NYTimes app removed from market?

I Saw OJ

Reaction score
Last night I installed a custom ROM on my droid without doing a backup(dumb me). Anyway, today I've been going through and installing a lot of the apps I used to have but cant seem to find the NYTimes app that I used quite a bit. Anyone have any idea if they removed it for good? Or perhaps someplace I could download the apk? Thanks a lot.

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Depending on what ROM YOU installed some apps are not there for some roms to download WHAT HAS WORKED FOR ME IS SOMETHING CALLED the market fix or the market hack making your phone thinking it is running stock 2.1 android also in some cases this is also called the 2.1 fingerprint same as market hack/market fix

P.s just searched android market it is there for me

just search the marketfix/markethack/2.1 fingerprint an install/flash it without wipeing data & IT SHOULD BE THERE

i AM CURRENTLY RUNNING ANDROID 2.2 AKA fROYo ultimate droid rom

OP
I

I Saw OJ

Reaction score
Depending on what ROM YOU installed some apps are not there for some roms to download WHAT HAS WORKED FOR ME IS SOMETHING CALLED the market fix or the market hack making your phone thinking it is running stock 2.1 android also in some cases this is also called the 2.1 fingerprint same as market hack/market fix

P.s just searched android market it is there for me

just search the marketfix/markethack/2.1 fingerprint an install/flash it without wipeing data & IT SHOULD BE THERE

i AM CURRENTLY RUNNING ANDROID 2.2 AKA fROYo ultimate droid rom

Market fix worked like a charm, thanks a bunch Wozzy!
dancedroid

DarrellM5

Reaction score
Maybe they pulled it. Could be related to that "Google Removes Nazi and Hitler Theme from Android Market" thread. :rofl2:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe they pulled it. Could be related to that "Google Removes Nazi and Hitler Theme from Android Market" thread. :rofl2:
If they didn't pull the FoxNews app, they certainly won't pull the New York Times application.

skeezicks

Reaction score
Last night I installed a custom ROM on my droid without doing a backup(dumb me). Anyway, today I've been going through and installing a lot of the apps I used to have but cant seem to find the NYTimes app that I used quite a bit. Anyone have any idea if they removed it for good? Or perhaps someplace I could download the apk? Thanks a lot.

Yes. That's very unsettling, when you install a ROM and suddenly can't find the apps you're used to seeing in the Market. The same thing happened to me: I became entirely impatient with Verizon's Froyo roll-out and decided to root my phone (using Easy Root -- fabulously easy to use, good job!) and Clockwork's Rom Manager (fabulously easy to use -- once again, good job!). I ended up using a "stock" Froyo FRG22 that I picked up from a link up here.

All was working without a hitch, or so I thought, but then I discovered that I couldn't find the New York Times app in the marketplace, along with several others that are discussed up here on the web, most notably the Skype app.

There are links dating back to June of 2010 to a "Market Fix," and I used Rom Manager to install that. Although that worked -- I was able to see the apps in the market that had been previously missing, I wasn't happy, that the Froyo build seemed like an interim issue. (Sorry, I forgot to write down the information as reported in the Build Number field in Android's settings screen).

Somewhere along the line, I decided to install the FRG01B ROM that Clockwork's ROM Manager makes available, and that seems to solve all my problems. I can find New York Times in my apps market, along with Skype, and the build is the one which seems to be currently pushed by Verizon. The only glitch was Swype, and that was fixed by uninstalling the program and then reinstalling using the Swype Installer that I kept on my phone (I'll gladly flesh that out, although it's been much discussed on this board and on the web, so that's probably unnecessary).

So -- the fix I'm suggesting is to flash the FRG01B that you'll find on ROM manager. My hunch is that this is the same code which Verizon pushed in the recent upgrade, although I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's found differences between the "official" version and this one.

Cheers,

jb

BuglessFan

Reaction score
Titanium Backup.

I schedule regular backups. Wiping doesn't wipe the SD Card :)

It's saved my bacon a few times, and even backs up SMS/MMS.

dkeatscary

Reaction score
I upgraded to 2.2 leaked Froyo and NY times vanished. Bummer, b/c I don't see the APK in the Market (market fix doesn't work on non-rooted Droids) and the official NYTIMES apk doesn't seem to be posted everywhere. Guess I'll have to swing over to Fox. ;-)