off topic question - how are they using my debit card?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by jntdroid, Sep 29, 2010.

1. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +316
    So we've been out of town since last Thursday. Upon balancing our budget, bills, all of that last night, we discovered someone has been pulling $500/day for the last three days out of a nearby (45 min) Transfund ATM. The odd thing is that I've had the same debit card for 3+ years, have not had one reissued to me, and had it with me the whole time we were out of town. The bank and the fraud department both *said* there's no way to pull money out of the ATM without the card, even if they have the card # and pin #. It's not a huge deal as the bank is refunding the money and opening a claim/investigation. But I'm stumped as to how they're doing it.

Anybody have any clue or heard of this? Especially those of you in law enforcement and/or the hackers out there...

2. guidot

guidot Developer Relations
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +274
    Wow. Luckily you noticed! I certainly wouldn't have made my bills without $500.

Anyhoo all you need is the card number and pin and a card maker. Not too hard if you are a professional.

Just need to print the magnetic signature on a new card and stick it in the machine.

-Droid Does

3. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +316
    Oh we wouldn't have either, and it was $1,500 total. Hopefully one day that will be a negligible amount for us, but definitely not right now. ;) Our account is setup with a credit card linked to it, so if it ever goes over (my income fluctuates a lot, so this happens occasionally), it goes on that credit card and I don't get hit with an o/d charge. Then we just pay it off a couple of weeks later.

Don't you have to have more than just the #/pin to copy the magnetic signature?

4. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7+ 256gb
  5. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +316