O Clockwork

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by BlueSami, Aug 14, 2010.

1. BlueSami

BlueSami Member

Ratings:
    +0
    O clockwork o clockwork why do you temp me so.

it is so temping to try and use clockwork sometimes to install simple files.
    but man it is such a b*tch. i tried to installed it yesterday it was a no go. so i said fine be that way.. well today when i tried to get in to recovery. it wouldn't go. (i know this is a common problem)

But who else gets temped by the devil?? i need to just delete RM. I HATE IT! lol

2. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator
    Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +3
    Sami go with your instincts....get rid of it!!!

3. YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth Theme Developer
    Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +260
    I tell ya, I am right there with you! RM really screwed me last week; went through the steps of making a backup, set the phone down to do something else. When I came back it was through making the "backup" - tried to install theme and went into boot loop. Boot into recovery only to find that RM apparently did not :icon_evil: make a backup!! What a PITA! Think I'll reacquaint myself with SPR!!!

4. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    I've never liked RM. It can and will leave you hanging sooner or later. The only thing I think it is good for now is to flash SPR or Clockwork. And even then, you need to flash your choice over and over until the install notification pop-up comes back really quickly or, in most cases, you will not have a good install.

My phone has a annoying habit right now with either of the recovery programs. It will reboot after I make one or two selections. I have discovered that when it does that if I immediately press and hold the X key while it tries to reboot, it will go back into the recovery program and all will work 100% after that. I have to go through this little "reboot to recovery" about 1/3 of the time now.

The first time this happened while I was SPR (which has been my preferred recovery program since December) I immediately switched to Clockwork. I must say that Clockwork's additional options, especially not having to rename installation files, has gotten me to using it more and more. One additional note on clockwork, I find that the older version, 2.0.1.3 is much more stable than any of the other versions and I use it exclusively now.

YMMV!!!

5. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +22
    Never had a problem with Rom Manger or ClockworkMod Recovery. I've flashed 3 or 4 times a week while working on my own ROM, installed the leaked releases FRF57, 84B, FRG01, FRG22, CyanogenMod RC1, RC2, and just don't have any problems.

You have to make sure ClockworkMod flashed correctly....if it takes longer than 2-3 seconds to return a "success" on flashing it....it didn't take. I always flash it (it downloads it first...so that first time takes longer) then I flash it immediately after to make sure it did. If it is longer than 2-3 seconds on that second "flash" I flash SPRecovery from Rom Manger, then go back and flash ClockworkMod again.

To test this after one of my ROM installs I saw ClockworkMod Recovery take 5-10 seconds to return a "success" on the second "flashing". I clicked boot into recovery and it went to the M screen and stayed there until I did a battery pull. I was pretty confident it would so wasn't surprised. I pulled the battery, booted the phone back up and flashed SPRecover from RM and then flashed ClockworkMod back. Second "flashing" and in 2-3 seconds I got "success" so I knew it would work. Clicked 'Reboot into Recovery' and it rebooted into recovery.

This is an issue yes, you should only need to flash it and be done....but it's easily avoidable and nothing major as all it does is prevent your phone from booting into recovery, not from booting.

6. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator
    Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +3
    Exactly right....it is an issue and the "fix" should be stated somewhere as a popup or in the app description itself before "newbies" attempt to use it. Until that happens I will continue to discourage people to use it. It's not fair to our rescue squad or the poor newbie that has to start a thread called "omg please help me!!!!". The dev knows this is a problem and has known for months and does nothing about it. At least make a popup warning with instructions.

7. BlueSami

BlueSami Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @tcrews. Iam surprised that you think this issue is acceptable. As the post above stated this has been going on for a while and the devs just ignore it.
    I think I will delete it. Just so Iam not tempted anymore. Lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +22
    Well it works, has better features than SPRecovery and I use it regularly. Maybe one out of 50 times (of flashing clockwork) would I have to reflash it. Since I don't have to reflash it except after changing a ROM it's not an issue for ME.

I pay attention to what I'm doing...so I know if it's going to work or not and have no concern that it won't (as the "fix" is simple enough).

Yes I think the developers should fix this.....no it won't stop me from using a superior tool over SPRecovery.