[Off Topic] Favorite Linux Distros?

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by tcyree2202, Mar 30, 2011.

1. tcyree2202

tcyree2202 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a huge Linux/Open source software fan, for a few reasons. I don't know how to code, nor do I have any knowledge of network security. Even though I've been using Linux for a couple years, I still have only a basic knowledge of the inner workings, i.e. command line tools and the like. However, the philosophy behind open source is right up my alley, so to speak. I'm a firm believer that technology shouldn't be held back by large corporations whose first and foremost motive is profit. With that said, if you use Linux, feel free to post your favorite distro, why you like it, or any other open source software you find helpful.

Personally, I use openSUSE. In my own experience, openSUSE does KDE extremely well. I find YaST to be one of the best administrative tools/graphical package managers out there. It also seems to have excellent tools for network security/administration, though I've never had a need to make use of those them. The Packman repositories are another great resource. There's just so much software! :icon_ banana: Only issues I ever seem to have, with any distro, is my graphics card apparently hates compositing, especially compiz. It plays ok with kwin, but sometimes still crashes. I may end up switching to the nouveau driver, because it seems more stable than the official nvidia drivers.

I've used Fedora, Ubuntu, Linux Mint (Ubuntu base) in the past, and I've played around with other distros in Virtualbox, usually when I'm bored. If you haven't tried Linux Mint, I highly recommend it over its Ubuntu base. Totally community supported, and it managed to work it's way up to number 3 or 4 on DistroWatch, I think.

Feel free to post links and/or screenshots. :cool:

2. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    I've used a few different ones over the years - current favorite is Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit ...

3. rollo69

rollo69 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried a few distro's myself, linux mint included. I was under the impression that Ubuntu and the rest of the *buntu family lol are all Debian based distros.

I am a Slacker when it comes to using a linux distro, Slackware 13. Also with Linux there is virtually no worries about threats like virus's or others, plus linux is sooo stable with no limits as to watch you can do with your system. The amount open source software is crazy. When I do have to use window$ OS, all the software I use is open source software (i.e. Firefox,Thunderbird, Gimp, OpenOffice etc.). From what I've heard, the notorious IPhone uses a Linux kernel, imagine that.

You can't beat the stability and limitlessness of the Penguin.!!

That's the main reason for my choice in Android based phones.

4. tcyree2202

tcyree2202 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sweet! Thanks for sharing, Chevy. I like Ubuntu, too, but I always seem to break something when I use it, lol. But it is what got me interested in Linux originally. :)

5. tcyree2202

tcyree2202 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They are in fact all Debian based, you're right there. :) Slackware is one I haven't tried yet. I'll have to give that one a shot!

6. Quicksilver7714

Quicksilver7714 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Ubuntu is great. I just throw what ever interests me on to a flash drive and run it through Quem where ever I go. ;)

7. tcyree2202

tcyree2202 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ubuntu is great. It's one I always recommend when someone new shows an interest in linux. :)

8. Shadowsniper789

Shadowsniper789 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use Arch Linux. I would use Gentoo, but I'm too lazy to compile my own kernel.

9. tzenda

tzenda New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i started with debian many years ago, and am now using ubuntu 10.04

10. tcyree2202

tcyree2202 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    One day I'll get around to learning how to compile a kernel. For now, I'm too lazy as well. :)

11. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Crunchbang (#!) is my favorite. It's Debian-based, and runs much of the same software as Ubuntu. Very light, very stable. I have an installation on a bootable 1gb USB drive, which I've used countless times to rescue friends' Windows machines from viruses and disk errors. What I like the best is that the majority of the GUI is accessible through keyboard shortcuts. Makes navigation very quick and easy. Take a look, it's a lot of fun :)

12. Travis798

Travis798 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I rarely run Linux much anymore but my favorite over the past several years has been PCLinuxOS. I'm planning on taking a few distro's for a spin before long though. I don't do much with computers anymore really so I like PCLOS because everything works right out of the box, and using synaptic to manage packages is a cake walk.

Search tags for this page
best linux distro screenshots
distribuiã§ã£o linux screenshot

linux distros