1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Odd 2.1 update problem

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Steveindajeep, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Steveindajeep

Steveindajeep New Member

I installed 2.1 then rooted it. My phone suddenly wants to install the 2.1 update even though that is what I running.

Tried removing the update.zip from the sdcard, renaming both otacerts.zips I found....but it still wants me to restart to install the update.

I have tried going into sprecovery and allowing and installing the update but it doesnt block it. When i restart the phone it tells me to restart again to install the update.

Im running SPRecovery 0.99.3b, Adamz SMoked Glass 6.0 btw

Any ideas?
  2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

When you install with SPR after you select install there are two additional options

Allow update.zip installation. Don't forget this step. If you do, you will get "installation blocked" or something to that effect. This is the feature that prevents OTA updates from being able to be installed to your phone. In the future, if you want to accept a Google update for you phone you will need to download the file, then boot into this menu, and hit "allow update.zip installation" or it won't work.

Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated).

Do you remember doing both?

Mike
  3. Steveindajeep

Steveindajeep New Member

yes I allowed it and installed it from SPrecovery. It runs the update, says it's finished, I then reboot and go to check the updates again but it says I need to restart to install the update.
  4. mwhartman

I'm not clear on the "and go to check the updates again". What updates are you looking for?
  5. Steveindajeep

Steveindajeep New Member

the "system updates" under "About Phone"

It tells me I need to restart my phone to apply the 2.1 update (even though I am running 2.1). Shouldnt it tell me my phone is up to date? Should I even worry about this at all?
  6. mwhartman

I rooted my phone in February when it had the 2.0.1 OS. Since rooting blocked the OTA updates, I've never received an update from VZW so I'm not sure what to advise. My sense, however, is that if you phone is working keep going. I'm not positive but I believe that to install OTA updates, like applications, you need to allow. If you receive an update do not install.

Hopefully, someone who has received and allowed an OTA will weigh in.

Mike
  7. Steveindajeep

Steveindajeep New Member

This happened once before when I had 2.0.1 and 2.1 came out. But that just kept trying to download it over and over again and wasting battery. Hopefully I have no ill effects from this. Doesn't seem to be downloading over and over again so I think I should be alright.
  8. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    As much as you may not want to, try flashing a different ROM. Most of the ROMs available block any OTA. I know that Cyanogen and Team Chaos both block the OTA's. See if when you flash a new ROM and you do a wipe data and cache if that does not fix the issue.
  9. Steveindajeep

Steveindajeep New Member

Well Smoked glass is suppose to as well.

If I see any issue that affect battery, loosing root, etc. I will go to Froyo w/ an OC'ed kernel. Im gonna wait a little and see if anything happens.