OC and Battery life

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by 42o, Feb 8, 2010.

1. 42o

42o New Member

So im thinking of rooting and overclocking my droid to 800mhz. Did you guys notice a significant drain when you were actual using your phone? I know when its idle you can set it do under clock the processer.
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

You can control this pretty much by setting up your profiles in SetCPU. This will have the phone idol at a much lower rate thus saving battery. If we didn't have that then yes, it would use more battery.

Saturday was my first day of using it without recharging and I would say that under my "normal" use battery charge time appeared to be about the same. If I started using it more I'd see a drop but once idol it settled down quickly.
  3. hydrogenman

hydrogenman New Member

it drains fast under heavy use, but under light use (aka, a lot of idle time) it actually seems to last longer

I'm running an OC at 800, but my idle profile's a lot lower
  4. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

I'm running Bugless Beast 7.4 at 950/250 with my Setcpu profiles all being pretty aggressive. I'm also using Juice Defender to turn off some services when not needed. Actually I just downloaded Juice Defender yesterday. So I do not yet have a good feel for it's impact on my battery, but I'm hopeful. Anyway, my battery certainly lasts as long as it did before overclocking and it may actually be a little better. I makes it to bedtime everyday and that is all I care about as I charge it overnight.
  5. lockdownx1x

lockdownx1x New Member

You mean "Idle" not Idol.

OP, I mostly run at 550Mhz for most of the day and bump it to 800Mhz when I am tethering and playing a game. Runs smooth as butter but battery seems to drain about 15-20% faster.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
Search tags for this page

why does the droid 2 use so much power in idle