"Official"? Bionic battery life thread

Psychlone

Reaction score
Thank you for the response and explinstion. I was looking at the template on Tapatalk. So that might be why I was seeing a bunch of *stuff. * So I will take a look at it on the actual website. Lol.

I kind of use my phone as a computer a lot. And even have been know to pull it out on scene when a patient throws a drug none of us have heard of. So I whip out Epocrates or something similar and casually pass it to the guy that has patient contact.

So me using it "as a computer" I think if I took the 60 hours of light to moderate use to 18-20 hours of the same use. Could very well be less than that. But I'll have to play with the settings some more and see.

I never would have thought about trying to leave GPS or background data and that sort of thing. Which puzzles me how a ROM would have batterylife when something that potentially polls the battery. I will have to try that. Starting with background data being turned back on all the time again. Lol

Thanks again!

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain

You're welcome. I would like to point out that I'm no expert on Android devices, I'm an IT with 27 years experience, and I pay attention - nothing more. That certainly doesn't make me an authority on the subject though.

As for leaving GPS on, I found (through trial and error with different ROMs), that the internal GPS radio wasn't actually being used like we think it would be - it's only actually activated when a program polls it, so that means that when I pull up Nav or Car Home, that my GPS doesn't waste time trying to locate me (and running down the battery). With this new Standalone GPS in the Bionic, I haven't really noticed much of a difference in battery life in and of itself, but I've noticed the same decrease in the time it takes to locate my current position, which would definitely equate to less battery used in the long run... just nothing noticeable right then and there.

Yeah I don't know how the crap you get 60 hours. My settings are almost identical to yours and today on my standard battery on 3g for most the time and on 4g for a little bit with light usage I got like 8.5....keep in mind that's light usage. If it was heavy I would be down to like 6 hours or something

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

What is your "light" usage?? This is the one variable that only a filled-in template would show and we could compare oranges to oranges.
See, for ME, "light" usage is roughly an hour of calls, roughly 60 texts and roughly two hours of WiFi use in a 24 hour period.

I agree and disagree w the 60 hours battery life. I was able to get 40+ hours last week and still had 60% left. Of course that was w very little use. A couple texts and some time w words w friends. Could've gotten 60+ if I continued not using my phone but I started streaming NFL redzone and lasted 3 hours.

On a daily basis I usually unplug my phone at 6 am and by the time I get home at 10 it'll be 25-30%. I'm on 4g all day w the extended battery.

It all depends on the usage of your phone. Psy posted he gets great battery life because he doesn't use his phone like the rest of us.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

The bolded text is the main difference in all of our phones - yes, it's the same device, but even with the same exact settings and all other things being equal, it's the user that differs.
However, I find your "very little use" kind of vague as well. If you really only had 2-3 texts and "some time" with words w/friends, you just used your phone quite a bit less than I do. But then at the end you said that you spend all day on 4G... does that mean you're using 4G all day long or ?? (just confused)

I sorta followed Psychlone's settings yesterday. I drained my battery last night and charged it over night. I awoke to a fully charged battery @ 5 and unplugged it for my day. I have used it about the way I typically do. I don't think I have had any significant changes today, and after 11 hours, I am at 80%! I have been on 4G for about an hour this morning, and the remainder has been on WiFi at work. I'll keep a watch on it and fill in my version of the template once I know this is working...
Right now, I'm happy as can be!
OH! BTW, this is a stock battery in a stock Bionic....

Again, I'm not the authority on battery life. I've been playing with Droid since it's inception and have noticed many, many things. It's my job to note discrepancies in computers and software, so it's easy for me to make a single setting change and then log and note the differences between a day without that setting and a day with it. Follow that up with many settings and many different ROMs on several different Android phones, and you've just grasped exactly what I've done here.

It all comes down to how much you actually need that device in your pocket vs. how much you need it in your hands, AS WELL AS how long you can wait for an email to arrive, etc. For instance, how many people on this planet absolutely HAVE to have an email the second it's sent? I can't say I've ever missed anything of importance in a 10-minute period, so it doesn't make sense to have my Bionic's email set to "push", constantly polling the 3G stream waiting for that elusive email that's going to save someone's life... that doesn't happen for me, so my Bionic's settings reflect that. Same with WiFi - it's on when I'm at home, but I'm on my computer when I'm at home - I really only have it on for convenience because if I actually need to download some app to my phone while I'm at home, I can use my 30MB/s speed rather than the crap 3G speeds I'm stuck with.
GPS, again, is a different beast altogether. I have found ROMs that hate having GPS on at all and will deplete the battery very quickly because the ROM isn't intelligent enough to turn it off when it's not needed. But most of the newer ROMs, including all the stock 2.2 and higher Gingerbread on most of the phones I've tested, it *is* smart enough to only poll GPS data when it needs to, shutting down it's standalone internal radio when it's not needed.

Anyway, I'm glad some of you are finally getting some use out of the template! I made it with the vision that more people would post their settings in it along with their actual usage and their "time to discharge" so we all have a standardized "benchmark" that we all could tear apart and understand. Maybe now it will catch on.
Again, the end-user is the biggest difference here - the hardware is identical, it's only about how you use your phone and what settings you can have turned to OFF - even if that means you have to turn it on when you need it... sure, it's a bit of a pain to have to turn things on and off instead of having it fully-automagic, but hey, even 20 hours is better than 10, right? ;)

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Uh is having spare battery beyond the pale? I always have one at work on a charger and one at home.
Who cares how long it a takes to drain a battery, when getting low I pop in the full one and go.
Forget about all the power savings, (not really, I can save about 20% if I use these tips you'all have posted) but why limit your self?

revelated

Reaction score
Uh is having spare battery beyond the pale? I always have one at work on a charger and one at home.
Who cares how long it a takes to drain a battery, when getting low I pop in the full one and go.
Forget about all the power savings, (not really, I can save about 20% if I use these tips you'all have posted) but why limit your self?

I wouldn't mind that if the phone could stay powered on while plugged in, sans battery, to allow for quick, uninterrupted swapping. But, it doesn't.

gravebelly

Reaction score
I have had Bionic since release. After getting extended battery no problems. The battery ran its cycle a few times and appears to be getting stronger or it is at its stongest point. A battery company "Mugen" have made batteries for the bionic and are suppose to be good check link out. Verzion Motorola Droid Bionic Battery Life Increased by 15% by Mugen Power Batteries - Yahoo! News

Overall just kill junk that does not need to be on 24-7. Overall I am very happy with battery life and phone. Cant wait until update soon. I know phone had glitches at first but most of them appear to have worked themself out over time?? I figured with new phone this could be common. My phone has ran really well and I am a bionic fan. :icon_ banana:

RodThaBod

Reaction score
One thing people need to remember. If you charge your battery and it says battery is charged it may not be fully charged. It shows fully charged at 95% so if you pull it off the charger and the minute it goes to 94% then it basically shows a 10% drop which is not true. 95% will show 100% and 94% will show 90% under the battery manager. Get the widget called circle battery widget and it shows you the battery broken down into 1% increments instead of 10% ones.

jonnygage

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used any of the mugen-powered extended batteries before? I was just looking at them (not available til 11/25), but they are supposed to keep the same size as the stock battery while increasing battery life. Never needed an extended battery on a phone until now. Problem is I am using the Otterbox Commuter case. The case is pretty essential for the type of work that I do and I cant get rid of it for one of the silicone or tpu cases. Hoping this might do the trick, just wanted some of your opinions or see if anyone has used products from them before.
[HLI-XT875SL] Buy Mugen Power 2000mAh Extended Battery for Verzion Motorola Droid Bionic

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
Before I got the Extended Battery, I would take my phone off the charger at 7:30 a.m, and by lunch time around 1 P.M I was at 20% or less. And that was with the phone being idle for about 60% of that time. With the Extended battery, the phone is AMAZING. You can do whatever the heck you want, as much as you want and the battery will still get you through the entire day and then some.

wooddale

Reaction score
Before I got the Extended Battery, I would take my phone off the charger at 7:30 a.m, and by lunch time around 1 P.M I was at 20% or less. And that was with the phone being idle for about 60% of that time. With the Extended battery, the phone is AMAZING. You can do whatever the heck you want, as much as you want and the battery will still get you through the entire day and then some.

Good to here man ordered one yesterday should be here Wensday. I was same as you I dont turn nothing off. Thats why I bought the phone. How much thicker does it make it? I figure about as thick as at top?

sg1strgt

Reaction score
I've had my Bionic for less than a week and my battery life sucks. From a full charge, with moderate usage (which includes having GPS not maps or directions turned on), I'm dow from 99 to 70 in about an hour. WAY worse than my Fascinate! Any suggestions? Root and if so what ROM would give me the most battery life and speed?

wooddale

Reaction score
I've had my Bionic for less than a week and my battery life sucks. From a full charge, with moderate usage (which includes having GPS not maps or directions turned on), I'm dow from 99 to 70 in about an hour. WAY worse than my Fascinate! Any suggestions? Root and if so what ROM would give me the most battery life and speed?
That really sucks man I dont tbink mine is quite that bad hard yo say Like I said I just ordered a extended battery so we will see. As far as root and roms there are only 4 out there only 2that are rven eorth doing Ive been on both TH3ORY and Liberty. Theory by far best of the two. As far as battery no difference unless ypu go to the leaked OTA5.7.893 and that is questionable I dont thinkbits much better. When the official OTA comes out if it does it is supposed to fix

Reaction score
I installed my new extended battery (BW8X) yesterday afternoon and it's now been running for 18 hours, 3 minutes, 8 seconds. When I had the original battery in my phone would be dead within six hours or less with moderate to heavy use. When I first installed the extended battery I let it charge fully while the phone was off. I then began using it heavily throughout the evening and let it stay on without charging overnight (on the data saver "night" mode). I started using it heavily again this morning at 7, trying to run the battery down quickly so I can do another full-charge cycle. I'm running videos, listening to music, widgets running, frequent email polling and syncing, reading news and this forum, etc., and I still have 32% battery left. I can't seem to run this thing down fast enough. I can't imagine the battery life I will have once the OTA hits.

Worth every bit of the $25 I paid for this. I still need a good case with a belt clip...

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
Good to here man ordered one yesterday should be here Wensday. I was same as you I dont turn nothing off. Thats why I bought the phone. How much thicker does it make it? I figure about as thick as at top?

I think it's pretty close the same thickness as the hump. It might be a tiny bit thicker but for a phone that does what you expected it to do, all day long, it's totally worth it. I haven't regretted getting the extended battery and it actually made me like the phone so much more.

doctordoctor

Reaction score
Okay peeps here's the solution to the case. Use the otterbox without the back plastic piece.so with the extended battery you place the screen on then the rubber back.it is not perfect but I have had zero issues with it. works even with the belt clip. So there is the case solution.

Reaction score
Okay peeps here's the solution to the case. Use the otterbox without the back plastic piece.so with the extended battery you place the screen on then the rubber back.it is not perfect but I have had zero issues with it. works even with the belt clip. So there is the case solution.

I had already considered that. I didn't like the fit of the back of the Otterbox on my phone without the battery door. I went with the Verizon case/holster (the one with the old lady couch pattern). I like it so far - slim profile, won't create a big lump in my suit, etc.

SonRK

Reaction score
Was getting about 10-12 hours with 4G on, and then I switched to 3G only and it's running the whole day which is great. 17 hours and im at 30%

Im reading a back at these posts and they had the extended battery for $25?! How could I miss this sale =[ . I see that it's online for $38 at VerizonWireless. Is this still a good deal or can I pick it up cheaper elsewhere still