NVIDIA: Tegra3+ Chip Coming; Future Tegra Chips to Outperform Xbox360 by 2014

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Apr 20, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

It seems that NVIDIA is not sitting still with their mobile chip development, and that's not surprising considering they have companies like Qualcomm, Samsung and now even Intel in a race with them. We have a couple pieces of information to share with you guys. First, NVIDIA is going to have a product refresh before they come out with the Tegra 4. Their general manager, Mike Rayfield, indicated that they will soon release a Tegra 3+ chip and a Tegra 3+ LTE. "In the third quarter we'll start to see numerous models that are LTE shipped with Tegra 3," Rayfield said. He also indicated that the chip will not be called the Tegra 3+ but, "it'll be high performance. It's a pretty significant bump."

[​IMG]

The second morsel of news out of NVIDIA hints even more at their plans to integrate more advanced technologies into their mobile chipsets. In fact, their plan is to have a Tegra device out that will perform equivalent to or better than an Xbox 360 by 2014. You can check out the graph above for their expected timeline. So, what do you guys think of this? Can you envision your phone or tablet device replacing your gaming console?

Source: Anandtech and TechnoBuffalo
  2. BigZig

BigZig New Member

I would think there would be a new Console out by 2014. But i would not replace that with a tablet i would get a tablet and a console! :biggrin:
  3. GuiltyBreak

GuiltyBreak Member

2014 they will be on par with a device that would be already 8-9 years old
  4. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

This.

It is impressive that we've been able to get mobile processors to this state so fast, but it kind of isn't that big of a surprise.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  5. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

Pretty impressive to see considering the high performance mobile "smart" industry is barely 5 years old. A handheld device, using less than 3 Ah batteries with a thermal design power of 2-5 watts, performing as well as a full blown 100+ tdp machine? Awesome!

Sent from my Droid2Global on CM7.1 nightlies, along with
    Jakebyte mods, 13thangel's tweaks, and custom prop mods
    -Kaw Kaw-
  6. Quicksilver7714

Quicksilver7714 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ok, and by 2014 the next gen of consoles will have even better graphics.

I can't see my phone ever replacing my PS3, Xbox360 or PC for gaming anytime soon. The demand on the battery would be so much that you wouldn't get any significant play time. And when I refer to play time I mean a good 4-5 solid hours on an online multilayer game.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  7. Narsil

Narsil Active Member

Better than what? Graphics have been what has driven the console market since the 8-bit Nintendo dropped. My 360 already displays at 1080p, the highest resolution most any mainstream TV will display. The only place to go from here is either higher-than-HD (which no one's really offering) or 3D which needs quite a bit of improvement in home television tech before it becomes more mainstream and I don't see that tech improving by next year.

I'll be astonished if the next playstation or Xbox drops next year. I can't fathom what they'd actually improve upon.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  8. GAstorino

GAstorino Member

That would be cool if a phone had that power and a slot for a seperate memory card for games like on the Vita then you can just take your phone and sleeve of games on a vacation and just hook the phone to the tv or laptop screen, pop in the game card and there you have a full blown console.
  9. BigZig

BigZig New Member

Have you played any PC games lately with a high end graphics card?....something like Ando 2027 i have my CPU hooked up to my HDTV and the graphics are way better then what my 360 pumps out so yes there is plenty of room for improvement on console graphics.
  10. Narsil

Narsil Active Member

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. You plug your CPU into your TV and get better resolution than 1080p?
  11. BigZig

BigZig New Member

Graphics are more than just resolution. And yes you can play PC games at higher resolutions than 1920×1080.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  12. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

agreed. But these generation phones may beat the PS Vida, and more than likely will have better graphics than the DS at minimum
  13. Narsil

Narsil Active Member

But not on your television which is my only point. Of course your high-end monitor has a higher max resolution.
  14. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

No, you seem to still be missing the basic idea that resolution is not the only factor in determining how good graphics are. There's absolutely no reason that there wont be new consoles with improved rendering capability that will still be outputting 1080p signal, yet look far better than today's consoles. The point BigZig is trying to get across is that PCs already have these capabilities, i.e. PC games that push the envelope look better than the best console games at the same resolution.
  15. Quicksilver7714

Everything has better graphics than a Nintendo DS. The DS is equivalent to a N64 in portable for with better shaders.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk 2.
  16. Quicksilver7714

Ok both PS3 and Xbox360 games are native 720p there maybe a FEW, and I stress FEW, that are native 1080p but most are just upscaled from 720p. Go Google it if you don't believe me. There was a huge debate about Halo 3 not displaying a native 720p picture. IIRC the resolution was about 640p, which is less than 720p and thus does not qualify as HD.

But the same game played on a PC and a console, will always look better on PC especially if it's written to take full advantage of the graphics and physics cards, like Crysis.

Any way the human eye has an extremely hard time distinguishing resolution differences above 1080p. 2160p is not noticeably different than 1080p but it's double the resolution. Heck most people can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk 2.
  17. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

I assume so as well. I still think the smartphones will be superior to the mobile gaming platforms that will be available in a couple years
  18. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

Resolution does not equal graphical quality outright. If I upscaled a PS1 game to 1080p, sure it would be clearer, and in this case you'd literally want to claw your eyes out with how pixelated it would appear. Though it is displayed at HD resolution, the graphics still suck. This is the point a previous poster was trying to make.

If there was a 2160p resolution released tomorrow and xboxs and ps3s could magically use this doubled resolution the graphics would still be the same. PC tech advances yearly, these consoles are over 6 years old. A modern gaming PC is much more powerful than either and PC games are made to use this capability.

No, a current phone will never have the hardware to match a current full sized device at any time. But its exciting to see how rapid things are advancing.

Sent from my Droid2Global on CM7.1 nightlies, along with
    Jakebyte mods, angel's tweaks, custom prop mods
    -Kaw Kaw-
  19. akhenax

akhenax Well-Known Member

So er...does this mean emulators for Xbox 360 will start popping up for my Tegra3 device? o_O

Sweet!:biggrin:
Search tags for this page

เกมxbox3602014

chip xbox 360 2014

nvidia tegra 3 emulator