NVIDIA Steps Forward to Defend the Tegra 2 Chip about Rumored LTE Issues

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nvidia-tegra.png

Over the last couple of weeks we had a few stories suggesting that Verizon's LTE radio issues with some of their newer devices, and even the delay of the Droid Bionic, were caused by compatibility issues with the NVIDIA Tegra 2 chips. NVIDIA has stepped forward to "set the record straight". The renown graphics chip maker emphatically denies that their chip has anything to do with the LTE issues that VZW has been experiencing, and they wanted to make it clear that the rumors should stop. Here is a quote directly from their representatives,
Tegra has no compatibility issues with LTE at all. The Tegra-powered Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 4G LTE tablet runs on Verizon’s LTE network and is a perfect example of Tegra working fine w/ 4G LTE. Tegra 2 interfaces with many types of modems via standard interfaces, including LTE. There is nothing inherently unique about LTE as far as Tegra 2 is concerned.
Their logic is undeniable, and it seems they haven't been given a fair deal over all this. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, which uses the Tegra 2 chip, has had zero issues running on Verizon's 4G LTE network. So, how can the Tegra 2 be the culprit. It doesn't seem likely. Kudos for NVIDIA for stepping up and defending their technology.

Source: Android.net via Droid-Life

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I forget where the 'rumors' came from, but if from Verizon, I can see them looking for a scapegoat.

DroidxRage

Reaction score
So why can't Verizon put out a dual core phone with LTE then?

I've got my Evo3d on preorder with Sprint, since Verizon apparently will not make with the goods anytime soon. It's a shame the SG2 was announced with only 3G, wonder if US will get the Tegra or Eynos chip? (I'd guess Tegra, any takers?)

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well if thats the case, and the Bionic has a OMAP 4....its some other issue then. I cant see Motorola switching from Tegra 2 to OMAP just for the hell of it.

Whether its supply, battery life, contract related....its something if the Bionic has an OMAP 4.

accellpo

Reaction score
Well, I'm done with Motorola and Verizon. Too many games with the 4g upgrade for my Xoom, and I won't wait to be disappointed with the Bionic. Locked bootloader, Motoblur, idiotic comments about Android, and the list goes on. Never thought I'd be here, but ....its over.

The Evo 3D is looking like a stud. Looks like my next phone.