PC. You can drag and drop docs between the fixed storage and the mobile storage. When done. Undock. Your work is done, you're on the go with what you need and it is a smartphone again. :icon_ banana:dancedroid:icon_ banana:

Just remember you heard it from me first. :)

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

That part right there is where Smartphones are going and FAST. By Q2/Q3 of 2011 we will be seeing dual core Cortex A-9 based units using new Lithium Sulfide batteries which have 3x to 4x the mAH capacity in the same space as current Lithium Polymer batteries. This is a VERY exciting time in the mobile space!

Also, there is currently work being done that will blow your minds. Imagine a current smartphone with a docking port similar to that of a laptop only smaller. Now imagine a dock with it's own A/C, video out, USB, bluetooth, additional processors AND memory as well as fixed media (SSD). Plug phone into dock and the phones OS immediately recognizes and scales up and recognizes the new processors, memory, storage and devices. Switches the display to the 21" or whatever sized LCD you have hooked up. It will essentially BE your PC. You can drag and drop docs between the fixed storage and the mobile storage. When done. Undock. Your work is done, you're on the go with what you need and it is a smartphone again. :icon_ banana:dancedroid:icon_ banana:

Ugh stop it...you're making my dribble all over myself.

Reaction score

I just pooped a little. :icon_eek:

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

I just pooped a little. :icon_eek:

Didn't need to know that... :wacko:

Anyway, I will love when this happens. The advancement in technology is amazing. this could be just around the corner for all we know.

SL-1200

Reaction score
Nice, also imagine...

Your TV, receiver, anything now with bluetooth connectivity. Your phone will be wirelessly connected to those devices in a multimedia fashion seamlessly. Now you can watch streaming or downloaded movies or even cable to your TV while playing the audio through your receiver. You get a phone call, you step out of the room full of peeps and answer the call all while everything is still streaming perfectly without a hiccup (running a clean 85 degrees Fahrenheit).

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Look at the next gen TI OMAP 3630 that the Shadow may be sporting. My guess is that it will.

It's very fast. 151-154 FPS fast.

Wonder what the Droid 2 will be running......

[video=youtube;lQQM3w8atsM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQQM3w8atsM]YouTube - Texas Instruments 65nm OMAP3430 vs 45nm OMAP3630[/video]

R

Romple

..... using new Lithium Sulfide batteries which have 3x to 4x the mAH capacity in the same space as current Lithium Polymer batteries. T

Everyone see Darkseider when your batteries explode from the use of metallic lithium anodes, the only (current) way to have a functioning sulfide based cell. ;-p

Droids

Reaction score
Look at the next gen TI OMAP 3630 that the Shadow may be sporting. My guess is that it will.

It's very fast. 151-154 FPS fast.
My droid running at 600mhz... max I can get is about 60fps, usually about 55 though.

BzB

Reaction score
june release?? the droid will have been out for barely 3 quarters at that point. sounds rushed to me, but maybe they want to get one good hw/sw upgrade in before the big LTE push.