Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez

nvidia.jpg

NVIDIA is one of the main driving hardware forces in the Android tablet world and slow sales of tablets with Google’s operating systems seem to have touched NVIDIA’s CEO Jen-Hsun Huang on the raw. Huang uttered not one, but a couple of arguments detailing the reasons behind the slow start of Android tablet sales in an interview for CNET:
"It's a point of sales problem. It's an expertise at retail problem. It's a marketing problem to consumers. It is a price point problem"

While the first three arguments seem to touch on all Honeycomb tablets, most of which run on the dual-core NVIDIA Tegra 2 chip, the price point issue instantly spurs thoughts about the Motorola XOOM. "The baseline configuration included 3G when it shouldn't have," Huang underlined. "Tablets should have a Wi-Fi configuration and be more affordable. And those are the ones that were selling more rapidly than the 3G and fully configured ones," he further explained his point. The Motorola XOOM hit retail shelves with a hard-to-swallow $799 price tag for a 3G version and lacking a Wi-Fi only model initially. In comparison, the iPad 2 carries a much more affordable $499 price tag for the base model with no 3G.

Continue reading @ Phone Arena

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
price point is the achilles heel right now.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
But with the Transformer priced at $399 and upcoming Galaxy Tab 10.1 at the same price. That oughta help this selling problem for sure.

Btw, for those interested in the Asus Eee Pad Transformer be sure to joins us at TransformerForums.com

And those looking forward to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, check us out at GalaxyTabforums.net

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm gonna get a tablet in the near future.
I agree the new price points will help.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
But there are wifi only tablets available.

There are now, but initially they launched with 3G versions only. Price point will kill tablets, not just Android ones. They need to come down across the board.

sent from somewhere...

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
I agree totally. I just bought a viewsonic g tablet... due to the low cost. It was under 300 to my door, and it screams on vegan ginger 7.0. A decent tablet shouldn't cost more than a nice laptop, or desktop and they do. I wanted the xoom, price kept me away.

barski

Reaction score
Prices will get better. About a 6 months ago there wasn't much for android tablets, so one maker could set the price. Now with more companies developing tablets, we would expect to see prices come down due to competition. I expect SSD's to do the same thing.

chuck1125

Reaction score
android tab sales

Everyone gripes about the price of Xoom but would someone please tell me of another tab that can do what it does for the same price. Doesn't exist! I looked into everything out there I ***** ed myself about the price but I bought a Zoom and I do not regret it! I have some software and browser issues but theyaare being worked out! Sales issues are a marketing matter get the word out and this thing will sell.

Natey2

Reaction score
Sometimes, CEOs are forced to answer to investors for poor sales numbers, and a proven strategy (CEO course 101, taught in many MBA programs) is to point a finger(s) at someone else your product's sales numbers is dependant on.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Everyone gripes about the price of Xoom but would someone please tell me of another tab that can do what it does for the same price. Doesn't exist! I looked into everything out there I ***** ed myself about the price but I bought a Zoom and I do not regret it! I have some software and browser issues but theyaare being worked out! Sales issues are a marketing matter get the word out and this thing will sell.

When it was released, none, but now you have the ASUS Transformer which is by far one of the best out right now.

If I ever get a tablet, It will be the Transformer or one that has the keyboard dock. I love the idea of the dock. My work gave me an iPad (dumb asses for buying them) and though its 'fun', its rubbish if I need to type an e-mail on it. Right now, the only use I have for it is to access my FOG server for imaging workstations if I'm out of my office and happen to have it with me. Other than that, I have no reason to change how I use a computer and software just because tablets exist.

chuck1125

Reaction score
I understand the need to point fingers. Ipad users(my wife ) have the name recognition and I play with her I pad and it has nothing on my Xoom it is a marketing issue plain and simple. Put out what it can do and will be able to do and Xoom and Android systems will come out on top. I have walked into Verizon and saw a customer debating between Ipad and Xoom and side by side comparison I can lay out all the pluses and minuses and that customer will buy a Xoom every time despite the cost. it is expandible with more power and better in every way. Verizon even offered me a job. Lol

chuck1125

Reaction score

When it was released, none, but now you have the ASUS Transformer which is by far one of the best out right now.

If I ever get a tablet, It will be the Transformer or one that has the keyboard dock. I love the idea of the dock. My work gave me an iPad (dumb asses for buying them) and though its 'fun', its rubbish if I need to type an e-mail on it. Right now, the only use I have for it is to access my FOG server for imaging workstations if I'm out of my office and happen to have it with me. Other than that, I have no reason to change how I use a computer and software just because tablets exist.[/QUOTE

It has a Blue Tooth Keyboard and Mouse support is coming

BOA

Reaction score
Price price price! This is why I still only have an iPad. You can't just come out and starting competing with a giant on the same price level and think you can win. With time and things improving I see android tablets being able to compete with Apple. I would have bought the Xoom but the price kept me away and I'm glad I didn't buy one because there are more options now.

accellpo

Reaction score
People are idiots! The Xoom is the best tablet on the market. Ipad2 is still a big iPod. The transformer is good but when will it get updates? Keyboard dock is an expensive, add on gimmick! And if I want a keyboard, I can use my Bluetooth keyboard. The Xoom will get updates first. I'm really enjoying 3.1. Lets see how long it takes for the transformer to get it. The Xoom will probably be on ice cream by then. But hey, at least you'll have a useless keyboard dock.lol