NVIDIA Could be Launching a New Shield Tablet This Year (2016)

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, May 13, 2016.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

The NVIDIA Shield Android tablet is the king of the hill when it comes to gaming and performance focused tabs. Eve though there isn't a huge market for tablet gaming, you know that NVIDIA is not going to rest on their laurels. They are a graphics technology company after-all. They gotta keep pushing that envelope, and it looks like they will be doing that this year.

The latest rumor suggests NVIDIA will bring out an all new Shield Tablet this year. Here's what is shown in the FCC filing:
    • The product’s model number is P2290W.
    • The product has micro-USB connectivity.
    • The product has support for both 5GHz and 2.4GHz 802.11ac Wi-Fi connectivity
    • The product support for Bluetooth Low Energy support
    • The product measures 8.6 inches X 4.8 inches X 0.3 inches.
    • The product weighs 12.3 oz.
    It wouldn't be too tough to speculate that the new version will also include a newer and more advanced CPU and GPU, and we would bet money it will probably have more RAM than the previous gen version (which had 2GB). What do you folks think? Will there come a point when tablets might replace consoles for gaming? If so, how far off do you think that might be?

Source: AndroidAuthority

2. Narsil

Narsil Silver Member

Ratings:
    +300
    I have two Shield tablets, the one I purchased and the replacement due to the "faulty battery" in the one I purchased. My only complaints have been the 2GB RAM and 16GB storage (both woefully under-standard for a flagship device aimed at gaming) and the bad updates. Two of the updates made the tablets near useless due to massive lag. Press an icon, wait 15 to 20 seconds for it to even open on a fresh boot.

Battery life ranged from 10 hours to one hour based on the OTA update. The updates have been my only serious gripe with the Shield Tablet.

I would certainly consider a 2nd Gen Shield Tablet if the price/performance ratio is as high as the OG Shield Tablet's has been, barring these last two OTA's that is.

I would love to see them have a USB-C charging/data port instead of micro-USB because my 6P charges quickly compared to my Quick-Charge enabled Note IV.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,391
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I love my Shield K1. I had a feeling it would be replaced in their line-up pretty quickly since it's just a bit of an iteration on the OG Shield tablet, but it works perfectly for my needs. Reading at night and some light gaming here and there is all I do, but I want a tablet to actually respond when I tap something. That wasn't happening with my Nexus 7 for quite a long time.

Updates have been quick and great on the K1 as well, but I shudder to think about what might happen with updates on it after they release a new tablet. I know the OG has been lagging behind the K1 for updates and have heard the horror stories like Narsil mentioned.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Talon8Ya

Talon8Ya Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 8
    Twitter:
    TalonTech1
    I've had my Shield Tablet since day one and it really does kick a$$. Even the recall replacement has no issues.
    I will definitely get the next one.
    Funny thing is I use it mainly for editing and writing not games. LOL

• Like Like x 1