Official Android 2.2 User Guide [Download]

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
22userguide[df].JPG

I'm sure many of you are anticipating with baited breath the Android 2.2 OTA Update for your DROID 1, DROID X, and HTC Incredible. To tide you all over, we have for you today the official Android 2.2 user guide, which goes into painstakingly great detail of any and every aspect of Android 2.2, including calling, texting, notifications, onscreen keyboard, browser, email, optimizing battery life, etc. The guide is 336 pages long, and is the most complete reference for Android to date. Check it out, and let us know what you think.

Download here: Android22Usersguide.PDF

via Droid Life

ArykMeyer

Reaction score
its blank for me. i cant see anything it loads a blank page every time

Bimmerjo

Reaction score
Using firefox, I right clicked on the link and clicked "save link as" And was able to view it that way. Most likely the reason its showing up blank for everybody is because you are not giving it enough time to load into the browser.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
it's a HUGE pdf... 300+ pages (~12MBs). right-click and save as... to download.

Diggs

Reaction score
It has the info about tethering and WiFi hotspot usage.

Hopefully, reports that those are disabled are wrong.

Diggs

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Diggs

this is a general guide to android 2.2. not specific for the Droid 1.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I've saved it, and will probably put it on my sd card so it'll be with the Droid.

Phreaker47

Reaction score

Diggs

Nope, they disabled it, and a spokesperson even lied and said the hardware doesn't support it:

Verizon Motorola Droid Android 2.2 Update to Omit Tethering and Mobile Hotspot Support | PhoneNews.com

The forthcoming Verizon Android 2.2 Motorola Droid update being rolled out to customers this week will omit two key features natively supported in the latest Android version in Mobile Hotspot support and in support for tethering via USB. Verizon spokesperson Brenda Raney issued the following statement:
"The Droid by Motorola doesn’t have [the] hardware to support a Mobile Hotspot. With tethering there is no Connection on the PC side that will allow you to tether the device so the answer is that option isn’t part of this update."
While the Verizon Motorola Droid has not officially supported mobile hotspot access or tethering, the Android mod and software development community has proven that tethering and hotspot creation do indeed function without issue on the device when loaded with certain unofficial Android builds or when using select software such as PDAnet, which places the aforementioned statement in question.
This also contradicts previous statements regarding the device’s capability, as the carrier previously confirmed tethering and hotspot after the device was launched in November of last year.The update will still include the expected updates to support Flash and other key features of Android 2.2, though in light of the recent launch of the Droid X and discontinuation of the Droid ahead of the release of the Droid2, it appears Verizon and Motorola have decided to focus on its successor instead of continuing to support what was once its flagship Android device.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've just read the first page so far:
1) DON'T listen to the guy at VZ and your cousin about how you need to kill tasks
2) DON'T use the stock email client. Use the Gmail app, K9, or touchdown
3) Download other browsers, like Dolphin HD and xscope, and set user agent to Desktop/Computer
4) Watch out for the GPS icon in the notification bar at the top. It really uses battery power. When you are done with Navigation, choose Exit from the menu. When done with maps, press your phone's Home button to tell it to stop using GPS
5) When installing apps, watch what privileges you are granting! Why is your wallpaper asking to access your contacts? Also watch for stuff that runs on startup, including widgets, which can take a toll on battery charge.
6) Try to find your answer using the droidforums.net search engine

Technoman

Reaction score
I've just read the first page so far:
1) DON'T listen to the guy at VZ and your cousin about how you need to kill tasks
2) DON'T use the stock email client. Use the Gmail app, K9, or touchdown
3) Download other browsers, like Dolphin HD and xscope, and set user agent to Desktop/Computer
4) Watch out for the GPS icon in the notification bar at the top. It really uses battery power. When you are done with Navigation, choose Exit from the menu. When done with maps, press your phone's Home button to tell it to stop using GPS
5) When installing apps, watch what privileges you are granting! Why is your wallpaper asking to access your contacts? Also watch for stuff that runs on startup, including widgets, which can take a toll on battery charge.
6) Try to find your answer using the droidforums.net search engine

The stock mail app works just fine for my verizon and hotmail accounts. Why are you so set against it?

gishappy

Reaction score
I cannot get the download to work. It starts and then stops each time I attempt to download it.???