OFFICAL OTA .zip Installation Guide Droid Razr & Razr Maxx

R3DBAND

Reaction score
The instructions clearly said "Make sure your phone is 100% charged before you do this!"
Some people dont read directions all the way through like myself, but someone who missed it might see this, no harm no foul.

MeridianSun

Reaction score
Ok, everyone!

I followed this tread for quite some time and tried various things going from the stock Android 2.3.6 - 6.12.181.XT912 on Droid Razr MAXX to update to ICS. I also received a softbrick after three attempts. For those of you that are concerned about softbricking your phone I recommend the following:

READ EVERYTHING BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEPS - YOU WILL FACTORY RESET YOUR PHONE DURING THIS PROCESS ERASING ALL DATA (INCLUDING THE INTERNAL STORAGE!!!)

Files needed (Links from my DropBox):

Motorola Drivers (If you don't have these already). They are also included below in Matt's Utility.

4.0.4 / 6.16.211.XT912 Update ----------> Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip

(Don't worry if the name of the .zip is 6.12.181, it's supposed to be that way, it means that's the VERSION you are coming from)

(Verification Hash)
File: Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip

CRC-32: 0732c03f
MD4: ac94d73a7d97f3105dde4456bf84513c
MD5: 79a1ee4a992eacd1d08f98dee5deebf7
SHA-1: 5193bebc18cf70939259ee52ebb1e33eb8fae84c

Droid Razr Utility 1.7 ---------------> DroidRazrUtility1.7forICS.zip (Thanks to mattlgroff Portal - DroidRzr.com)

(Verification Hash)
File: DroidRazrUtility1.7forICS.zip

CRC-32: 40adc704
MD4: 1c388f25e385d42e0b5ceba609b7dadd
MD5: 40dc068dc4b0dfba12c96a7d18c267e5
SHA-1: 61cbd07166a4d719a5413ca0c48e40f3bc06064f

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Backup all your data (I recommend TitaniumBackup but you will have to have a rooted phone for that program to work). Otherwise use a utility like MyBackup (found in the Google Play).

2. Make sure battery is AT LEAST 60% CHARGED, if not 100%.

3. Download the official OTA "Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip" file from above.

4. IMPORTANT! Place the file downloaded in step three into the ROOT of your EXTERNAL SD card. (DO NOT UNZIP THE FILE)

5. Turn off the phone.

6. Download the official OTA "DroidRazrUtility1.7forICS.zip" file from above.

7. Unzip all the files into the ROOT of your computer (C:\). (Thanks loudneon)

8. If you DO NOT already have the Motorola drivers installed, go into the "drivers" folder and select your OS type (64bit or 32bit). If you already have the drivers installed, continue.

9. Connect the phone to your computer.

10. Go into recovery by pressing and holding the Volume Up (+), Volume Down (-), and Power button all three at the same time. (Press and hold all physical buttons.)

11. With the Volume Down (-) key go down to AP Fastboot and select it by pressing the Volume Up (+) key. You are now in AP Fastboot mode.

12. From Step 4 files (Files extracted to C:\), double click on the "DroidRAZRUtility.bat" file.

13. Press any key to get started.

14. Select option 1 and follow the instructions.

15. Once it is done with the process, your phone will be 100% ready to flash the ICS update.

16. Power off your phone.

17. Boot the phone into recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up (+), Volume Down (-), and Power button all three at the same time. (Press and hold all physical buttons.)

18. The menu will come up and select "Recovery".(Volume Down key to go down and Volume Up key to SELECT/ENTER Recovery.)

*The Android and Exclamation mark logos will come up*

19. Press both Volume Up (+) and the Volume Down (-) buttons at the same time. Release.

20. With the Volume Down (-) button select "Wipe Data" and press the power button to select it.

21. Once complete, go to "Wipe CACHE partition" and press the Power button to select it.

22. VERY IMPORTANT! REBOOT YOUR PHONE again into recovery mode! - DO NOT BOOT UP THE PHONE TO THE OS!

23. WIPE THE CACHE AGAIN!

24. With the Volume Down (-) button go down to "Apply Update from SDCard" and press the Power button to select it.

25. Volume Down (-) go to the “Blur_Version.6.12.173.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip” and select it with the Power button. (This is the one we put in the External SD in Step 2.)

26. It will take a while to upgrade, PLEASE BE PATIENT

27. Once it is done, go to "Reboot system now."

28. Official ICS, Enjoy!!! =D

29. If Desired, run Matt's Utility again to root your phone & install OTA RootKeepr (Make sure USB debugging is enabled).

Once it's your first time starting ICS, it WILL take a while to load up, it is normal, it will also be "Optimizing applications" at first start up.

Thank you to rda990 for this thread!​

I followed these directions EXACTLY and cannot get it to load on my phone. It stops at:

E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Please help!!

tz34mb

Reaction score
Question: Just saw this on another post that someone lost their 4G after failing trying to install ICS. I have the same problem.

I tired the update on Saturday and it failed, so I followed th instructions and returned it to GingerBread. Ever since, i have only had 3G. That was the topic of the other post I saw.

He mentioned Verizon had him check his IMEI number and it said Unknown...so I checked mine and it also says unknown. Is there a way to correct this?

madfrenchie

Reaction score
Did you unroot your razr before using this method? if so theres your problem.

My phone was never rooted to begin with.

I ended up changing to a different computer, and bang it worked right away. ICS boots up no problem, but now the damn home key doesn't work. It vibrates when i hit it, but doesn't bring me to the home screen... wow.. does this phone just not like me???

Phreaker47

Reaction score
The best way to do do this update is to root and install the update using es file explorer and rom manager. It worked flawlessly first try.

I tried that but I still get error 7 (installation aborted), same as the original method.

I think it's because I've used root access to modify some internal files (ringtone folders, etc) and now the verification fails because of it. I'm pretty sure I'll have to to a full return to stock/reflash, even when OTA comes out.

EagleOne

Reaction score

I ended up changing to a different computer, and bang it worked right away. ICS boots up no problem, but now the damn home key doesn't work. It vibrates when i hit it, but doesn't bring me to the home screen... wow.. does this phone just not like me???

Same thing happend to me. Go to system settings --> Privacy --> Factory Reset, that fixed it for me. Yes you will lose everything on phone, so backup first.

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
I can't believe with all the issues people are having trying this, people are still trying this. Patience is a virtue.

EagleOne

Reaction score
I can't believe with all the issues people are having trying this, people are still trying this. Patience is a virtue.

Only took me about 40 minutes from start to finish, and man was it worth it!

I think if people took the time to read the entire first post and download everything first, 90% of these issues wouldn't be occurring.

Last edited:

danbuonagurio

Reaction score
mine has been stuck on the patching preinstall files line for about 10 minutes on my second install. any advice?

EagleOne

Reaction score
mine has been stuck on the patching preinstall files line for about 10 minutes on my second install. any advice?

Give it another 10 minutes tops, if it's still saying the same thing I would reboot and do a wipe using the 1.7 utility.

doniago

Reaction score
Thought I'd share some good news in the midst of all the bad...

Used Voodoo (the app, not the magic), to unroot.
Ran the update. Got the status 0 message or what-not. Got soft-bricked. D'oh.
Saw the directions about going back into Recovery and doing another double cache-wipe. Did so.
Re-ran the update. Completed successfully.
ICS up and running.
Re-rooted using Voodoo (the magic, not the app...kidding...)

Thank you very much to everyone who put this process together. I was especially happy not to have to wipe data at any point.

R3DBAND

Reaction score
Does my razr need to be rooted for option 1 on matts utility 1.7? I ask because every time I try it, it doesn't do anything. Im in AP fastboot mode, my razr is plugged in to a usb 2.0 port and I just got a new stock razr(because I messed up your method and im afraid to try again) but when i press enter it just says "the system cannot find the path specified" and the usual press any key when screen turns back on. Any suggestions? if not i'll just wait till the update is pushed to my phone :(

R3DBAND

Reaction score

I guess I need a different computer, im gonna just wait till the update comes to my phone, dont want to wait for another replacement(messed up terribly the first time I tried and bricked it with 30% battery)

merryvale

Reaction score
I got this to work and am on ICS....all is well. However: I did run the MD5 and my first download of ICS (Blue_Version...) did NOT match. I don't know if it matters, but when I downloaded a fresh copy, the numbers did match.

I forgot: A massive thank you to everyone responsible for this!

This is a much faster UI than previous. ICS is a very nice upgrade!!

Last edited:

EagleOne

Reaction score
Does my razr need to be rooted for option 1 on matts utility 1.7? I ask because every time I try it, it doesn't do anything. Im in AP fastboot mode, my razr is plugged in to a usb 2.0 port and I just got a new stock razr(because I messed up your method and im afraid to try again) but when i press enter it just says "the system cannot find the path specified" and the usual press any key when screen turns back on. Any suggestions? if not i'll just wait till the update is pushed to my phone :(

Remember that the utility needs to be unzipped fully AND on the root of your C: Drive for it to work correctly when you press a key.