OFFICIAL: 2.1 to release this week on the Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick0984

Reaction score
I knew this was gonna happen. 2.1 I'll put money on it will be the last update the Droid gets. The N1 is their prize phone and the Droid is faded. This pretty evident by the lack of even all the 2.1 features.

I'm worried that this might indeed be true. Hopefully we are proven wrong though.

mills

Reaction score
Wow this has been a great week. Saints win. Android 2.1. Only thing to make it the best week ever would be flash and megan fox.

Being flashed by Megan Fox would do it for me...:)

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
hmmmm...do I unroot my Droid now?
I would....you may like it...or not : )

I think if you know so much about 2.1, i think you should tell us if were getting the version engadget talked about or the full 2.1 experience. =) No disrespect, it just seems by what you say in your posts, that you know more than most. Are you a beta tester or something? lol =)
hahahaha....

Well now that the cat is out of the bag I can tell you.

The deadline for the final build to be in was this Friday. So it was up in the air after Friday what would happen.

They could have released it on Monday or held it a couple more weeks if there was a problem which would have spilled into March.

My sources did not know how that would shake out only that it could be within a week or 3 depending on how solid the build was.

I don't know what features will be included right now. If I find out I'll post them.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ill unroot and update if its solid, the communit finds an exploit to root again, and flash isn't far behind. The speed my Droid has gained OC'd is hard to let go of :)

M

Matth3w

I knew this was gonna happen. 2.1 I'll put money on it will be the last update the Droid gets. The N1 is their prize phone and the Droid is faded. This pretty evident by the lack of even all the 2.1 features.
Wrong. They both have had one update since the N1 came out. They are on par. This will put the Droid ahead in the amount of updates. The N1 had problems from the moment it was released, so priority is going to be that phone for the time being. Also, for the time being, the N1 is only available on TMobile with only rumors of it being available for Verizon...so it's two different markets of customers. And with Verizon having more customers than TMobile Google will continue with the Droid because there is more money in that.

Even still...what updates do we really need from Google anyhow?

Reaction score
But cereal killer you posted pretty definitively that the update was coming in March. You know one of those "I know something you don't" posts with the words "Trust Me" used a lot, but it seems you were wrong :)

stuhasdroid

Reaction score
What he said

I agree.

The only question is, how much effort is required by MOT to make new point releases of Android available. This is much of what has allowed some critics to throw harsh words toward Android. That is the divergence of versions.

Hard to avoid though. Look at Linux. Everybody has their own kernel.

If you think about what you're saying it makes no sense. Android is open and will be upgraded as time goes on. The Droid is made by Motorola, the N1 by HTC/Google. Motorola will be free to upgrade if they want to (though they may not). Motorola is pretty motivated to keep the Droid updated.

M

Matth3w

The worst part of this update is having to see 4320957430579 more 2.1 threads pop up until it does come out...with debates on what it will include, rooting, blah blah. lol

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm amazed with how much complaining there is already and 2.1 isn't even out yet :icon_ nono2:

+1

How can you speculate on whats going to be included based on one article. Let's wait until it gets here. Celebrate, be happy. Then 3 or 4 days afterwards you can start complaining. That's the way it always works, why change now?:icon_ devil:

Neko

Reaction score
Do we have to uninstall anything thats 2.1 on the Droid before this update comes out?

Grey Hawk

Reaction score
Wrong. They both have had one update since the N1 came out. They are on par. This will put the Droid ahead in the amount of updates. The N1 had problems from the moment it was released, so priority is going to be that phone for the time being. Also, for the time being, the N1 is only available on TMobile with only rumors of it being available for Verizon...so it's two different markets of customers. And with Verizon having more customers than TMobile Google will continue with the Droid because there is more money in that.

Even still...what updates do we really need from Google anyhow?
Rumors of it being released? Get the facts man.

https://www.google.com/phone/choose?locale=en_US&s7e=

I'm saying once it hits Verizon, which it will... 2.2 or whatever they jump to wont be far off I bet. Will the Droid get that update? I doubt it.

M

Matth3w

Based on what exactly do you assume it will not get the update?

Status
Not open for further replies.