OFFICIAL: 2.2/Froyo Issues and Support Thread [NON-ROOT]

idpay2cthat

Reaction score
OK so... I'm about I I <--- this far from going ahead and doing this update. I've never rooted my Droid or anything yet. Since we're so close (theoretically speaking) from get the official OTA 2.2, and some are unsure if this manual upgrade will allow the OTA push of 2.2... What if I waited for the OTA push? Could I then use this process to root? Is this the same version that VZW will be pushing OTA?

edthesped

Reaction score
OK so... I'm about I I <--- this far from going ahead and doing this update. I've never rooted my Droid or anything yet. Since we're so close (theoretically speaking) from get the official OTA 2.2, and some are unsure if this manual upgrade will allow the OTA push of 2.2... What if I waited for the OTA push? Could I then use this process to root? Is this the same version that VZW will be pushing OTA?

Rooting isn't so bad... I agonized about rooting since November and finally pulled the trigger on my phone in late May. I finally felt comfortable enough to root my wife's droid two days ago. I only run plain jane stock builds, currently PeterAlphonso's FRF84B "clean" Deodexed Rom (Froyo) on both phones but it's nice to know that I can do more if I choose. I have wiped all of the crapware that couldn't be wiped from both phones.

Josecq

Reaction score
I'm about to attempt to put 2.2 on my droid but i do have a question:
My Motorola Droid is not rooted. I bought it in May. Do I have to go through the process of rooting before I attempt this? Or can I put 2.2 without rooting my phone? I do realize that once I put 2.2 on my phone it will be rooted.

Wondering the same thing here...any one? :icon_eek:

edthesped

Reaction score
I'm about to attempt to put 2.2 on my droid but i do have a question:
My Motorola Droid is not rooted. I bought it in May. Do I have to go through the process of rooting before I attempt this? Or can I put 2.2 without rooting my phone? I do realize that once I put 2.2 on my phone it will be rooted.

Wondering the same thing here...any one? :icon_eek:

This is off the topic of the thread but to answer your question... As far as I know the phone needs to be rooted first. As a techie in a field other than programming / software I followed the method below on my wife's droid and had her up and running in less than 20 minutes. The only difference is that I substituted the sapphire install with PeterAlfonso's FRF84B clean from this forum as I prefer to remain as close to stock as possible.

How to: Root Android 2.1 and Install Android 2.2 on Motorola DROID - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

PeterAlfonso's clean version

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bu...ndroid-2-2-frf84b-clean-untouched-virgin.html

Last edited:

b-jammin21

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused. I thought that "OFFICIAL: 2.2/Froyo Issues and Support Thread [NON-ROOT]" meant that we were discussing 2.2 Froyo on NON-ROOTED phones.

The title of this forum is misleading, and I don't believe it should have been created until the OTA update was pushed. If I'm understanding this correctly, you need to ROOT your phone to get 2.2 as of now. That means that NON-ROOTED phones can't have 2.2, and makes me wonder how there could already be 20 pages of postings....:huh::icon_question:

What does that have to do with a *[NON-ROOT]*, repeat *[NON-ROOT]* issues and support thread? How could NON-ROOTED phone users be discussing issues about 2.2 when they can't have it yet because it hasn't been officially released?

Wraith

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused.
What does that have to do with a *[NON-ROOT]*, repeat *[NON-ROOT]* issues and support thread? How could NON-ROOTED phone users be discussing issues about 2.2 when they can't have it yet because it hasn't been officially released?

It's like most things nowadays....the BP oil spill....Investment Banking...it's not supposed to make sense.:icon_eek:

jacer

Reaction score
I went through and installed the froyo rom without a problem, flash is working great, wifi works. Hooray!

However, the feature I was most looking forward to, the wifi hot spot, isn't there.

Is it showing up for anyone else? Am I missing something? Is there another package I need to install?

CrimSk3tch

Reaction score
i am stuck on step "(4) in rsdlite you should see the Start button, select it. Let the program run through and your phone will restart." The "Start Button" remains grayed out and i can not click on it. Can anyone help?

I had the same problem only thing was I switched from my desktop to my laptop and it worked fine. Both are running windows 7 x64 so idk

Last edited:

CrimSk3tch

Reaction score
If this is a non-root why is there a super user app built in superuser is for root apps

digitalzen

Reaction score
@Wraith: you can change OS without root, but it has to be installed as a "restore" rather than an "update."

@CrimSk3tch: superuser is a degree of access, not full access. It's necessary in order for the hack to work, but it is not root.

Wraith

Reaction score
Whaaaaaaa??

So, now with the realization that this is not a root method, I thought I'd DL'd everything and tried it on my stock 2.1 droid....FAIL.

I tried it again, and FAIL.

RSD Lite finds the device, runs through 100%, then is stuck on "waiting for re-enumeration" for about 3 mins, then FAIL.

Ready through the first 10 or 12 pages here, did not see any other mention of this....did I miss something?

Phone is stuck on 2C.6C Bootloader, and I have to do a battery pull to reset.

SPRecover mode now gets to a "!" triangle....that is probably bad. (??)

Any ideas?

DroidFail.jpg

Also, Folder is NOT "(froyo-BS-20100605-0631)" As stated above, it is (froyo-BS-20100606-2246) as DL'd from the link. Is this causing the problem??

Last edited:

CrimSk3tch

Reaction score
If you read the directions after you hit the start and your phone resets. You can just disconnect the phone cause you don't need the computer anymore. That program failed on me too but that program doesn't complete the install. Just fallow the instructions after that and you will be able to finish the install just make sure you chose the advance to select the Froyo recovery to complete the instill

Wraith

Reaction score
If you read the directions after you hit the start and your phone resets. You can just disconnect the phone cause you don't need the computer anymore. That program failed on me too but that program doesn't complete the install. Just fallow the instructions after that and you will be able to finish the install just make sure you chose the advance to select the Froyo recovery to complete the instill

First, thanks for your reply and efforts to clarify this issue.

But...I did read the directions, several times. It is still doing exactly what I stated above avery time. My phone does not reset after I hit start on RSDLITE, it just sits there for 3mins, then FAIL (as shown in picture). The only way to get my phone out of bootloader is to do a battery pull.

And, the directions to NOT state the phone resets. They state that YOU have to restart your phone in BOOTLOADER before you hit START (in order to flash phone). Right? You stated it backwards.

In any case, please read my post again and any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Also, I found other posts around here last night in another 2.1->2.2 thread stating other people are having this issue, and have to revert to 2.1 or root to get this to work....no thanks.

On a side note: Why do people still insist on posting antagonistic and frankly assinine remarks like "If you read the directions " when someone is clearly having problems with the directions posted? Either they have a problem reading the directions allready (which rereading won't help), OR they are just too stupid to follow them (in which case rereading wont help either). A more specific instruction, such as "...on the fourth paragraph under "HIT START BUTTON" it states BlaahBlaahBlahh, this should help..." would be more productive. But...this is the interwebs, so who cares about being productive or helpful...really?