Odd question

db4

Reaction score
If you have two phones (droid raz maxx) can you use one SIM card for both, transferring from one to another...if one died

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yes... as long as the simcards are the same size. If you look at the Bionic sim card... it's huge and wont fit into a razr or maxx. However the mini sim cards will, and all you have to do is transfer your sim card from phone to phone. I was shown this when i activated my maxx at the vzw store yesterday. We swapped the sim from a razr to my maxx and back again. And it worked just fine.

The sales rep couldve done something to make the card have the ability to do this for demonstration purposes. But I'm pretty sure he didn't. Just make sure the new phone is good to go for you and not holding someone elses profile data. If so, u need to do a reset. Hope this helps??

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
D

db4

Reaction score
Thank you very much....I was hoping you did not need to call and activate the phone for you own SIM card....the wife has not even turned her's own and is using something else.
So I can when I want, just add my SIM card and power up?

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Thank you very much....I was hoping you did not need to call and activate the phone for you own SIM card....the wife has not even turned her's own and is using something else.

No problem

OP
D

db4

Reaction score
Cool the wife does not like it and I have two now ...not bad..:p

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
That happened to me with my wife before on Verizon but be sure and activate both phones or you will get builder bor the phones total cost.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

The information provided by 94lt1 is correct. The SIM card can be moved from phone to phone at will, and there is no longer the process of activating the phone with devices that take a SIM card. So the phone your wife never turned on likely has a SIM card included with it. That SIM is active and has a phone number, unless you bought the phone without an activation. You can simply keep that card but as you said, she is using another phone, so I would question whether the phone she is using is a smart phone and if so, did you move the phone number on the SIM for her MAXX to the phone she is using or is she on another phone and plan?

The reason is if the second MAXX has an active phone number, it will also have an active data plan and you will be paying for both and not using them. If you shut down that active plan and number, you will be billed for the phone's full retail price.

If you are within the 14 day no-hassle return period, I'd take the second phone back and get the credit, shut down the phone number (if it's not the one the wife is using), and have the data plan turned off and credited retroactive to activation date. In other words, make sure you don't have 3 phone numbers and 3 data plans active for only 2 phones if they are both smart phones, or 3 phone numbers and 2 data plans for only one smart phone and one non-smart phone.

OP
D

db4

Reaction score
My apology for not being a bit more if not a lot more clear...

The second phone has NO number attached to it nor a billing plan
The wife has her own number and this phone was not ordered against that
I dumped my DII because of major email issues, that is why I ended up with the Maxx
I just ordered two so as to surprise her.......now I have two Maxx's :blink:
The second one I wanted to (if mine died or ) then just plug in my SIM card and turn on, hoping all the important data was on the card not the phone
keep my calling plan and change nothing except the devise itself.

H3Dude

Reaction score

I dumped my DII because of major email issues, that is why I ended up with the Maxx
The second one I wanted to (if mine died or ) then just plug in my SIM card and turn on, hoping all the important data was on the card not the phone

You ordered an extra just in case? Who does that?

OP
D

db4

Reaction score
No I ordered two one for wife and one for me.....she does not like it and I now have two

H3Dude

Reaction score
The second one I wanted to (if mine died or ) then just plug in my SIM card and turn on, hoping all the important data was on the card

I was refering this about buying an extra. I would have sent back or sold the other one. They are going for nearly $600 on eBay. But if you can afford go for it. Also, I would not rely on the sim card keeping all your important info, if that is what you were referring to.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Three apps I use...

Call logs backup and restore, SMS backup and restore, both by Ritesh and self explanatory, and AppMonster for backing up all apps to SD. I do this before any updates or factory restore.

Contacts should be backed up and restored by Google. Any other personal files can be moved to SD manually, or you can use Titanium Backup to accomplish that task in one proces. There are others but those are my experiences and I've been happy with the results.