off topic question - how are they using my debit card?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
So we've been out of town since last Thursday. Upon balancing our budget, bills, all of that last night, we discovered someone has been pulling $500/day for the last three days out of a nearby (45 min) Transfund ATM. The odd thing is that I've had the same debit card for 3+ years, have not had one reissued to me, and had it with me the whole time we were out of town. The bank and the fraud department both *said* there's no way to pull money out of the ATM without the card, even if they have the card # and pin #. It's not a huge deal as the bank is refunding the money and opening a claim/investigation. But I'm stumped as to how they're doing it.

Anybody have any clue or heard of this? Especially those of you in law enforcement and/or the hackers out there...

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow. Luckily you noticed! I certainly wouldn't have made my bills without $500.

Anyhoo all you need is the card number and pin and a card maker. Not too hard if you are a professional.

Just need to print the magnetic signature on a new card and stick it in the machine.

-Droid Does

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh we wouldn't have either, and it was $1,500 total. Hopefully one day that will be a negligible amount for us, but definitely not right now. ;) Our account is setup with a credit card linked to it, so if it ever goes over (my income fluctuates a lot, so this happens occasionally), it goes on that credit card and I don't get hit with an o/d charge. Then we just pay it off a couple of weeks later.

Don't you have to have more than just the #/pin to copy the magnetic signature?