Official 2.1 and overclocking / rooting?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by movadoevo8, Mar 31, 2010.

1. movadoevo8

movadoevo8 New Member

Hey guys I have been wanting to Overclock my Motorola Droid phone to either 800mhz or 1ghz. I just haven't rooted or attempted to do it, because I have been waiting for the official 2.1 update.

Now that I have the Official 2.1 update I would like to overclock my phone to 1ghz. Is there a way to Root this Official 2.1 update already? The only reason I want to Root is mainly so I can download the overlock App from the Market place.

Can someone guide me torwards the right path on making this happen? Thanks in advance.

-marco
  2. mitchb2

mitchb2 New Member

Same here. I'll be watching this thread.

I'll wait for Droid Mod to make their 2.1 ROM and then I'm rooting.
  3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

That's what it's going to take to overclock. You can't do it unless you are rooted.
  4. RoLa

RoLa New Member

5. Skaggz

Skaggz New Member

In your case you should have rooted before you got the OTA update. You could already have a 2.1 ROM plus a custom kernal that allows you to overclock.

Now, you're going to have to wait until someone figures out how to gain root access to 2.1 and makes tbhe procedure avalible to the masses.

ps. You can't just download the app and overclock, you'll have to install a custom kernal. You can install these alone or with a custom ROM. Kinda makes waiting for the official 2.1 update not worthwhile.
  6. movadoevo8

movadoevo8 New Member

Is there a way to Root the Official 2.1? If there is and I root then I should be able to install the Overclock app from the Market Place no?
  7. FormerIphonePreuser

FormerIphonePreuser New Member

I'm glad I made that decision yesterday.:icon_ banana:
  8. mitchb2

mitchb2 New Member

I think you'll need to wait for the magic-makers to create the custom ROMs based on 2.1.

IMO it will be worth waiting because we'll have the nice step-by-step idiot-proof procedure to make it easy. Last thing I want to do is hose my phone.
  9. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Along with root'ing you'll need a kernal that supports overclocking as well.....Root nor 2.1 give you overclocking abilities. Root is just the first step.

So a "root" for 2.1, then a kernal for ESE81 that supports/allows overclocking and then of course the application to enable/config overclocking.
  10. movadoevo8

movadoevo8 New Member

Awesome! I understand how it works no. I will also wait for the 2.1 root and then I will root and install the 2nd step which is a new Kernel. Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

-marco
  11. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

didn't want to take the chance. So i rooted just a little while ago and went back with UD this time V9. Have to say it is great so far. Love it.

Also thinking that i may want the "official" 2.1 .......i downloaded it to my desktop. That way i can unroot anytime, get the 2.1 pushed to my phone and a "cleaner" custom ROM once they come out.

Droidmod says there may be difficulties with proper root access...... who knows.... we will see what our magic team comes does :) Gettem' BLACKDROID "YOU DA' MAN"
  12. Rakunvar

Rakunvar New Member

Doing the same :) oppsed and was in awe about the 2.1 no one seemed to know about and forced DLed it :( now I'm sad lol...
Search tags for this page

overclock to mb200 into 1ghz