"Official"? Bionic battery life thread

Abadus

Reaction score
@ work it goes between 4G and 3G constantly. On 4G all day I was using 10-20% an hour. On 3G I was using 5% an hour.
@ home I have good 4G. I used about 5% an hour overnight without any battery saving mode.

I am probally going to root soon and see if that helps my battery. I currently sync a gmail hotmail and yahoo account, facebook account and I have 3 weather widgets on my home screen 1 map and 2 temperature ones.

My battery life is ok but I was hoping for more.

The Architect

Reaction score
Am I the only one who's extended battery lasts seemingly forever? I unplugged the freshly opened and charged extended battery at 6:52AM this morning and have been using it lightly throughout the day for FB, Angry Birds, browsing etc and as I type this to you at 9:52PM it's still at 100%, has anyone has issues with the percentages being incorrectly read?

It should be noted that I am rooted and have frozen a lot of apps and have 4G turned off (No need for 15Mbps+ 99% of the time) lol.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Am I the only one who's extended battery lasts seemingly forever? I unplugged the freshly opened and charged extended battery at 6:52AM this morning and have been using it lightly throughout the day for FB, Angry Birds, browsing etc and as I type this to you at 9:52PM it's still at 100%, has anyone has issues with the percentages being incorrectly read?

It should be noted that I am rooted and have frozen a lot of apps and have 4G turned off (No need for 15Mbps+ 99% of the time) lol.

No, I'm getting insane battery life as well. Maybe it has to do with location? When I went to my dad's who is right on the edge of 3g/4g area my battery dropped like a rock. Otherwise yesterday I when I plugged my phone in it was at 1d 13h.

*standard battery

Last edited:

RodThaBod

Reaction score
You can include me as well. I got the extended battery for 25 bucks ( you can't beat that ) and I am 100% satisfied. It is around 70% at the end of the day. an hour of talking , texting , and internet browsing. I just don't understand why people are not getting good service with the batterys.

Berniep

Reaction score
I previously had the same problem. I had run the same tests and ended up taking Widget Locker off. I found other people in other forums complaining about this as well.
Problem solved, Using a beta version with a fix for the moto photon battery problem the widget locker battery drain is gone. Now at 17 hours still 30 percent left no fancy power managers.

revelated

Reaction score
thats not the helpful answer i was looking for but here ya go......The reason i have 3g on most of the day is because at my place of work.....i dont have 4g so it would be retarded for me to have 4g on and have it constantly looking for 4g all the time.....that would really kill my battery.

Maps runs in the background. If you go into it from the battery usage area, and Force Stop is NOT active, it means it's not running at that moment and what you're looking at is a historical data element. You would have to fully charge the battery to clear it out and start over. Then you can see if Maps fires up again.

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
I let it get down to like 4 % last night and chargerd it all the way up. Looked and maps is still my number 1 user of battery. I know you said it runs in the background and all but yesterday is the first tine I have ever seen maps use that much when I had it turned off. Maybe I will let the phone die and then charge it up and see if that makes a difference

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Psychlone

Reaction score
View attachment 41692
STOCK BATTERY. (I don't even own an extended because I have no need for it)

Fairly light usage, ~ 2 hours of calls, ~60 texts SMS (inc. pix/flix), 6 hours of WiFi

I was getting HORRIBLE battery life on ReBlurred 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 (jumped ship after trying for days and days to get decent battery life) - so I wiped EVERYTHING 3x (just like the olden days), then restored from a good CWR backup of stock I made prior to any ROM installs, ran Powerboost 2.0 (the Unthrottle doesn't work on stock ROM but the other Mods do!)

So, even though the last couple days were pretty low on usage, I *did* use my phone pretty much normally for me - roughly 6 hours on WiFi browsing and downloading apps, surfing, and playing with WiFi apps, etc. is a little higher than my normal WiFi usage, but the calls @ 2 hours and the SMS at ~60 are a little low...

Anyway, I'm happy as can be now that I'm getting almost as good of battery life as I was with my old D1. I had gotten accustomed to 3-4 days on a single charge after a couple years of tweaking it and refining the way I use it and what's running - and now I'm reaping the benefits on my Bionic.

Last edited:

revelated

Reaction score
I let it get down to like 4 % last night and chargerd it all the way up. Looked and maps is still my number 1 user of battery. I know you said it runs in the background and all but yesterday is the first tine I have ever seen maps use that much when I had it turned off. Maybe I will let the phone die and then charge it up and see if that makes a difference

IF Maps is actively running and consuming that can only mean one of two things.

1: you're running Maps.
2: Maps is calling out to GPS for some reason. This usually happens as a result of some widget.

Psychlone, good battery there. More proof positive that the Bionic can get some legendary battery if customized right. I think I peaked out at 60-something hours which of course is just shy of 3 days, on the standard battery.

Last edited:

Bionicboy

Reaction score
I got mine on Saturday and have been charging it when need be. I've noticed that the battery drains pretty quickly when I use it once in awhile. Will it improve over time, is it doing that because it's new?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got mine on Saturday and have been charging it when need be. I've noticed that the battery drains pretty quickly when I use it once in awhile. Will it improve over time, is it doing that because it's new?

Yes, the battery life should improve as it's used. You might want to run it down completely a couple of times.

wooddale

Reaction score

The battery is a big issue. I have a Thunderbolt as well as the Bionic I gotta say The Bionic is better than the TB. My theory is its a smart phone if you use your gonna use battery but it will be fun.

tharper

Reaction score
Well my wife and I bought our bionics from Amazon wireless for a penny. both of our phones get terrible battery life. With 4g turned off after about three hours of little use the phones were at about 70%. 40% of that was due to cell standby. When I turn data completely off the battery does much better (I get about 15 hours from moderate use on wifi) but cell standby is still the top use 40% even though my display had been on for over an hour it's at 10% of the overall battery use

Psychlone

Reaction score
Well my wife and I bought our bionics from Amazon wireless for a penny. both of our phones get terrible battery life. With 4g turned off after about three hours of little use the phones were at about 70%. 40% of that was due to cell standby. When I turn data completely off the battery does much better (I get about 15 hours from moderate use on wifi) but cell standby is still the top use 40% even though my display had been on for over an hour it's at 10% of the overall battery use

Unless you're cracking out on something *constantly*, Cell Standby is always going to be one of the top 2 or 3 (usually the FIRST).
My Cell Standby is usually in the 30-40% range, but that percentage doesn't really mean anything to anyone but me - because I know where I am relative to the cell towers near me. For instance, if you're on the edge of 1 or more cells, your phone will "thrash" (for lack of a better term) looking for the better signal. If you're in between 2 cells (or more), it will thrash less, but will still constantly be looking for the better signal. Only when you're well within a cell will you find that your "Cell Standby" doesn't actually physically drain your battery - and it's percentage doesn't really even matter.

As for data and 4G and all that great stuff - turn it off unless you're actually using it. I know, I know, what's the point in having one of the coolest toys around that's totally capable of all this cool stuff if you have to turn it on and off... but you have to acknowledge that this is FIRST-GENERATION tech here - nothing before this has had 4G tech combined with Standalone GPS and all the other goodies all combined into a single package - WE are the guinea pigs and our phones are the test subjects.

I have JuiceDefender (paid with Ultimate Juice) installed on my phone, but I'm not actually running it - haven't for several days since I found the "Data Toggle" widget that comes with it (I know there are other, free data-toggle widgets on the market that do the same thing, I've only played with this one). I toggle the data to ON when I need it (which is pretty rarely - I do computer repair, I own 2 computer repair companies, so I'm usually on a computer), and I toggle it back OFF when I don't need it... simple as that.
Everything else that I don't need is set to OFF, and I'm getting 2 full days out of my stock battery on a single charge.

Keep in mind that the way I use my phone is likely nothing like the way you're going to use yours, but the point here is to train YOURSELF to use your phone accordingly rather than hope your phone adapts to you.

tharper

Reaction score
Unless you're cracking out on something *constantly*, Cell Standby is always going to be one of the top 2 or 3 (usually the FIRST).
My Cell Standby is usually in the 30-40% range, but that percentage doesn't really mean anything to anyone but me - because I know where I am relative to the cell towers near me. For instance, if you're on the edge of 1 or more cells, your phone will "thrash" (for lack of a better term) looking for the better signal. If you're in between 2 cells (or more), it will thrash less, but will still constantly be looking for the better signal. Only when you're well within a cell will you find that your "Cell Standby" doesn't actually physically drain your battery - and it's percentage doesn't really even matter.

As for data and 4G and all that great stuff - turn it off unless you're actually using it. I know, I know, what's the point in having one of the coolest toys around that's totally capable of all this cool stuff if you have to turn it on and off... but you have to acknowledge that this is FIRST-GENERATION tech here - nothing before this has had 4G tech combined with Standalone GPS and all the other goodies all combined into a single package - WE are the guinea pigs and our phones are the test subjects.

I have JuiceDefender (paid with Ultimate Juice) installed on my phone, but I'm not actually running it - haven't for several days since I found the "Data Toggle" widget that comes with it (I know there are other, free data-toggle widgets on the market that do the same thing, I've only played with this one). I toggle the data to ON when I need it (which is pretty rarely - I do computer repair, I own 2 computer repair companies, so I'm usually on a computer), and I toggle it back OFF when I don't need it... simple as that.
Everything else that I don't need is set to OFF, and I'm getting 2 full days out of my stock battery on a single charge.

Keep in mind that the way I use my phone is likely nothing like the way you're going to use yours, but the point here is to train YOURSELF to use your phone accordingly rather than hope your phone adapts to you.

I have figured out how to extend the battery for a full day of use, but my issue comes with the fact that it doesn't seem ANYONE else had the need to manage their phone data in order to make it through a day. I've read lots reviews on the outstanding battery life. People using 4g get better battery life than me when I leave my 3g on. I don't have terrible service at my house and even at work where I get great service it does the same thing. but both my and my wife's phone do the same thing..I don't see the probability of both of us getting lemons very high