Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez

kal-el-glowball.jpg

NVIDIA has been teasing us with its next-gen Tegra chipset, codenamed Kal-El, since February, and now the company has demonstrated just what sort of thing a quad-core CPU, twelve-core GPU SoC is capable of when you slap it into an Android Honeycomb tablet. A homegrown game, Glowball, shows how the four cores can crunch through real-time dynamic lighting in a way that would bring a dual-core like Tegra 2 to its knees. Tablet or smartphone.

Production Kal-El chips should be 25- to 30-percent faster, according to NVIDIA, and owners of tablets using the new silicon will be able to test it out with Glowball as the company expects to release it – along with extra levels – in the Android Market. The first Kal-El slates are expected later in 2011.

[video=youtube;eBvaDtshLY8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBvaDtshLY8&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Source: Slash Gear

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Nice. I think I'll grab a quad-core tablet for every day surfing/computer use and retire this portable heater to a desk.

Give me a quad core in something like the Asus slider and it will be perfect. I assume these quad cores will be capable of some heavy computing apps, as well, when the OS catches up. Looks like MS might be embracing this a bit and roll-out tablet compatible Windows that you could probably dual-boot (this will definitely happen with Intel tablet processors, maybe without the dual-boot even).

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
FYI, that game looks terrible, but it's perfect for showing off the capability (which I'm sure was the point)

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Yea, I don't care what game it is.. if it looks like that, I'll play! :icon_ banana:

darkmatter

Reaction score
I don't really want a 10" tablet, but if amazon's is running kal el for 450 like its said, then I might have to put up with a too big tablet.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't really want a 10" tablet, but if amazon's is running kal el for 450 like its said, then I might have to put up with a too big tablet.

I felt the same way, but here's the thing: even that "beautiful, ultra-thin IPad" is uncomfortable to hold. It's almost too thin and the edges too sharp, so you'll have to get the case (which kind of defeats the purpose of being so thin and sleak). Really the mm wars in tablets is kind of comical since no one seems to use them without cases, anyway.

Even then, you'll find you don't want to stare at it straight down in your lap or hold in your hand (especially trying to type!) for long periods of time. So you prop it up in it's little froggz case and put it at a comfortable viewing distance. Then you realize that, yeah, the screen could be bigger.

I mean, I understand people think larger tablets are too big, but I'd say over 90% of the time I'm interacting with my IPad it's resting on my lap or a desk.
I think now, as far as like a netbook replacement, 10" is probably about the right size.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that chipset will hit phones soon. That's what I'm lookin for!

I wonder...I think there's a real emphasis to beef up tablets to compete with netbooks and possibly laptops. They want it to be a viable option to replace home pcs (and I will probably go that route, as I'm sure many others will).

With phones, however, I think manufacturers want to be competitive with other phones but I suspect no one really wants to come out with "the last phone you will ever need". They want your money from upgrading every two years. So they'll throw in a quad core and skimp on other specs that again forces us to question if the trade-offs are worth it. I think carrier subsidies are or will really skew the smartphone market.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
NERDGASM!!! Seriously, that is the power of Android. Hardware developers are allowed to do what they need to with Android to integrate their bad ass chips into it and give us what we want. Will we ever see Apple doing this...not in a million years. <3 NVidia too. They have always been my favorite (despite me running an ATI video card right now...$$ is everything right now) and this shows they aren't locked in one mode....graphics.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I'm sure that chipset will hit phones soon. That's what I'm lookin for!

I wonder...I think there's a real emphasis to beef up tablets to compete with netbooks and possibly laptops. They want it to be a viable option to replace home pcs (and I will probably go that route, as I'm sure many others will).

With phones, however, I think manufacturers want to be competitive with other phones but I suspect no one really wants to come out with "the last phone you will ever need". They want your money from upgrading every two years. So they'll throw in a quad core and skimp on other specs that again forces us to question if the trade-offs are worth it. I think carrier subsidies are or will really skew the smartphone market.

Good point. Although I'm sure they will think of something to make the next phone always better. That way people will still be looking for the new, next best thing! Two years is a heck of a long time to have the same phone these days..

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Two years is a heck of a long time to have the same phone these days..

True, but if you look at PC's, after a few years you can be way behind the curve but still have a fully functional and perfectly useable computer. Phones COULD be the same but I feel like manufacturers are definitely holding back a little so that you will have reason - no, NEED - to upgrade after 2 years.

I suspect margins on smartphones are higher than on tablets. If the IPhone costs Apple something like $200 and change and it sells for like $600 they have to be making more than off of tablets. So carrier subsidies are clearing inflating smartphone prices, and indirectly monthly service charges since the carriers are passing the cost of that subsidy on to us.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Yea, if they are smart, they will come out with the 1.5ghz dual core. Then the 2.0ghz dual core etc. That system could drag out for a while and result in lots of phone sales! Another thing that could happen is coming out with OS updates that require a faster phone every year or two. They will get our $ one way or another!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yea, if they are smart, they will come out with the 1.5ghz dual core. Then the 2.0ghz dual core etc. That system could drag out for a while and result in lots of phone sales! Another thing that could happen is coming out with OS updates that require a faster phone every year or two. They will get our $ one way or another!

100% correct. That's why I have increasing disdain for subsidies and contracts. There is no doubt the carriers are inadvertently (more likely, intentionally) restricting competition with that structure. The pace of innovation - and also price competition - in tablets is making this blatantly obvious.