OC concerns and questions.

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by suliman, Aug 15, 2010.

1. suliman

suliman New Member

i just installed the 1250 low voltage kernel on my moto droid and i am using set cpu to regulate my cpu speed. currently my profiles are set to:

temp > 40.8C 550-250
    battery< 31% 550-250
    charging/full 1250-250
    battery < 100% 1250-250
    Screen off 250-250

I notice that my cpu speed jumps from 250 to 1250 all the time even if im just scrolling between homescreens. And it seems that basically any action i take invokes the cpu to go to its limits in either extreme. Im not sure if its just the say set cpu works or what but i am a bit concerned as to any kind of problems that may occur with the setup i have now. I dont really know what kind of profiles i should be using so it was really just a shot in the dark with those. Anyway, im just wondering if i can damage my phone by overclocking it this high and what would be to optimal profile settings to get the most battery life, while retaining the most functionality?

edit: also is there any app that displays your current cpu speed in the status bar? that would be sweet.
  2. jeston

jeston Member

The only thing I see that should be changed is your screen off max. From what I understand 400 should be the lowest it should be set, otherwise it takes it a while to wake up when someone calls. Besides that it looks more or less fine to me though I am by no means an expert or even consider myself experienced in this area as I just joined the custom ROM/OC club recently myself.

Sent from my droid using Tapatalk
  3. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Are you basing this on what the widget says? I don't think the widget can really be counted on to give you a real time estimate of how the processor is scaling. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Oh, and don't have more than one instance of that widget anywhere. At least that's what the author recommends. I don't use the widget because I have often heard it can add to overall slowdown on the phone.
  4. suliman

suliman New Member

yeah well thats why im wondering if there is a more accurate way to determine how it is scaling or if anyone just knew the logistics of it. Im wondering if the profile i have set for charging is correct because my phone ran hot and had to uc itself when i was using dolphinhd while it was plugged in.
  5. harrellj

harrellj New Member

I'd recommend having the charging profile also be a slower clock speed to prevent overheating. There's an OC101 thread on the boards that is really useful.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  6. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/47871-overclocking-101-a.html
    ^More info on OCing your Droid than you ever wanted. That thread also covers the Advanced settings, which control how often SetCPU checks to see if it should change speed and at what load % (how hard your CPU is working) to scale up.

Generaly speaking, I like to have 3 'blocks' of profiles.

The first one is the temperature failsafe. You have that covered.
    Second is the sleep/charge profiles. As said, you will want to have your MAX scaled down (I use 800Mhz) when charging via AC. You can probably get away with full speed when USB charging.
    Thirdly I set up the battery % profiles.

The way your currently setup the device will never sleep because you've told it that its more important to run 1250/250 whenever the battery registers below 100% than to go to sleep mode. I usually set sleep mode to be second in priority only to the temperature profiles. Also bear in mind that there really inst a need to set a <100% profile, thats what the sliders on the main page are for. Your <31% profile is the only one needed.