Official 2.1 Update... What's Going to Happen???

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Big Lou, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

Just wanted to poll the community to see what their opinions on what will happen with the official 2.1 update.:icon_ banana:

Obviously many of the options are silly. Don't take this too seriously.

Bonus... how long until Root is obtained?
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

What do you mean "what will happen"?

I imagine we will get it, or stay rooted and not get it....

And wait for 2.1 root...
  3. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

You phones will EXPLODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know as for how long until a new exploit is found. How long did it take originally?? Root was already exploited when I bought mine but I would wager it will take longer this time (I would assume the type of people that found the original exploit aren't unrooting to find out).
  4. Deano2423

Deano2423 New Member

I'd assume (and hope) 2.1 will get rooted at which point sholes and BB will be able to do even bigger and better things since they'd be working off of the updated and optimized OTA.
  5. youngin'

youngin' New Member

How would I even get 2.1 Will i be able to download it from phone like the apps or will it be a pain in the ass because i have to drive to the store and have them do it?
  6. shademar

shademar New Member

Droid Eris still isn't rooted in spite of coming out at the same time, so I think people who think it'll be a few days are being a bit optimistic. Original root took a few weeks if I recall? (It coincided with 2.01 update being released.)

The N1 was rooted before it was released, but it was deliberately designed for this to be easy, and it still can't be unrooted as far as I know.
  7. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

No you don't have to do anything...lol much less drive to the VZW store!!

It'll popup as a little notification window on your phone saying there is an update available for your phone....click install now or whatever and your done!:)
  8. Deano2423

Deano2423 New Member

It will be sent OTA (over the air) to your phone, just download it when you receive a notification...

I'll just stay hopeful 2.1 will be rooted since the 2.1 roms aren't perfect yet.

BTW has Sholes commented on plans regarding the 2.1 OTA?
  9. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

Nothing for me. I'm gonna stay rooted and wait for a rom off the official 2.1 and use the 2.1 rom I have now until that point...
  10. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

The 2.1 ROMs aren't perfect yet because a lot of the 2.1 source doesn't play nice on the Droid and, in addition many of them have been ripped from other sources (like the Nexus).

Once 2.1 is OTA the chefs will have the 'official' 2.1 Droid ROM to cook so they will (just as 2.0.1) run better than the stock POS that Moto/VZW will push in addition to allowing us more (or less) features and customizable options.
  11. Deano2423

Deano2423 New Member

That's exactly my hope as well... Not sure why a new root wouldn't be possible after the OTA as some suggest.
  12. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

It's likely the exploit will be removed. As I understand the exploit didn't appear until the 2.0.1 update (but I may be wrong). The other concern is that if/once an exploit is found you WON'T be able to unroot (like on the Nexus 1). Of course that makes rooting VERY worrisome as you will essentially be screwed (i.e. you'd loose the warranty). I just figured that seeing as the current ROMs are great (just flahsed the latest BB from Pete) I'd wait to see the actual/final answer to these questions.
  13. pthance

pthance New Member

Not even sure why you would want to update, current ROMs port 95% of the useful 2.1 apks to your phone as it is....and with root you have so many more options. I'm sure it will be easy to root and unroot your phones again in the comming months (not sure on the comming weeks) if you update. But the argument still stands....you rooted for customization, not apks from the "new" OS...why would you decide to unroot?
  14. Deano2423

Deano2423 New Member

Because it makes sense to me that a team working off of a 2.1 build that is optimized for the droid (rather than the nexus like it currently is) will have an easier time doing so and possibly allow them to do even more things...
  15. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Well I am so afraid, I am going to turn my phone off for a couple of weeks to play it safe:)

It was not a terribly long time from 2.0.1 to root and recover, but based on the way folks behave on this forum, anything less than 5 or 10 minutes is gonna have people screaming. Not too worried about it eventually happening, as even if there is dwidling support for droid development, some hacker somewhere is gonna want to be the first. That's just what they do.

I hope they get their act together at the other forum. A little bit of a meltdown over there in the last couple of days, and this seems like pretty piss poor timing with 2.1 about out. I hope and pray they can all get their heads around open source, and move forward.

Being relatively new to smart phones, I find all of this kinda exciting, in a sadistic kind of way....

Craig
  16. pthance

pthance New Member

I see your point, but I would venture a guess that most ROM teams have plans to make their upgrade to 2.1 seamless for those who decide to stay rooted at 2.0.1 in the meantime. Those same development teams will be working simultaneously on 2.0.1 ROMs and 2.1 ROMs, I doubt there will be a rash of new ROM developers out there as soon as the update comes out. It just seems more efficient to keep root all the way through instead of loosing it for an unknown period of time.