OFFICAL OTA .zip Installation Guide Droid Razr & Razr Maxx

bigdaddynw5

Reaction score
I had the same type of issue when I tried to update. Got the whole status 7 error and everything. I used Matts utiliity 1.7. The new one. Did steps one, then two, and then wiped EVERYTHING and installed the zip from the SD card and it worked perfect. I think it had something to do with some left over files from either bootstrap or safestrap. Not sure but it is up and working great on my phone now.

What is EVERTHING? I only see "wipe cache partition" do you mean "wipe data/Factory reset?"

RazrBoy23

Reaction score
If I install ICS manually from this thread, will I still get updates from Verizon if they decide to send out ota installs? Or will I not be able to get Verizons ota because I will be rooted?

I want to install in manually but I don't want anything to happen to my phone and then im stuck.

philipscoggins

Reaction score
Well, I tried & soft bricked twice yesterday, so I tried following the youtube video today (W0017roid - YouTube) and I took his advice & let it whipe my phone...
I worked perfectly! First time!

Thanks for all the help
Philip

sampaasch

Reaction score
Well, went through all the steps and it didn't work. Got the error. Now it's stuck on the the Red logo.
Trying to quickly download Matt's DroidRazrUtility so that I can unbrick it.
Any ideas on how to turn the phone off?

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
sampaasch said:
Well, went through all the steps and it didn't work. Got the error. Now it's stuck on the the Red logo.

Seriously people, you are prob gonna soft brick at least once. I would already have Matt's utility ready to go before I started this process.

OP
rda990

rda990

Reaction score
What is EVERTHING? I only see "wipe cache partition" do you mean "wipe data/Factory reset?"

Yes "Wipe data/Factory reset" will wipe the whole phone completely.

If I install ICS manually from this thread, will I still get updates from Verizon if they decide to send out ota installs? Or will I not be able to get Verizons ota because I will be rooted?

I want to install in manually but I don't want anything to happen to my phone and then im stuck.

Yea you will, this is the official "OTA", even if you're rooted you will get prompted to update, but will have to unroot to actually install it.

Hold down the Power button and the Volume Down (-) button at the same time for about 10 seconds.

Telescopist

Reaction score
No rooting is needed. You need to be completely stock.

"Warning: You cant shave with your RAZR. I tried!!"

Which of course leads me to the following question ('cause I'm itchin' to do this) I am rooted. The first thing that Matt writes in the tutorial is that you have to unroot. But how? Does unrooting take place if one correctly follows the procedure that he lays out? Ie: STEPS TO UPDATE TO ICS:
1. Download the official OTA "Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip " file from above.
2. Place the file downloaded in step one into the ROOT of your EXTERNAL SD card. (DO NOT UNZIP THE FILE)
3. Turn off phone.
4. Go into recovery by pressing and holding the Volume Up (+), Volume Down (-), and Power button all three at the same time. (Press and hold all physical buttons.)
5. The menu will come up and select "Recovery".(Volume Down key to go down and Volume Up key to SELECT/ENTER Recovery.)
*The Android and Exclamation mark logos will come up*
6. Press both Volume Up (+) and the Volume Down (-) buttons at the same time. Release.

Etc. etc.?? Thanks.

doniago

Reaction score
You can use Voodoo (it's an app, the full name is something like Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper) to unroot, then install ICS, then use Voodoo to re-root.

sampaasch

Reaction score
Actually, I had to get into fast boot, and then it gave me an option to power down.
I will probably get the phone up and running on GB, and wait until tonight to try again. LOL

I deserve this for trying to update while at work. ;)

RazrBoy23

Reaction score
So unrooting will be a easy process to do if I i install this manual ics? I been waiting for the ota for a minute now so I would rather install in manually and if Verizon sends out updates I want to be able to receive them without any complications.

jlegros77

Reaction score
Whenever I run Matts utility, it gives me an error saying "the system cannot find the path specified"? What am I doing wrong here?

EagleOne

Reaction score
Whenever I run Matts utility, it gives me an error saying "the system cannot find the path specified"? What am I doing wrong here?

You need to unzip the utility and put it on the root of your C: drive.

jlegros77

Reaction score
You need to unzip the utility and put it on the root of your C: drive.

Now it says my device is locked...is that because I have a lock screen password?
Edit ***nevermind, I'm an idiot. Haha:blink:

Last edited: