Odd Battery Life at Night

Cwagmire

Reaction score
*note: Droid 2 using Liberty 1.5*

The past two nights, I have gone to bed with 40-50% battery left. I wake up 9 hours later and my phone is completely dead. I've been panicking because I've heard it's very bad for your phone's battery to completely discharge.

I turn off my Wifi and Data Sync before bed so none of that should be draining it.

I have noticed the past week that my phone has been reading zero bars of phone service. Usually in my apartment, I only get 1 or 2 (must be what the building is made out of because when I walk outside I immediately get 4-5 bars.

My phone never says "searching for service" which I know drains the battery pretty quickly, but I'm wondering if zero bars is still pretty bad for service.

Seems pretty normal during the day though. After 2 hours, I'm at 90% with sending a few texts and downloading/updating apps.

I will be wiping/reflashing when I have the time this week just wanted to post this to see if anyone had an idea what could be the culprit.

EDIT: Last night, I went to bed with it at 40% at around 11:30 p.m. and when I awoke at 5:45 a.m., my phone was at 20%.

This morning I reflashed Liberty. I seemed to pick up more signal than I had before, but there are still some bouts of zero bars. Before reflashing, I had been using Vanilla Froyo theme for awhile, but for tonight's test, I'll be sticking with the Yellow Gingerbread default.

stevmo

Reaction score
I use my wifi connection when at home with 4-5% loss in 8 hr. sleep time. In liberty toolbox you can set wifi scan interval up to 3 minutes,I am currently using 90 sec. That might help you, thats my startoff suggestion. Peace

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
Cwagmire

Cwagmire

Reaction score
I use my wifi connection when at home with 4-5% loss in 8 hr. sleep time. In liberty toolbox you can set wifi scan interval up to 3 minutes,I am currently using 90 sec. That might help you, thats my startoff suggestion. Peace

So would it be better to have Wifi on during sleep than to have it off?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

stevmo

Reaction score
From my reading on the forums and my experience for sure. Plus what your original post said your not getting a good connection in your building.wifi connect will help try it and post back your results.

stevmo

Reaction score
I would also check my battery stats before and after bed. This may tell you the drain culprit if it is not the 3g

OP
Cwagmire

Cwagmire

Reaction score
I would also check my battery stats before and after bed. This may tell you the drain culprit if it is not the 3g

That's been the issue though is that since my phone completely dies, the battery stats are wiped since it starts fresh after a reboot/unplug from charger.

However, to avoid this, I will make an alarm to wake up earlier than usual. Even though it was already dead on me by 8 a.m. this morning. :(

EDIT: Didn't see your second post at first. I'll definitely be sure to leave Wifi on this time, but data sync off should be okay right?

whezzel

Reaction score
I had this problem with my eris on a few rms and my driod 2 on liberty 1.5. Check ur battery stats before u gggo to bd when u still have battery life and see if u have cell standby using any battery. If so click on that and it should say "time without a signal 50%" (usually 50% for me) if u have this problem just turn on airplane mode and put ur phone to sleep for about a minute then u can turn airplane mode off and it should fix ur problem atleast untill u reboot. Then ull have to do the same thing. Give it a try if u have to time without signal bug

OP
Cwagmire

Cwagmire

Reaction score
I had this problem with my eris on a few rms and my driod 2 on liberty 1.5. Check ur battery stats before u gggo to bd when u still have battery life and see if u have cell standby using any battery. If so click on that and it should say "time without a signal 50%" (usually 50% for me) if u have this problem just turn on airplane mode and put ur phone to sleep for about a minute then u can turn airplane mode off and it should fix ur problem atleast untill u reboot. Then ull have to do the same thing. Give it a try if u have to time without signal bug

"Time Without Signal" 53% for me. So you're saying my no service might be a bug?

I appreciate your help, but honestly didn't understand parts of your post. :(

whezzel

Reaction score
Go to ur settings>about phone>battery usage and see if u have something called cell standby using any battery

OP
Cwagmire

Cwagmire

Reaction score
Go to ur settings>about phone>battery usage and see if u have something called cell standby using any battery

Yah, I got that part. Now my Time without signal is 38% since I was up on campus earlier this evening.

I was just seeing if you could elaborate on this being a "bug."

whezzel

Reaction score
Next time I reboot my phone ill post a screen shot of what I'm talkin about. But every time I turn on my phone whether I have a signal or not my batter stats say that I have 50% time with out signal. Never fails me. And since the phone thinks it has no signal even tho it does it still spends half its time searching for a signal thus killing ur battery. I don't know y but if u put it in airplane mode then turn airplane mode off it temporarily fixes the bug until next reboot

OP
Cwagmire

Cwagmire

Reaction score
Next time I reboot my phone ill post a screen shot of what I'm talkin about. But every time I turn on my phone whether I have a signal or not my batter stats say that I have 50% time with out signal. Never fails me. And since the phone thinks it has no signal even tho it does it still spends half its time searching for a signal thus killing ur battery. I don't know y but if u put it in airplane mode then turn airplane mode off it temporarily fixes the bug until next reboot

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. No need to post a picture unless you want to if it might assist others with similar issues.

The airplane mode trick only works for me for about a minute or two.

While I have no bars, my phone doesn't say searching for service.

OP
Cwagmire

Cwagmire

Reaction score
I've noticed my signal has gone back to normal with 2.0.1 so it was either the new upgrade or wiping data and flashing 2.0.1. Since I had almost zero issues with 1.5 for a good while, I'm gonna guess wiping data did the trick.

illmatic636

Reaction score
If you want to take it a step further, contact Verizon and explain you have terrible signal were you live. They may put a cell tower expander in your area to improve signal quality. But if the update fixed it, then great! dancedroid