OFFICAL OTA .zip Installation Guide Droid Razr & Razr Maxx

EagleOne

Reaction score
It's not frozen, I can still hit the volume buttons and toggle on and off the log. I just want to know from someone who had a successful boot to tell me how long they sat there.

The whole process was 15 minutes tops.

SpencerSharkey

Reaction score
Did it again... didn't work.
Going to try again I guess. I'm too far in to give up :)

kmss1

Reaction score
Nice job guys!

It appears that the most successful way of doing this is to do a full factory reset and then update from the zip file in the root of the sd card... Following a successful update you should then be able to root using Razr Utility v1.7, if you want to do so...

jacrx17

Reaction score
Ok, everyone!

I followed this tread for quite some time and tried various things going from the stock Android 2.3.6 - 6.12.181.XT912 on Droid Razr MAXX to update to ICS. I also received a softbrick after three attempts. For those of you that are concerned about softbricking your phone I recommend the following:

READ EVERYTHING BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEPS - YOU WILL FACTORY RESET YOUR PHONE DURING THIS PROCESS ERASING ALL DATA (INCLUDING THE INTERNAL STORAGE!!!)

Files needed (Links from my DropBox):

Motorola Drivers (If you don't have these already). They are also included below in Matt's Utility.

4.0.4 / 6.16.211.XT912 Update ----------> Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip

(Don't worry if the name of the .zip is 6.12.181, it's supposed to be that way, it means that's the VERSION you are coming from)

(Verification Hash)
File: Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip

CRC-32: 0732c03f
MD4: ac94d73a7d97f3105dde4456bf84513c
MD5: 79a1ee4a992eacd1d08f98dee5deebf7
SHA-1: 5193bebc18cf70939259ee52ebb1e33eb8fae84c

Droid Razr Utility 1.7 ---------------> DroidRazrUtility1.7forICS.zip (Thanks to mattlgroff Portal - DroidRzr.com)

(Verification Hash)
File: DroidRazrUtility1.7forICS.zip

CRC-32: 40adc704
MD4: 1c388f25e385d42e0b5ceba609b7dadd
MD5: 40dc068dc4b0dfba12c96a7d18c267e5
SHA-1: 61cbd07166a4d719a5413ca0c48e40f3bc06064f

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Backup all your data (I recommend TitaniumBackup but you will have to have a rooted phone for that program to work). Otherwise use a utility like MyBackup (found in the Google Play).

2. Make sure battery is AT LEAST 60% CHARGED, if not 100%.

3. Download the official OTA "Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip" file from above.

4. IMPORTANT! Place the file downloaded in step three into the ROOT of your EXTERNAL SD card. (DO NOT UNZIP THE FILE)

5. Turn off the phone.

6. Download the official OTA "DroidRazrUtility1.7forICS.zip" file from above.

7. Unzip all the files into the ROOT of your computer (C:\). (Thanks loudneon)

8. If you DO NOT already have the Motorola drivers installed, go into the "drivers" folder and select your OS type (64bit or 32bit). If you already have the drivers installed, continue.

9. Connect the phone to your computer.

10. Go into recovery by pressing and holding the Volume Up (+), Volume Down (-), and Power button all three at the same time. (Press and hold all physical buttons.)

11. With the Volume Down (-) key go down to AP Fastboot and select it by pressing the Volume Up (+) key. You are now in AP Fastboot mode.

12. From Step 4 files (Files extracted to C:\), double click on the "DroidRAZRUtility.bat" file.

13. Press any key to get started.

14. Select option 1 and follow the instructions.

15. Once it is done with the process, your phone will be 100% ready to flash the ICS update.

16. Power off your phone.

17. Boot the phone into recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up (+), Volume Down (-), and Power button all three at the same time. (Press and hold all physical buttons.)

18. The menu will come up and select "Recovery".(Volume Down key to go down and Volume Up key to SELECT/ENTER Recovery.)

*The Android and Exclamation mark logos will come up*

19. Press both Volume Up (+) and the Volume Down (-) buttons at the same time. Release.

20. With the Volume Down (-) button select "Wipe Data" and press the power button to select it.

21. Once complete, go to "Wipe CACHE partition" and press the Power button to select it.

22. VERY IMPORTANT! REBOOT YOUR PHONE again into recovery mode! - DO NOT BOOT UP THE PHONE TO THE OS!

23. WIPE THE CACHE AGAIN!

24. With the Volume Down (-) button go down to "Apply Update from SDCard" and press the Power button to select it.

25. Volume Down (-) go to the “Blur_Version.6.12.173.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip” and select it with the Power button. (This is the one we put in the External SD in Step 2.)

26. It will take a while to upgrade, PLEASE BE PATIENT

27. Once it is done, go to "Reboot system now."

28. Official ICS, Enjoy!!! =D

29. If Desired, run Matt's Utility again to root your phone & install OTA RootKeepr (Make sure USB debugging is enabled).

Once it's your first time starting ICS, it WILL take a while to load up, it is normal, it will also be "Optimizing applications" at first start up.

Thank you to rda990 for this thread!​

Worked Like a Charm the first time, I never had an issue, I follow every instruction as its listed. On Step #26 When You apply zip from sd just select it and put it down and do something else, if not you will become impatient

kmss1

Reaction score
Did you get yours working?

Haven't tried, but I've been monitoring this whole thread from very early on, and if you look at page 69 the guys had success with the factory wipe followed by updating from the zip file in the root of the SD, but be fore-warned; the factory wipe does just that, it sets everything to day 1 (it is a destructive restore, except for the SD Card)...

EagleOne

Reaction score
Haven't tried, but I've been monitoring this whole thread from very early on, and if you look at page 69 the guys had success with the factory wipe followed by updating from the zip file in the root of the SD, but be fore-warned; the factory wipe does just that, it sets everything to day 1 (it is a destructive restore, except for the SD Card)...

I have to agree with this. It didn't work for me at first but after doing a wipe with the utility, only then did the update work.

Rashiv

Reaction score
Unfortunately no it want charger I was in the same boat as you. You have two options 1 buy a factory motorola cable or 2 (the one i did) jump start your battery they have 2 youtube videos on how to to this. if you havent solved your problem hit me back for the links.

ViperX

Reaction score
Ok what methods are working best for installing ics? Seem likes a thousand different things are working for a thousand different people lol

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
ViperX said:
Ok what methods are working best for installing ics? Seem likes a thousand different things are working for a thousand different people lol

Use matts utilities first before anything. Option 1 only. Factory reset then proceed with sd card update. Works everytime flawlessly

ViperX

Reaction score
eddiekeyton said:
Use matts utilities first before anything. Option 1 only. Factory reset then proceed with sd card update. Works everytime flawlessly

Ok I have never done the utility thing but willing to give it a try. Motor and verizon taking to long. Is it pretty easy to do the utility?

SpencerSharkey

Reaction score
The utility is very simple to use, yeah. Make sure your Motorola drivers are installed though. If I'm not mistaken the utility has them bundled with it.

I went ahead and tried that myself. Install attempt #3!

Otacon1337

Reaction score
stupid thing soft-bricked me and recovery is taking forever to download. whats the best way to save battery life? when i use the 3 button press to shut it off it restarts.