Obvious batt save.....

Xf53vfs3

Reaction score
Is it just me or does going into thebattery manager and setting the custom setting to disable data after 15 or 30 min save a ridiculous amount of battery?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Certainly not just you. Disabling data and sync have been suggested countless times as ways to save battery.

OP
X

Xf53vfs3

Reaction score
yeah i just went from ending the school day at 50% to ending it at 90%

cece5702

Reaction score
Saving Battery?

How do you go into battery manager? What does disabling the data do to the phone? I would love to save some of my battery.
Is it just me or does going into thebattery manager and setting the custom setting to disable data after 15 or 30 min save a ridiculous amount of battery?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

dcook12

Reaction score
How do you do this and is it harmful to the Droid?
Certainly not just you. Disabling data and sync have been suggested countless times as ways to save battery.

I have a Droid 1, so your settings options might be a little different, but on my phone, I tap on options > settings > accounts and sync (where your mail accounts etc are). At the top is an option "Backround Data". Unclick that. What it does you'll see is turn off sync on all of your accounts. Some apps like the market need it turned back on, but a message will come up telling you that..Turn it back on to run the app...When you do turn it back on, there might seem like some lag, but just let it sit for a minute because it also turns on sync to you account, so it is syncing your mail, facebook or whatever you have set up. Make sure you turn it back off to get the battery savings it gives you. The only thing it does is stop automatically syncing your mail accounts. You can sync them manually if you need you mail updated, but is worth the savings. There are several free apps on the market that do the same thing and I haven't checked them all out, but they seem to be just fancy apps that do the same thing you can do manually..but like I said I haven't tried any of them, so there might be some other options for battery saving in the app...But just unclicking backround data like I explained about does save a ton of battery usage. It just depends on your personal situation/work situation on how often you need your accounts synced. Hope this is a good and accurate description. Anyone feel free to to correct me if I missed anything...

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Settings/Accounts & Sync/
In there you'll find two checkboxes:
Background Data & Auto-sync

I leave background data on and auto-sync off. Auto-sync is what causes apps to look for new data every x number of minutes.

cece5702

Reaction score
Ok if I do this than no emails will be sent to my phone right?

I leave background data on and auto-sync off. Auto-sync is what causes apps to look for new data every x number of minutes.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

dcook12

Reaction score

Thanks..looks like I had it backwards, but noticed quite a difference so thought I had the right one turned off. I just set it to what you said above and will see if I see more bat life than the way I had it set. Thanks for clearing that up..

cece5702

Reaction score
No emails will push to my phone? Hmmmmm!

I have a Droid 1, so your settings options might be a little different, but on my phone, I tap on options > settings > accounts and sync (where your mail accounts etc are). At the top is an option "Backround Data". Unclick that. What it does you'll see is turn off sync on all of your accounts. Some apps like the market need it turned back on, but a message will come up telling you that..Turn it back on to run the app...When you do turn it back on, there might seem like some lag, but just let it sit for a minute because it also turns on sync to you account, so it is syncing your mail, facebook or whatever you have set up. Make sure you turn it back off to get the battery savings it gives you. The only thing it does is stop automatically syncing your mail accounts. You can sync them manually if you need you mail updated, but is worth the savings. There are several free apps on the market that do the same thing and I haven't checked them all out, but they seem to be just fancy apps that do the same thing you can do manually..but like I said I haven't tried any of them, so there might be some other options for battery saving in the app...But just unclicking backround data like I explained about does save a ton of battery usage. It just depends on your personal situation/work situation on how often you need your accounts synced. Hope this is a good and accurate description. Anyone feel free to to correct me if I missed anything...

dcook12

Reaction score

Just go in and turn sync back on, and it will push all the emails to you. It is just not set to do it automatically which is what uses so much battery...

cece5702

Reaction score
Ok ill try it thanks! :)

Just go in and turn sync back on, and it will push all the emails to you. It is just not set to do it automatically which is what uses so much battery...

cece5702

Reaction score
I noticed by leaving background data on and turning sync off I can use the market now. Ill see which one works. Thanks :)

dcook12

Reaction score

Thanks..looks like I had it backwards, but noticed quite a difference so thought I had the right one turned off. I just set it to what you said above and will see if I see more bat life than the way I had it set. Thanks for clearing that up..

Hi Angry Hatter. I tried switching the settings to what you suggested and here is what I experienced:

After reading CECE's post, I turned off backround data. When I am at work, I can't even get 8 hrs out of my battery. It is down to where it turns off. I have to charge it on my way home in my car. Turned of backround data and amazingly I had 75% of battery left after work. On Saturday I used it all day with no charge necessary. After reading your post and turning BD back on and sync off, I charged my phone fully, went to bed with it unplugged and seven hours later after I got up with no activity, I only had 50% of battery this morning. So I changed the settings back and recharged. I just got back from a birthday party...I unplugged it at 10 this morning and now it's a little after 5. I showed several you tube videos to my daughter, was on line for over an hour, sent and received several text messages and made a few phone calls and I have over 90% of my battery left. I haven't had this setting on long enough to see what it might affect, but at least on my phone it was a night and day difference. Oh and I also set it on to sync my email accounts twice and then back off after they synced. So not sure since there are so many setting on each phone what is different, but just shutting off sync actually sucked the life out of my battery, shutting off backround data increased it dramatically. So I'm not sure why we are seeing such different results. Just wanted to let you know what my experience was based on the setups we were both talking about so maybe someone else can try each to see if they see any difference...Thanks for giving me another set of settings to try!! Seems like all settings are trial and error and each phone or battery is different....

cece5702

Reaction score
Today I left background data on and auto sync on and went into my email settings and changed the settings to check for emails every hour instead of fifteen minutes. Now at 5 pm in the evening im at 80% . I guess you have to play around with it to see which method works best. I'll try turning off sync & leaving background data on tomorrow and see where that leaves my battery :) hour