OFFICIAL Are you having WiFi problems Thread

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by cuzzinz, Jun 18, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. cuzzinz

cuzzinz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok... so i think I have posted at least once or twice about this and i have seen 2 or three other threads get pushed into oblivion about this so I am labeling this official and everyone post your woes in this one. (admin feel free to merge other wifi threads into this one)

Ok so if you have any problems with wifi post them in here.

Hopefully if enough of us can post exactly what our issues are it can help us find a solution or possibly even help Pete fix the problem.

It can be WiFi tether, problems with keeping a WiFi connection, problems with encryption like WPA, WEP, WPA2, etc.

I think it is very important for everyone to post their details also so use the following format.

ROM:
    Kernel:
    Overclock:
    APPS2SD: Enabled/Disabled?

Problem: (if you are having problems with encryption or dropped wifi connections please post what router you have...and what type of encryption or connection you are using. e.g. WEP, WPA, etc. 802.11g, 802.11b, etc)
    Router: Obviously skip these if you are having WiFi tether issues
    Encryption:

NOTES: Opinion or more detail as to how and when you noticed

MY PROBLEM:
    ROM: BB v0.2.1
    Kernel: P3 125-1000LV 2.2
    Overclock: Using Petes script with the above kernel for a 1GHz Max
    APPS2SD: DISABLED (but i have a few games and such manually moved over to the SD card)

Problem: When I am at home connected to my router I can browse the internet just fine but the second I try to download a large file, remote connect to my desktop over the local network, or download an update from the market the connect drops and fails and then comes back :-/)
    Router: I am using a 500GB Apple Time capsule with built in airport extreme 802.11n (b/g compatible) Works fine with my fiancées Droid Eris
    Encryption: WPA2 Personal (aka WPA2 PSK)

NOTES: I think a lot of people on here use an open connection at home or may not even notice they have a problem. I dont usually download large files at home (bad 3g coverage in my living room)... I just check my facebook and such and it was a week before I even noticed it. Especially because it only happens when passing a lot of data through the Wifi connection... i.e. downloading large files.
  2. five5

five5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    try hitting forget network, disconnect wifi, enable wifi, enter PW again and let it do it's thing. Worked for me.
  3. cuzzinz

cuzzinz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    lol i have done that already... lol Wouldn't have posted a thread like this if I didnt think of something that simple.

TY for the suggestion.

Like i said my problem isnt that I cant connect... it works fine. I can browse the net with everything off except for wifi.

The problem is that I cant download large files... like a rom update and I have issues remoting into my main desktop on my local network.
  4. five5

five5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry just skimmed thru. I have problems downloading files w/ underscores ( _ ) in them, when i remove them they work. You are having updating market files so i don't think thats the problem...

Did you wipe prior to installation?
  5. cuzzinz

cuzzinz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Currently no... but when i discovered the problem I wiped my droid (cache/data 3 Times each) and put v0.2 on as a clean install with NONE of my stuff on it. I tried to connect to my wifi and again it connects but when I try to download a large file (i was trying to download the v0.2.1 rom at the time) it just fails and the wifi connects and disconnects.

It is definitely a problem with froyo and I think wpa encryption. I had no problems with 2.1 and neither does my fiancée.

I have seen a few other people post about similar problems on the bugless beast thread and on a few other forums... I am just trying to get everyone in one place so the problem can be better documented.
  6. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ROM: Any 2.2
    Kernel: Used them all
    Overclock: Used them all
    APPS2SD: Don't use it

Problem: My router is set for MAC address filtering and I already added my phone some months ago. Confirmed WiFi still works for Android 2.1 flawlessly, but when I switch to 2.2 ROM, I can connect to the router (if I can even find it) but the connection is at 1 to zero bars, basically no data transfers at all.
    Router: LinkSys
    Encryption: WPA2 Personal

Just posting to give more information, I am in the same boat. 3G is fine for now, but I do miss my WiFi :(
  7. cuzzinz

cuzzinz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering... why Use WPA2 if you have mac address filtering? lol I mean i know that makes it extra secure but it isnt necessary. I think WPA2 seems to be the problem.

I just work way to much and always seem to have something to do when i get home so I havent had a chance to try different types of encryption.

If a solution isnt found in future updates or official 2.2 released I will most likely be changing my network to OPEN with mac address filtering. SOO MANY DEVICES LOL
  8. zerosouls

Ratings:
    +0
    Call me paranoid, but I live in a large apartment complex and would rather put full scale protection on my wireless than not.
  9. cuzzinz

cuzzinz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ya I understand... I was just curious.

I will try playing with the different types of encryption on my router and give an update on Monday. Hopefully we get a few other people with similar issues.
  10. coltzfan

coltzfan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was having problems as well. BB v0.2.1 and I redid my linksys settings to change the channel to 11 instead of 6. (via ip address) I had to do this for our Wii also that was not connecting to our network. I had WPA2 security which I disabled and made it an open network. Fortunately for us, we live in the country and our closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away.

I know this might not help many, but it worked for me.
  11. crpngdth2001

crpngdth2001 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am running the specifics in my sig, and using WPA2 PSK and not having any problems with large files (have d/l up to 800-900mb files via Wifi).
  12. machineheadg2r

machineheadg2r Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've used different kernals by 4 authors and cannot get wifi to connect on wpa/wp2 but it does connect to unprotected networks.
  13. dan5jr

dan5jr New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having a similar issue where i can connect to WEP or unsecured networks but I'm having trouble connecting to WPA/PSK networks. Right now running UD Froyo Beta, but I'm about to update to the latest one. Also, the WPA network used to connect before switching to froyo.

Any ideas?
  14. zerosouls

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried changing some features with my router minus removing WEP or WPA2/PSK encryption and can't seem to get a stable connection... could these mean that Froyo inertly does not have the capability to speak to this encryption?? It's weird, because I CAN connect to the router sometimes on both encryptions, but data transfer is mostly non existant.
  15. Dad Man Walking

Dad Man Walking New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Uh...let me help you out here a little bit. If you run an open (unencrypted) network, evil people with simple software tools could easily eavesdrop on your wireless traffic. The mac filter prevents unauthorized devices from accessing the network...but the person who knows how to read your wireless traffic will also know how to spoof your mac address, so he'll still be able to steal your bandwidth.
Search tags for this page
android mac address unavailable

android wifi mac address unavailable

dd-wrt wpa wifi network droid razr maxx hd
droid 2 wifi error host unreachable
elipswitch
how to fix wifi mac address unavailable

lg ally mac address unavailable

mac address unavailable htc sensation
nemesis titanium wifi ip address unavaliable
wifi mac adress unavailable