1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

O.K. got my new droid...gonna root..HELP

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by dolfanpete, Aug 25, 2010.

1. dolfanpete

dolfanpete New Member

hello droid fans! i just got my replacement phone (2nd one) and it seems pretty good. i got the 2.2 update as well. NOW I WANT to ROOT! i am going to root with easy root program. but my question is what should i do first?

purchase
    1-Easy Root, then root it?
    2-Rom Manager Pro, then pick a rom? (which one?)<---not sure
    3-purchase the apps Easy Root recomends, busy box, etc?
    4-Set CPU,Quadrant...<----what else?
    5-Purchase, or update somehow the kernel? (have no idea how to do that)
    6-A theme---is there a really easy way to get a theme? i mean easy as download, install boom your done..that's how easy I would like it to be. MY phone got messed up last time i got to this point, it would not turn on. hence my new phones

as you can see i just don't know what to do first, or does it matter. the two things i would like to get done finally and never could do is update my kernel, is that easy? and get a theme in a super easy way.

I know i'll get a link to read how to's and that will be fine, but some definate answers here would help. if i get some answers right away that say, hey get easy root first for example, i'll get it then root....and so forth.
    thank you all in advance.......
  2. Abe21599

Abe21599 RS/Moderator

check out link 2 and link 4 in my sig

you want to do A LOT to your phone; therefore, you need to read a lot about it
  3. kennydied23

kennydied23 Member

Here's a way you could do it:

Download Universal Androot for free:
    [APP] [ROOT] 1-click root for N1 (Latest ver: 1.6.1) - xda-developers
    Not sure if it works with 2.2, but it's worth a shot.

Or you can buy easyroot if you want.

For roms, either go to the link in my sig and install them with rom manager, or download them from rom manager (with the paid version). Either way, make sure you have rom manager.

For themes, you'd have to browse the forum, but I'd suggest Liquid Frozen Yogurt v1.5 because those are some nice themes.

You can also find froyo kernels in the thread in my sig.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  4. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    As Abe said, read the links in our signatures. You are wanting to do a lot and really should read a little bit before you jump in. If you follow the steps in my signature guide to rooting you do not have to pay for anything and you will be rooted.
  5. dolfanpete

dolfanpete New Member

thank you for the info, i'm currently looking at the thread. is there an easy way for that theme you suggested? like with the phone click to download install..that easy?
  6. dolfanpete

dolfanpete New Member

OK....so i should get easy root app first?.....right?
  7. Bxrider117

Bxrider117 New Member

I used easy root yesterday on my replacement Droid and i was impressed at how "easy" it was. Well worth the $.99 donation. It was a little more scary back when I 1st got my Droid and rooted Android 2.0.1.

When you download Easy Root you have to go to their website and pay for an access key.
  8. dolfanpete

dolfanpete New Member

what did you do after you got the easy root. i know you just install, then you get the unroot options, etc. and it recomends other apps to get so i'll get them. now, what did you do next?

Rom manager, to choose a rom?
    theme?
    kernel?
  9. dolfanpete

dolfanpete New Member

i'm on my 2nd replacement in 2 days...dont get me started on that.
  10. Bxrider117

Bxrider117 New Member

I am running FRG22D from MyDroidWorld - Your #1 Android source! with a 1000mhz kernel. My old droid, I could easily oush a 1200mhz kernel, but this phone goes into a boot loop with kernels that high.

As far roms from Rom Manager, I really like liquids roms. He is on Rom Manager, but i think you have to have the paid version of rom manager. I have it and I will say it is worth it. Liquids rom is built from FRG22, I would flash that with any of his themes. I am sure the theme will be a choice when flashing the rom.
  11. dolfanpete

dolfanpete New Member

is frg22d a rom? and can you get it through the rom manager?? also, i cant install busybox for some reason, have you seen that?
  12. Bxrider117

Bxrider117 New Member

After rooting with Easy Root you need to reboot your phone first before installing anything.
  13. dolfanpete

dolfanpete New Member

ok, yeahhhh. i rebooted, and reinstalled busybox and got it! and i installed rom manager pro.....thats enough for today....tomorow i will pick out a ROM.....Liquids, here i come!
  14. dolfanpete

dolfanpete New Member

Ok. What a busy morning! I am rooted!
    Liquid yogurt
    Smoked theme
    7 slot kernel (I hope that makes sense)

My question now is, why can't I change my set CPU how I want it? Its stuck on 600 Max when I should be able to go up to 1000! What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance
  15. dolfanpete

dolfanpete New Member

I just ran into a little problem. When on a phone call, the other party can be heard but very faintly with sound turned up (in call volume) but on speaker its as loud as ever. What can I check for that?