NVIDIA Shield Tablet Gets Update with Stagefright Patch & Performance Gains

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
shield-tablet-controller-header-image.jpg

The latest update for the NVIDIA Shield Android Tablet just started rolling out. This update is version 3.1.1 (Editor's Note: I remember that version of Windows back in the 90's!), and brings with it a major security fix and other goodies. The main fix is the included patch for the Stagefright vulnerability in Android. Here's the full changelog:
This update contains important enhancements and bug fixes, including:

security-icon-3.1.1.png

• Security patch for Stagefright

system-performance-icon.png

• Stability and performance improvements

system-battery-icon-3.1.1.png

• System wide optimizations and fixes, including battery performance and Netflix playback

shield-controller-icon.png

• SHIELD Wireless Controller Firmware update
Source: NVIDIA

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Excellent! I shall, however, wait for XDA to check it thoroughly to avoid bricking my recalled backup Shield Tablet.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had one and returned it, it was laggy and the battery life sucked. Hopefully the new software is better.

If they could make a tablet with the power and function of the shield, but give it the build quality and battery life of the iPad Air 2, it would dominate...

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've heard quite a few people complaining about that, Squire. My Shield Tablet has never lagged and the battery life was just fine until the Lollipop update with the bad battery issues for many devices. I now have two Shield Tablets since the recall and they both function laglessly.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, for a tablet, battery life is critical... I use my iPad Air 2 a couple hours per day and I charge it once a week on average...

doniago

Reaction score
My Shield was laggy back when I first purchased it early this year, but the first system release after that point fixed the problem and it's been gone ever since. What a glorious day that was.

Installed the upgrade on Friday. I've had my tablet rooted, and previously was able to just unroot, switch to stock recovery, run the OTA, restore TWRP and re-root. This time around that didn't cover it for me; I ended up doing a full flash back to stock, then downloading the OTA and taking things from there. Not a big deal with Titanium Backup and an SD card.

I haven't noticed anything I'd categorize as an issue per se, but have noticed the softkeys seem to disappear at times when apps are doing things, then come back afterward. This takes under 2 seconds (quite possibly under a second), but is a little surprising and could be disconcerting.