"Official"? Bionic battery life thread

Abadus

Reaction score
Battery saver mode will shut off your data 15 min after screen off. It is like a super basic Juice defender and built right in. I did it yesterday and it made a huge difference. That being said I am working on other ways to save battery. I want to get e-mails in a timely manner and what not.

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
Well since you seem to be having really good luck with your standard battery can you please post up all of your settings. My extended battery will barely go 24 hrs. Geez. So if you would help everyone out and post your battery saving settings,4g on or off, data settings and just everything that you have set. I would like to try your set up and see what I get
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Psychlone

Reaction score
Well since you seem to be having really good luck with your standard battery can you please post up all of your settings. My extended battery will barely go 24 hrs. Geez. So if you would help everyone out and post your battery saving settings,4g on or off, data settings and just everything that you have set. I would like to try your set up and see what I get

Sure, no problem... I created a template for exactly this over a month ago, yet no one sees an advantage to using it. I had relegated it to the past until now - I hope you can get some use out of it!

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...ionic-battery-life-thread-33.html#post1754237
Psychlone said:
(Original post from 9/22/2010)

Wireless Networks
Airplane Mode
[OFF]
WiFi
[OFF]
Bluetooth
[OFF]
>Mobile Networks

Network Mode
[CDMA ONLY]

System Select
[HOME ONLY]

Display
Brightness
[MIN]
Animation
[OFF]
Screen Timeout[30 Seconds]
Battery &
Data Manager
Battery Mode
[Custom]

>
[CUSTOM SETTINGS]

Off-peak hours
[10:00pm] to [8:00am]

Turn off data after[15 Minutes]

Peak hours data off after
[Always On]

Display brightness
[MIN]
Data Saver
[OFF]

Data Delivery

>Background Data
[ ]
Data Roaming
[ ]
Data Enabled
[X]
Social Applications

Sync over Wi-Fi Only
[X]

Data deliver frequency[60 Minutes]

Backup Assistant
Recurring Sync[Late Night]
Location &
Security
Google Location Services
[X]
Standalone GPS Services
[X]
VZW Location Services
[ ]
Share Picture Location
[ ]
Allow Bluetooth Bypass[ ]

Privacy
Back Up My Data
[X]
Automatic Restore
[X]

Date & Time

Automatic
[X]

USAGE
TEXTS
CALLS (in minutes)
INTERNET TIME (min)
GAMES (min)
MISC (Apps in min)*
48120300120*
BATTERY LIFE
to total
discharge
37 hours* no GPS or internet based
apps were used

Now, if EVERYONE could use this same template and insert their own values into it, we'll be doing a standardized comparison that actually matters.
(by the way, these are my actual settings)

PLEASE copy this template into your next posts, fill in the fields with YOUR personal settings, follow it up at the bottom with YOUR personal usage and how long your battery lasted. This way, everyone that comes to this page (now and forever) will have a standardized way to see what's working for some people and what isn't.
I fully realize that everyone's needs are going to be different, but this is for those people that just might think "hey, I don't need [insert setting here] running all the time!" ...

**EDIT:
My Time to Total Discharge is now over 60 hours with what I consider light-moderate usage.
The main point here is the way WE use our phones... turning off any setting that even remotely affects the battery should be done if you want to save juice, otherwise, you're going to have to find your own happy medium.

Last edited:

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. My settings looks reallly close to yours. I also have a bunch of apps selected in the stock task manager app to kill them after two minutes of not using them. I dont have any other task killer apps, do you? I will stick my slim battery in tomorrow and see what i get. I sure as heck doubt it will even touch yours since im using 4g for about half of my battery (when im home) and the other half is used when im at work where i have more singal.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Sure, no problem... I created a template for exactly this over a month ago, yet no one sees an advantage to using it. I had relegated it to the past until now - I hope you can get some use out of it!

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...ionic-battery-life-thread-33.html#post1754237

**EDIT:
My Time to Total Discharge is now over 60 hours with what I consider light-moderate usage.
The main point here is the way WE use our phones... turning off any setting that even remotely affects the battery should be done if you want to save juice, otherwise, you're going to have to find your own happy medium.

Thanks for taking the time to do this and repost it...
I have had 3 1/2 days with my Bionic. So far the battery isn't all that great, but neither was the one in my Pre. I have, however, started paying close attention to the apps running and other items which may be draining the thing. Some of the times posted on this tread for battery life blows my mind. I have yet to watch a video, much less a movie....

Anyhow, I printed and readjusted my settings to be closer to yours (though I was pretty close to begin with) to see if that makes a difference. With light use of about 20 minutes of reading emails and top news stories this morning, texting back and forth with one of my kids for about 5 minutes, and one voicemail retrieval, I was down to 50% in 4 hours. I have 4g coverage at home and work. Was using WiFi, but was losing battery juice like crazy.

My plan is to run the battery down to nothing tonight and recharge. Do that for a couple of days and see what happens. I'll adjust the template with my settings and re-post in a few days....

Thanks again, Psychlone...

Reaction score
Thank you, Psychlone!

I turned my battery to Max Battery Sager and noticed a huge difference, too. Not sure to what scale compared to yours. But a huge differenfe, nonetheless.

Question, though. How would I read the post with all the settings? I wanted to fompare it to mine. But I couldn't follow all the gibberish. Lol.

But another thing I noticed a difference on was having the data sync only when connected to wifi, and also turning off auto sysnc (in the power control widget). Do you have it set that way too?

+1 on individual preferences. My particilular style is I don't want anything running or polling my battery unless I tell it too - i.e. auto syncing. I got in the habbit after my DX1 and DX2 to have the battery mode set to "Performance" befause it was said to help keep the connection with 3G and cut down on data drops on those POS's. But I tried switching it back recently and came apon this thread and your post. Now I would love to see what I get in comparison to yours....60 hours after light to moderate use....That is outstanding, sir!

*Edit - if I am assuming I am.reading that stuff right, doubtful I will match that because I will be keeping it on 4G as much as I can.

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain

Last edited:

Psychlone

Reaction score
The template I made up is like a flowchart - look at the bold on the left...that's the entry point into further settings that are to the right, and any bolded entries that are to the right are still under the main setting, just a different setting or series of settings.

i.e.
Wireless & Networks > Airplane Mode
Wireless & Networks > WiFi
Wireless & Networks > Bluetooth
then
Wireless Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Mode
Wireless Networks > Mobile Networks > System Select

...it was just easier to draw up a flowchart that reads from left to right (the template) than to type everything out long-form like I just did here.

As for 4G, I'm not in a 4G area... in fact, the closest 4G area is about 250 miles away, but I will say these things: I have computers for downloading. I have 30MB/s downloads and 5MB/s uploads, so it's better than 4G, and it's on my 2 X 30" monitors that I can see just fine! ;)
Also, about leaving 3G on, or GPS on/off or whatever - that's all trial and error for each individual phone and individual ROMs. I found back in the olden days when the D1 first started getting ROMs, that some ROMs would behave better (and get better battery life) if you left GPS on and data off, where other ROMs didn't like either of them turned on - or vice versa.

I've had the best battery life on my Bionic (stock but rooted) with GPS Standalone on all the time, Background Data turned off unless I need Market for something, and WiFi on when I'm near an access point. That's my own trial and error and may or may not reflect the best set of circumstances and settings for everyone.

For me, I will say that since I don't use my phone as a computer, I have no need to have data with few exceptions - I run 2 computer repair companies, and sometimes when I'm out on a housecall, I have to transfer data from my server to a client computer that has no internet access, or sometimes I have to use WiFi on my phone to determine exactly which access point has failed at one of the hotels I take care of (WiFi Analyzer FTW!).
Anyway, my point here is that I don't use this little computer as a computer except for when I absolutely NEED it, and that's where most of my great battery life comes from.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for the response and explinstion. I was looking at the template on Tapatalk. So that might be why I was seeing a bunch of *stuff. * So I will take a look at it on the actual website. Lol.

I kind of use my phone as a computer a lot. And even have been know to pull it out on scene when a patient throws a drug none of us have heard of. So I whip out Epocrates or something similar and casually pass it to the guy that has patient contact.

So me using it "as a computer" I think if I took the 60 hours of light to moderate use to 18-20 hours of the same use. Could very well be less than that. But I'll have to play with the settings some more and see.

I never would have thought about trying to leave GPS or background data and that sort of thing. Which puzzles me how a ROM would have batterylife when something that potentially polls the battery. I will have to try that. Starting with background data being turned back on all the time again. Lol

Thanks again!

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain

Last edited:

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
Yeah I don't know how the crap you get 60 hours. My settings are almost identical to yours and today on my standard battery on 3g for most the time and on 4g for a little bit with light usage I got like 8.5....keep in mind that's light usage. If it was heavy I would be down to like 6 hours or something

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I sorta followed Psychlone's settings yesterday. I drained my battery last night and charged it over night. I awoke to a fully charged battery @ 5 and unplugged it for my day. I have used it about the way I typically do. I don't think I have had any significant changes today, and after 11 hours, I am at 80%! I have been on 4G for about an hour this morning, and the remainder has been on WiFi at work. I'll keep a watch on it and fill in my version of the template once I know this is working...
Right now, I'm happy as can be!
OH! BTW, this is a stock battery in a stock Bionic....

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
80% after 11 hours? That's retarded. Can y'all send me your batteries since halls are getting crazy life out of them. Im usually down to 80 % in 3 hours

Reaction score
Me too. I have tried many combos. And they all pretty much blow goats for quarters.

Did all y'alls stop your clocks/watches at all while you were determining the battery life? Lol!

john1

Reaction score
Mine took maybe a week of conditioning to start getting decent life. Now I get 15 to 20 hours on a charge. If you can do some recharge during the day then your golden no matter what your usage is like. Just be sure to charge each night. I'm always in 3g only but strong 3g i.e. no switching. Maybe 20 mins. of combined 1x and 4g on the phone. I turn on wifi for a few hours a day which does effect it. I don't use data features all that often but I do quick notes/texts/calls somewhat frequently. I pay attention to the battery but don't go overboard trying to save it and use no task killer other than the auto end list in the stock task manager. I switched from dumb phone to smart phone which was a bit hard to get used to on the battery but its much better than friends' Android phones.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
80% after 11 hours? That's retarded. Can y'all send me your batteries since halls are getting crazy life out of them. Im usually down to 80 % in 3 hours

Im down to 80% after 11 hours when I sleep for 10 of those hours lol..... 6 hours and I'm down to 62% on an extended.... all matters how and what u use I guess... I'm on 4g all day... some gaming a lot of web and Texts.... usually I'm around 50% by now... and w the stock battery I'm pretty much charging within an hour of now

Jaycea22

Reaction score
I agree and disagree w the 60 hours battery life. I was able to get 40+ hours last week and still had 60% left. Of course that was w very little use. A couple texts and some time w words w friends. Could've gotten 60+ if I continued not using my phone but I started streaming NFL redzone and lasted 3 hours.

On a daily basis I usually unplug my phone at 6 am and by the time I get home at 10 it'll be 25-30%. I'm on 4g all day w the extended battery.

It all depends on the usage of your phone. Psy posted he gets great battery life because he doesn't use his phone like the rest of us.