null linked profile?

abean

Reaction score
When looking at a contact and clicking linked profiles, why does basically everyone of my contacts have an entry "null"?

Thanks

cae312006

Reaction score
sounds like your google account didnt connect properly or login correctly. Delete it and reset it back up

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
sounds like your google account didnt connect properly or login correctly. Delete it and reset it back up

What leads you to this?

OP
A

abean

Reaction score

Delete what, all my phone contacts? All the data is there, but pretty much every contact has a null linked profile and some have more than one ...

heycow

Reaction score
What I did was to unlink the contacts and delete the Null one. I only did it with a couple, but it does work. I'm not about to do it on 500+ contacts though. :) As with all things, I blame Touchdown... :D

OP
A

abean

Reaction score
What I did was to unlink the contacts and delete the Null one. I only did it with a couple, but it does work. I'm not about to do it on 500+ contacts though. :) As with all things, I blame Touchdown... :D

Being that I manually sync my contacts from Exchange to Google and the issues I've experienced with allowing sync between Exchange/Google and Facebook, I've taken Touchdown out of the equation. I only sync Google and Facebook now.

There are apps to wipe out all contacts, including null ... I think I will try this and resync to see where it takes me. I have a feeling that It may be due to the fact that I've wiped my google contacts manually and reloaded from Exchange. Perhaps there is some sort of unique ID associated with a Google contact that when deleting and resync'ing, it orphans that entry.

OP
A

abean

Reaction score
I think I may have been right. I just downloaded and ran "contact cleaner" and all my contacts are listed with a unique entry number (like an auto incremented/seeded #). They all start in the 500's ... but none are null.

I then proceeded to delete all ... *** BE CAREFUL, THIS WILL REMOVE THEM FROM YOUR GMAIL ACCOUNT ***. I then removed my Facebook account from my account management.

Even though when logging into Google, all my contacts are gone, the phone still has them, odd. I tried another app to delete contacts "delete contacts" and it said no contacts to delete ... odd again. Restarted my phone, and the contacts are still there?!

After looking at Touchdown, I realized that by default it is sync'ing my contacts. I disabled this, and now I'm completely empty of contacts.

I re-imported my contacts back to Google, allowed sync, added Facebook, and all appears to be well now ... no more nulls.

I went back in and reran contact cleaner ... yep, that # is auto-incrimented. So these nulls were more or less my own doing from wiping and reloading my contacts over the last couple days while getting my phone setup to my liking. I highly doubt there is anyway to reset this # without factory reload.

dangerous

Reaction score
I have the same problem, I do not sync any contacts with Google.

i have Touchdown on my phone.. is that the problem?

Contact Cleaner does not run on my X. what is another way of cleaning out the NULLS.

heycow

Reaction score
Yeah it's Touchdown. The null entries are linked contacts from Touchdown. I split off and deleted some of the null entries and they deleted from Exchange as well. :) So I just left the rest of them.

OP
A

abean

Reaction score
Indeed, it's something with Touchdown as I recently had to start over with my phone and went through this same problem yet again. This is why I now export from exchange to Google and sync off of Google as pending on future jobs and such, I'd rather have my primary source of contacts be from Google vs. Exchange.

dangerous

Reaction score
Indeed, it's something with Touchdown as I recently had to start over with my phone and went through this same problem yet again. This is why I now export from exchange to Google and sync off of Google as pending on future jobs and such, I'd rather have my primary source of contacts be from Google vs. Exchange.
It might have been because of TD and Google as you stated.

I initially synced with googled (as it was default). I do not do that any more and since i removed TD and re added all is better.

I really don't want google to have all my contacts...

justinwillis

Reaction score
I have a Droid X and syched my facebook contacts to it, I delted the account so that I could unlink them but now it says null where they are linked and I still cant delete them.

OP
A

abean

Reaction score
I have a Droid X and syched my facebook contacts to it, I delted the account so that I could unlink them but now it says null where they are linked and I still cant delete them.

Try using one of the free apps in the market to clean up the contacts. I don't remember exactly which ones I've used, but I tried like three of them and they all did the job. Just look for contact cleanup.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Using TD on my X and I don;t have any Null entries....must be something other than TD