Occasional Reboots

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by Clutch13, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Clutch13

Clutch13 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am running SS 5.0 with one of Chevy's 1.2Ghz low voltage kernels (the kernel I ran on SS 4.96 with no issues) on a Motorola Droid 1. I would first like to say I LOVE the Rom and when I get a chance will be sending a few bucks your way (I'm a poor college student so I don't have much to spare unfortunately!). I've never had issues with any of your Roms before but with 5.0 I'm running into an occasional reboot if I go to turn on the screen and turn it off quickly, or when I bump the power button and the screen begins to light up and I then push it again to turn the screen off. My phone then goes black and reboots probably 50% of the times that this happens, which this last time sent me into a boot loop. I pulled the battery and replaced it, and then powered it up, which looped once before it booted completely. I admit I haven't tried another kernel yet, but I wasn't sure if this was the issue since I've used this kernel with 4.96 and never had this problem. Like I said, this isn't a common thing, and when I do a normal reboot or power up I don't get a loop, but when this happens I tend to. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem, and what I should try to resolve it. My first guess is try a different (possibly slower) kernel and see my results, but I thought I would ask first before trying that. Sorry for the long post and thanks for any responses!!

2. s0m3f00l

s0m3f00l Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This does not happen to me. Maybe something else is causing this. What else is running on your phone at the time of the reboot?

3. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same problem (random reboots) different circumstances

Another random reboot scenario for your reading pleasure. I have a D1 running your 1.2GHz ULV kernel and, of course, SS5.0. If I use my droid normally for a period of time (at least a few hours) and then use Google Navigation or CoPilot Live, about 30 minutes into the trip the phone will completely reboot. After which, it works fine. If I reboot immediately before running a navigation function, this doesn't happen. If I don't reboot and use an app that accesses the GPS (other than a navigation app,) I don't get reboots. To clarify this a bit, I have an app called Car Home (not the built-in google app) that displays your current road name, your speed and the weather in your area. I have also tried this with GPS Status and do not get reboots, just with navigation apps. Other than in this very specific situation, I have had zero reboots with this ROM/kernel combination. I have reflashed and reinstalled apps, but the issue persists. Its not a biggie for me, because I just reboot before starting a navigation app.

Anybody have any ideas?

BigRedGonzo

4. erox76

erox76 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i too have a droid 1 and am running ss5.0 with an ulv 1.1 ghz kernal and have not had any reboots like your describing...aaah just now seeing your problem go to this link it has the new gingerbread kernals by chevy Index of /kernels-021611/any

5. erox76

erox76 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    first do you have compache (this has been known to cause reboots) enabled? its under options in chevyno1 tools. have you run fix permissions?

6. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    I need clarification on what you are calling a 'reboot' - is it a HARD reboot that goes to the 'M', or a SOFT reboot that goes to the bootanimation? If the latter - 5.01 should take care of the MAJORITY of the time that happens ...

7. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this happen with compache both enabled and disabled. My next test is to uninstall other location based apps, one at a time, to see it one of them may be accessing the GPS at the same time and thus causing issues. The problem is that a reboot fixes the issue and the other apps that access location are still there, so I doubt this will lead anywhere, but I'm out of ideas for troubleshooting. I have also thought about trying a different kernel, but just the circumstances around the reboot leads me away from thinking that the kernel is the culprit. Of course, stranger things have happened. Thanks for the reply though, if you think of anything else to try, let me know.

BigRedGonzo

8. Clutch13

Clutch13 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Chevy. It is a soft reboot just to the bootanimation, and loops there until I pull the battery. After that it usually boots fine. So if 5.01 is likely to resolve this should I just avoid the situation in the mean time?

9. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Well the soft reboot should not CONTINUE to loop at the bootanimation - I have not had that particular issue myself, not even once ...

10. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is a Hard reboot.

BigRedGonzo

11. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Since you are running ULV - I would suggest stepping up to an LV kernel and see if that clears it up ...

12. Kickbut101

Kickbut101 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have the exact same problems he's having, running 5.0, having soft restarts, and I changed kernals from ulv (which worked on 4.96) to lv, and still having the problem. I dunno whats up, but I like your rom too much to try any others right now so I'll just suck it up