Occasional issue with screen not turning on...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by gszeman, Apr 20, 2010.

1. gszeman

gszeman New Member

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone else has had or heard about this issue. I went to grab my phone which was on the table next to me, I hit the lock button on top and nothing happened...the LED was flashing, so I know I had a message...but the screen would not come on. I tried several times for varying lengths of time to no avail. Finally I did a battery pull and it powered up fine. This happened one or two times previously, the first time I think was a bit different because I could see the backlight on, but the screen wouldn't come on.

I'm running Bugless Beast 0.9 with Chevy's 1.2 kernel, and a MM clean black theme.

I didn't notice the power level at the time of the previous occurances, but this time power was very low, about 20%. I do have SetCPU set up to drop to 550MHz max and 125MHz min when battery life is under 30%...but that shouldn't cause the screen to not come on...right?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Glenn
  2. serveitup911

serveitup911 New Member

Common problem. Happens to me quite often. I have been searching for the cause. Happened on DroidMod 1.0, Smoked Glass 6.0.1, and Simply Stunning 2.2 ROMs. Happened on DroidMod, AdamZ, and ChevyNo1 kernels. Happened when I was stock also. Running CyanogenMod the past day with a Bekit kernel, and it hasn't happened yet, but it still could.

I have been able to narrow the problem down somewhat:
    It happens more when the phone is warm - it has happened a few times on hot days when I leave the phone sleeping in my tennis bag or golf bag.
    It happens more during extended sleep times (a couple hours).
    It has never happened under cool temperatures or short sleeps.
  3. rcfx

rcfx New Member

This has happened to me a few times too, I'm running DM 1.0 and I've heard it happens to a lot of people that are rooted. It's a little nerve racking the first few times it does it! I wondered if it was maybe the power button cause it gets pushed about a hundred times a day.
  4. serveitup911

serveitup911 New Member

But it has happened to me while stock, and it has happened to my dad, who is running stock.
    I thought it might just be the power button at first, but the phone won't wake with a slide open or keyboard button press either.
  5. voydas

voydas New Member

same problem here.
  6. gszeman

gszeman New Member

Alright...so I guess I feel a little better knowing that it isn't just me.

When it happened the last time my phone had only been asleep for about 30 minutes...and I don't think it was running hot, but I guess it could have been. I'm in Michigan...so I know it was outside heat doing anything :p

I'll keep my eyes open now, and see if we can find any common issue when it occurs.

Thanks for the replies,
    Glenn
  7. goinskiing

goinskiing New Member

I've had the same issue with Ultimate Droid, Succulent Desire, BB, and stock.
  8. voydas

voydas New Member

how do you guys fix? i gotta battery pull.
  9. gszeman

gszeman New Member

That's the only way I've been able to fix it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  10. Loyrl

Loyrl Member

Mine does this every once in a while, I just wait a few minutes and try again and it turns on fine. Chevy lv5s 1.0 and simply stunning 2.# and 3.#s.
  11. The Rick

The Rick New Member

It happened to me a ton and I think i isolated it to a preparing SD card error. I have tried a new setup and it hasn't happened for 5 days, steps I took:
    1. installed UD10 from rom manager
    2. installed 1200mhz p3droid kernal
    3. did apps2sd which formatted the card

This has solved both the preparing sd card issue which would happen after I unplugged the phone after a file transfer. If it got stuck doing this, it would never turn the screen back on once it went to sleep.
  12. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    This happened to me all the time when I was stock. I can't tell you how many calls I missed because the screen would not come on or it would not unlock. Since I rooted last week it has not happened. But I would be real curious if someone figures out why this is happening.
  13. wils0645

wils0645 New Member

This happens to me as well. Unfortunately, one time I had Golf Card running while playing a round and the screen didn't come on. I did a battery pull and all my Golf Card data was lost. All previous rounds, courses and settings were gone. I remember that the phone was a little warm and my phone was in sleep for a while. It sucked.