OBEX file transfer on android

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
anyone know if theres an app that allows the droid to send pictures via bluetooth to those kiosks at the drug store? when i tried it shows the computer as headphones not a printer. or does android just not support OBEX file transfer? a friend has a google phone and cant do it either.

TheHoovie

Reaction score
It's not Android, It's the MFG or the Carrier

The operating system (Windows Mobile, BB, Android, etc.) is not what will limit you on Bluetooth connectivity and support. You did not say which android phone you have or who your carrier is. But I would put $ on it is Verizon that is blocking your phones Bluetooth’s features. All of VZWs Android phones say this on their product details page "supports Bluetooth Profiles for wireless headsets, hands–free accessories, stereo and phonebook access. It does not support all object exchange (OBEX) profiles." Call your carrier and tell them you want to be able to connect to your Bluetooth printer and your phone won't let you, and then tell them you’re going to send it back since they crippled it. Drop VZW and go with a provider that won't cripple your device then charge you more money.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
But I would put $ on it is Verizon that is blocking your phones Bluetooth’s features.
Nonsense. VZW hasn't restricted the Droid in any way. They certainly were notorious for crippling phones back in the day though.

OP -- get the Bluetooth File Transfer app.

TheHoovie

Reaction score
Verizon Wireless has crippled the Droid from Motorola

Yes, I can guarentee you that Verizon Wireless has crippled some of the hardware features from Motorola for the Driod. OBEX Bluetooth support being one of them. I sent mine back.

And yes, VZW still does disable certain hardware features on their devices and still charges more money for their services.

IMHO, drop VZW like a bad habit.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Yes, I can guarentee you that Verizon Wireless has crippled some of the hardware features from Motorola for the Driod. OBEX Bluetooth support being one of them. I sent mine back.

And yes, VZW still does disable certain hardware features on their devices and still charges more money for their services.

That's interesting since I've transferred files from my Motorola Droid to my Laptop over bluetooth. I guess Verizon forgot to disable it on my Droid??

No...Verizon is not doing anything to the Droids which is a nice change compared to how they crippled all their past phones.

Phreaker47

Reaction score

That's interesting since I've transferred files from my Motorola Droid to my Laptop over bluetooth. I guess Verizon forgot to disable it on my Droid??

No...Verizon is not doing anything to the Droids which is a nice change compared to how they crippled all their past phones.

Seconded... "Bluetooth File Transfer" does it all. There are cases where PC bluetooth drivers can be lacking though. In Win7 the native drivers do the job, but in WinXP I still have the good old Widcomm stack which ensures I can use all the features.

Tip: You can use BT File transfer to install apps... just put APK files in your bluetooth exchange folder on the PC, and when you transfer them to the phone, they will install!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
But I would put $ on it is Verizon that is blocking your phones Bluetooth’s features.
Nonsense. VZW hasn't restricted the Droid in any way. They certainly were notorious for crippling phones back in the day though.

OP -- get the Bluetooth File Transfer app.

+1 for Bluetooth File Transfer, although I mainly use it to send my contacts to the phonebook in my car.

TheHoovie

Reaction score
Verizon Does Bock Hardware Features from Motorola

I'm sorry you believe that all of the Moto Droids Hardware features are available to VZW customers.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I'm sorry you believe that all of the Moto Droids Hardware features are available to VZW customers.

Umm, bluetooth is a software feature, and the software is completely open....so.....

damn, hook, line and sinker. You win this time, Troll!

TheHoovie

Reaction score
yea ok

My point exactly as VZW uses software to disable hardware features.

Last time I checked, bluetooth was radio technology. Radios of this type require both the software and the hardware to function.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
My point exactly as VZW uses software to disable hardware features.
On your LG, perhaps yes. On the Droid, no.
Last time I checked, bluetooth was radio technology. Radios of this type require both the software and the hardware to function.
Wow, thanks for the lesson. The hardware is a dumb device, it either works or doesn't. The SOFTWARE is what provides the profiles and how it can/can't connect. In the case of android-based devices, different apps can attach to different profiles. Lots of different music players can listen for A2DP media controls, for example. And Bluetooth FTP CAN AND DOES obex ftp.

[video=youtube;Cdiz0k0Rudw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdiz0k0Rudw"]YouTube - Boxxy - Trollin' Loop[/video]

I dunno what to tell you, man. I just DID an obex send JUST NOW. Worked 100% just fine. What do you want, screenshots? Your LG, on the other hand, is a different story...

Last edited: