NVIDIA Jumps into Tablet Market With 'Tegra Tab'; Tegra 5 Version Coming Next Year

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nvidia-Tegra-Tab-1.png

For the last couple of days we have been watching the slow progression of a rumor regarding NVIDIA moving into the Android tablet market with their own reference Tegra 4 based tablet. We waited to post anything because we wanted to see how everything turned out before reporting. As it turns out, it looks like the intel was true. NVIDIA will indeed be entering the Android tablet market with their own branded device called the Tegra Tab. The previous rumors suggested that the first tablet would be called the TegraNote Premium, and while that device is still a possibility, it looks like the Tegra Tab is a definite reality.

Nvidia-Tegra-Tab-2.png

The first of these devices will come with their new Tegra 4 based chipset and will launch before the end of this year. It seems that NVIDIA has had difficulty in finding OEMs to use their new Tegra 4 architecture, despite the monster graphic performance of the technology. It appears that NVIDIA adopted the attitude, "if it's to be, it's up to me," and is just going to launch their own stuff. In fact, as you can see above, we actually have pics of the new device. It looks like it has a textured rubberized backing, which is always appreciated to minimize slippage. Here's what else we know about the specs:

• Nvidia’s Tegra 4 CPU
  • 7-inch screen
  • 5 MP rear camera
  • Full HDMI port, and a stylus
  • Probably 3G or 4G capable because of the SIM card slot seen in the pics
  • Android 4.2.2 (suspected)
This isn't all we have on this subject though. According to a separate source, NVIDIA is also planning to launch an even more powerful Android Tablet next year before the end of March. This tablet will supposedly be equipped with their next-generation Tegra 5 chipset, which uses their Mobile Kepler architecture taken from their desktop technology. According to the hype, this new chipset, codenamed Logan, will be a real game-changer for mobile devices. It has the potential to completely dominate anything else out there in graphics performance.

Perhaps we should give NVIDIA some credit. They are certainly not giving up and are confident they can still get competitive to make a dent in the mobile world. After some minor initial success with Android products with previous Tegras, they pretty much dropped off the everyone's radar. For the most part OEMs ignored Tegra 4 this year and things swung heavily in Qualcomm's favor. Perhaps if NVIDIA can get some traction with their own products, the benefits of their technology can start to shine. Do you think their next generation of product could swing things back around for them?

Source: UnWiredView

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
If it comes with a micro SD card slot and is competitively priced to match the new Nexus, I will probably pick this thing up. I love the Tegra 3 in my Nexus 7 2012 and while Qualcomm boasts some really high benchmarks, I'm a big fan of Nvidia and really like their 4+1 core architecture.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Wheres the new Asus infinity tab with the 2600x1600 10 inch screen and tetra 4 processor!?!? That's the tab im waiting for. Its been announced, just gotta release it. It'll replace my new nexus 7 2